•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

20x60 Pentax SP

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
103 replies to this topic

#101 RickyD85

RickyD85

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: London/Kent, UK

Posted 07 December 2018 - 06:36 PM

Well, reports are reports. From what I saw, when owning them, The 8x40 Nikon AE were really bad off axis and enough to be overly distracting. The 10x50's are a bit foggy in my memory of off axis sharpness performance, so I cannot really say if they were as bad. Sure there are many other things to look for in any binocular, but the off axis was so bad in the 8x40's, I rejected them. 

Bottom line here is, you are happy with yours, others are happy with theirs, but I returned mine and ordered a pair of 10x42 Nikon Prostaff 7s, which to my eyes are a whole lot better in other regards, such as weight, and off axis sharpness. 

From what I have read, the 12x50 and the 7x35 Nikone AE have field flatteners in them, which is probably why they are better then the rest of the AE line. I'd still like to try out the 12x50 Nikon AE to see if they are sharper than the 10x50's. But alas, I have no access to a pair to try them out.

It sounds like you got a terrible sample.

Not aware of the outer field being ‘unusable’, what is it you are trying to see in the outer field?

Also surprised you are so impressed with the Prostaff 7’s, the AE on axis sharpness is vastly superior. . 

#102 Miranda2525

Miranda2525

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 07 December 2018 - 10:37 PM

It sounds like you got a terrible sample.

Not aware of the outer field being ‘unusable’, what is it you are trying to see in the outer field?

Also surprised you are so impressed with the Prostaff 7’s, the AE on axis sharpness is vastly superior. . 

Quote fromProfessor EdZ AGAIN, (did you miss it?), from the review below:

https://www.cloudyni...remes/?p=133774

It goes downhill really fast after that. In the 10x50 model, by 50% out from center the distortion begins. Stars don't turn into slightly unfocused enlarged blobs, they elongate into curved streaks as if you were seeing a half hour long time exposure photo pointed at the north star. I believe this is coma. The further out from center the longer the streaks get. Between 70% to 80% out from center, the curved streaks that are supposed to be stars are really distracting.

In the 10x50, by 60% out from center the view was poor and by 70% out it was useless. It's not going to do any better for you on diffuse extended objects. If the distortion can be noted on star fields, it is present in whatever you choose to look at.

This was taken from a review of the 10x50, which is only marginally better than the 8x40. That is clearly "unuseable" to me. If you find the AE superior to the Nikon Prostaff 7s, that's up to you to think so. My eyes are showing me quite different and my eyes are working good. What do you mean "what is it you are trying to see in the outer field????????"

A large star cluster which can be seen in the outer field, or terrestrial views in the outer field, ar ANYTHING are also a part of the entire viewing experience, unless you only like to see in the center of the field, (which negates using the whole field of a binocular in any sense of the word). The whole field of any binocular should be useable, no?

Hey, if you like the AE, that's great. others like them too. Others cannot see what I have seen, or they are just lacking in experience, or they don't care, which is also ok.

I just stated my opinion. I hope that's ok too. cool.gif

For the record, this thread has gone way off topic anyways. The original topic was about the 20x60 Pentax, and it eventually warped into THIS.....

I got the answers I was looking for about the 20x60 Pentax, and it has gone way off topic now...

Moderators, please lock this thread.

Thanks!

Edited by Miranda2525, 07 December 2018 - 10:48 PM.

#103 hallelujah

hallelujah

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: North Star over Colorado

Posted 07 December 2018 - 10:47 PM

locked.gif

#104 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 08 December 2018 - 07:50 AM

As per the OP's request (he got his answer) and off-topic chatter, this thread is now locked.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics