•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Snapfish?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 steven40

steven40

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 November 2018 - 08:48 PM

Hi Folks,

I have no idea where the best forum is to post this. Moderators, fire at will !!!

I've managed to accumulate some nice images as I approach completing my first year of DSLR photography.

I'm not interested in making a bunch of prints, but thought it might be fun to do a Snapfish book of selected photos to give to friends and family.

Anyone ever tried it, and if so, any advice?

Thanks,

Steve

#2 donniesoprano

donniesoprano

Ranger 4

Posted 17 November 2018 - 09:25 PM

Can’t speak for astrophotos, but my wife has put a couple of these books together for us as gifts to family and friends and they work out great.  Her one suggestion, though, is that you layout the pages as images themselves and don’t use the templates; just submit one image per page as the whole page...you get more control to get it look exactly as you want that way.  Make sure you build a gutter around the perimeter for tolerances.

ds

#3 steven40

steven40

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 November 2018 - 08:41 AM

Thanks DS,

I'm curious as to how Snapfish deals with the "unusual" content. May be worthwhile to do an inexpensive trial run.

Steve

#4 HaleBopper

HaleBopper

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Land of Ice and Snow

Posted 18 November 2018 - 10:44 AM

Hi Folks,

I have no idea where the best forum is to post this. Moderators, fire at will !!!

I've managed to accumulate some nice images as I approach completing my first year of DSLR photography.

I'm not interested in making a bunch of prints, but thought it might be fun to do a Snapfish book of selected photos to give to friends and family.

Anyone ever tried it, and if so, any advice?

Thanks,

Steve

I used Snapfish in 2013 to make a few calendars of some astrophotos. Overall I was satisfied; but there were a few pictures where the color was either washed out a bit or the color balance was different from what I had submitted. There were also a few calendars with scratches on the images. I'm not sure if it happened during shipping or during printing. I would say make sure your pics are exactly the way you want them to appear in print and specify that when you place an order. I did specify that I did not want any color balance applied to my pics; but some were "off" anyway.

Maybe try ordering a calendar with a few pics and see how they turn out then maybe go all out on a book..

#5 donniesoprano

donniesoprano

Ranger 4

Posted 18 November 2018 - 01:22 PM

Thanks DS,

I'm curious as to how Snapfish deals with the "unusual" content. May be worthwhile to do an inexpensive trial run.

Steve

Yes, I would highly suggest this, but also email them beforehand, giving them some samples to ask them how you can ensure you get what you’re hoping for.

I’m sure you’ll get it sorted if you’re diligent.  As to the quality of the books, print quality is very nice and the binding is done well, too.  Not sure it would stand up to being used daily, but it’s great for a conversation/memento book.  Our favorite is one my wife chronicling our cross country road trip vacation 12 years ago...the rest of our family loves that one, too.

ds

#6 steven40

steven40

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 November 2018 - 01:24 PM

The problem (as I see it) is that we spend hours working on each image (gathering data and processing) so of course we're very critical...if we assume Snapfish is geared toward family photos, vacations, etc. maybe there are better options out there for our images???

Steve

#7 Jerry Lodriguss

Jerry Lodriguss

Vendor

• Vendors
  • Loc: Voorhees, NJ

Posted 18 November 2018 - 03:27 PM

I use Adorama print books.

The pages are actual photographic prints. These are not inkjet or offset prints. They look awesome.

Of course, they are on the expensive side.

But there is a setting when you get a book, or even an individual print, made that allows you to turn off any corrections or adjustments that the printer will make.

Of course, this assumes you have a printer profile, and a hardware profiled monitor, and correctly know now to use color management.

But if you don't have this, you can always just send sRGB and tell them no corrections. Then it's just a question of how well calibrated your own monitor is.

Jerry

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics