•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Best guidescope for TV85

astrophotography refractor
  • Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 palaback

palaback

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 November 2018 - 10:40 PM

I have an Orion short tube80 guidescope which I put on a side by side adm bracket with the TV85. My question is what is the best guidescope for a wide field scope like the TV85 f7 and 600mm. Some people say flexure is a problem with larger refractors like the st80 and that 50mm scopes guide just as accurately as the bigger scopes but with less weight and less flex. Was wondering if it is worth replacing the guidescope to get something much smaller and easier to mount right on top of the refractor. I Was going to use my Orion starshoot guide camera or the  zwo asi224. Additionally I have had problems getting polar alignment to work (seeing enough stars around polaris) with sharpcap, maybe because focal length is too long on the st80 (400mm)

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, refractor

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics