•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Showcasing my planetary Dall Kirkham telescope

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 PiotrM

PiotrM

Soyuz

• topic starter
  • Loc: Poland

Posted 17 November 2018 - 11:37 PM

Long overdue telescope presentation: https://rk.edu.pl/en...kham-telescope/

dk_setup.jpg

Also note that I moved my site from rkblog.rk.edu.pl to just rk.edu.pl - with SSL and other improvements. Old links redirect to the new ones.
  • Wouter D'hoye, PrestonE, John Boudreau and 14 others like this

#2 bobito

bobito

Apollo

• Loc: Litchfield County, CT

Posted 18 November 2018 - 12:04 AM

That's is quite a project!  I am impressed that you were able to get the weight under a C14.

#3 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Voyager 1

• Loc: Bornholm, Denmark

Posted 18 November 2018 - 03:00 AM

Awesome! Some good thinking went into that design. 

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

#4 Pyrodav

Pyrodav

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Chillicothe, Ohio

Posted 18 November 2018 - 05:57 PM

Very nice! 

#5 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 18 November 2018 - 06:47 PM

Look forward to seeing what you might be able to do with this down the track Piotr! waytogo.gif

Apart from other unwieldy experiments with Newts that aren't very transportable I did entertain something similar, but it would have had to been significantly bigger than a C14 personally...& the money involved would have been prohibitive...I'm probably too old now anyway! :lol:

I would be interested to know just what this instrument cost you in euros, US dollars or Martian shekels..? ;)

#6 TonyStar

TonyStar

Viking 1

Posted 18 November 2018 - 07:24 PM

Very nice scope Piotr, your arguments about the limitations of the SCT design are sound. 

I'm a bit surprised you mounted a GSO focuser on this beauty, it deserves a Feathertouch IMO.

How thick is the primary mirror? No forced air cooling ???

In the thermal images the front of the mirror appears cooler than the trusses, which is an artefact due to the low emissivity of the aluminum coating. Have you looked at the back of the mirror as it cools?

Did you measure the Strehl ratio?

Edited by TonyStar, 18 November 2018 - 07:40 PM.

#7 PiotrM

PiotrM

Soyuz

• topic starter
  • Loc: Poland

Posted 18 November 2018 - 08:56 PM

I'm a bit surprised you mounted a GSO focuser on this beauty, it deserves a Feathertouch IMO.

Maybe later. It can be swapped for other SCT-related focusers. It has to also have a planetary-oriented motofocuser.

How thick is the primary mirror? No forced air cooling ???

No cooling at the moment. If needed it can be put on the back. I don't have exact mirror thickness right now but it's not a thick and heavy one. In total the OTA is less than C14.

In the thermal images the front of the mirror appears cooler than the trusses, which is an artefact due to the low emissivity of the aluminum coating. Have you looked at the back of the mirror as it cools?

Also things may reflect temperature of other things. I'll likely need a movie to get a "full picture" and hoping the camera won't re-calibrate/re-scale during recording. Metal parts can appear cooler, CF warmer.

Did you measure the Strehl ratio?

Not yet smile.gif

#8 troyt

troyt

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Australia

Posted 18 November 2018 - 09:34 PM

This telescope looks cool and you have some good images captured with it already. waytogo.gif

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics