•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Orion 150mm Class Cass

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#26 Stephen Kennedy

Stephen Kennedy

Surveyor 1

• Loc: California

Posted 20 April 2019 - 08:43 PM

terraclarke, on 26 Feb 2019 - 09:00 AM, said:

All I can figure is that they ran into some very serious QC issues during late phase development and early production. Either that or supply side issues. The hold-up is obviously at the production facility as the ship dates have been pushed back (and back, and back) by the various branding vendors of these instruments (Astronomics, Orion, Agena, etc.). It’s certainly not a trade/tariff issue as they are coming out of Taiwan and not PRC. I’m sure glad that I reconsidered, cancelled my order, and got my money back before the end of last year (Astronomics). Good luck to all you fine folks who have stuck with it.

It is hard to understand how they could be having problems bringing the CC to market when they have been selling very good

RCs for a number of years.  The only major difference between an RC and a CC is that the RC uses a concave hyperbaraboloidal primary mirror while the CC uses a paraboloidal primary.  Parabolic mirrors are considered to be considerably easier to make and test than hyperbolic mirrors.

GSO seems to be the only company in the world that has figured out how to mass produce both convex and concave hyperbolic mirrors of high optical quality and since no competing products from other companies appear to be on the horizon, GSO has done a very good job of keeping how the make and test these mirrors a secret.  

• Axunator and TareqPhoto like this

#27 waso29

waso29

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Chi-Town, mother earth

Posted 25 April 2019 - 09:16 AM

finally in stock.

now where's the tax refund...

#28 John59

John59

Viking 1

• Loc: Round Rock,TX

Posted 25 April 2019 - 12:11 PM

Mine (8" version) arrives tomorrow!  The weekend weather report is perfect.  First light will be Friday and Saturday night.

I will be doing visual and using Atik Infinity camera.  I'll let you know how things go after the weekend. 

• Venetia2004, waso29 and terraclarke like this

#29 Thandal

Thandal

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: 40° N

Posted 25 April 2019 - 11:02 PM

While I've appreciated all the observations over in the "GSO 6inch F12 Classical Cassegrain It’s A Winner!" thread about how the "pros" for the CC6 I selected can be equaled (or surpassed) on other scopes, I keep coming back to, "Not at that price."   lol.gif

I was notified today that mine has shipped from Orion and should arrive mid-week.

Will post a first-light report as soon thereafter as the weather cooperates. wink.gif

Edited by Thandal, 26 April 2019 - 07:42 AM.

• Venetia2004, nirvanix, memento and 3 others like this

#30 Venetia2004

Venetia2004

Viking 1

• Loc: Lynnwood, WA

Posted 26 April 2019 - 07:52 PM

Two weeks ago I "pulled the trigger" on an  8" Orion CC and I received it today. It took two days to ship so the Orion company delivered as promised. A quick inspection revealed that mechanically the scope is perfect and outstanding as to quality of workmanship;it just looks great.The rotatable focuser is very well built, with great finish  and smooth motion.A quick check of optical alignment confirmed that the optics was properly aligned the final "word" being  a star test though...However, I did not expect to be perfectly aligned .Unfortunately In my area the sky is covered in clouds and we expect rain tomorrow so I will not be able to complete a "full report"...

If its optics is on par with it's looks, then it will be a winner.. We'll see... There are other  fellow ATM's waiting to get their CC scopes;it will be interesting to hear their impressions as well.

Vic

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1150 (Medium).jpeg
  • IMG_1163 (Medium).jpeg

Edited by Venetia2004, 26 April 2019 - 08:26 PM.

• RAKing, memento, eros312 and 6 others like this

#31 Venetia2004

Venetia2004

Viking 1

Posted 26 April 2019 - 07:53 PM

two more pics...

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1162 (Medium).jpeg
  • IMG_1166 (Medium).jpeg

• RAKing, memento, eros312 and 6 others like this

#32 Venetia2004

Venetia2004

Viking 1

Posted 26 April 2019 - 08:13 PM

last one...

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1164 (Medium).jpeg

• RAKing, memento, paul m schofield and 4 others like this

#33 Stephen Kennedy

Stephen Kennedy

Surveyor 1

Posted 26 April 2019 - 11:44 PM

My GSO RC6  arrived from Taiwan last year in perfect collimation.  In addition, there do not seem to be as many threads as there used to be about the frustrations of collimating a GSO RC, and now CCs.  I think that GSO eventually realized that many amateur astronomers are not experienced with two mirror telescopes and it was hurting sales.  They have probably assigned someone full time at their factory equipped with all needed collimating tools to collimate each RC and CC as they come off of the production line.  Once properly collimated these telescopes should stay that way for a long time since they have fixed rather than the moving mirrors found on SCTs. 

• Venetia2004, terraclarke and Thandal like this

#34 Thandal

Thandal

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 27 April 2019 - 08:17 PM

Two weeks ago I "pulled the trigger" on an  8" Orion CC and I received it today. It took two days to ship so the Orion company delivered as promised. A quick inspection revealed that mechanically the scope is perfect and outstanding as to quality of workmanship;it just looks great.The rotatable focuser is very well built, with great finish  and smooth motion.A quick check of optical alignment confirmed that the optics was properly aligned the final "word" being  a star test though...However, I did not expect to be perfectly aligned .Unfortunately In my area the sky is covered in clouds and we expect rain tomorrow so I will not be able to complete a "full report"...

If its optics is on par with it's looks, then it will be a winner.. We'll see... There are other  fellow ATM's waiting to get their CC scopes;it will be interesting to hear their impressions as well.

Vic

Vic; Hope my Orion CC6 (should arrive Wednesday) is a beautiful (in its own way) as your 8"!  waytogo.gif

Unfortunately, the forecast here is, "Cloudy, with a chance of rain" everyday for the next week! mad.gif 

• Venetia2004 likes this

#35 Venetia2004

Venetia2004

Viking 1

Posted 27 April 2019 - 10:21 PM

Vic; Hope my Orion CC6 (should arrive Wednesday) is a beautiful (in its own way) as your 8"!  waytogo.gif

Unfortunately, the forecast here is, "Cloudy, with a chance of rain" everyday for the next week! mad.gif

It will be.I'm sure you'll be happy with it.So far I'm impressed with the GSO C Cass mechanical quality.This evening the skies started clearing out and there is a slight chance that I might test my CC optics ...

• terraclarke likes this

#36 Venetia2004

Venetia2004

Viking 1

Posted 28 April 2019 - 04:23 AM

This evening I spent some time evaluating the optics of my new Orion (GSO)CC  and I was pleasantly  surprised  to find that the scope had very good optics. The star test revealed a slight misalignment of the secondary but it was difficult to notice  a difference between Airy discs in/out focus .

I  tried various eyepieces but without a diagonal none of them would come to focus even by installing the two additional extenders which were provided. The distance between the the back of the scope and focus that I measured without a diagonal was 280mm. I do not know the distance from the front of the primary to give me an idea about the total BWD.Then again I tested the same eyepieces with a 2" AP Maxbright diagonal inserted into the focuser  and just by using a single 2 inch extender all the eyepieces I used to observe M3 cluster comfortably reached focus.

Eyepieces tested:

40,25,17mm Sirius Plossl

32,25,11,8mm Televue Plossl

14mm Televue Radian

22mm Orion lanthanum super wide

40mm Orion Kellner

Celestron 25mm Kellner

Meade 40mm MA

30mm Rini

28mm RKE

28mm Galoc

12mm Ortho Celestron

18mm HD UO

12mm HD UO

9mm HD UO

32mm Koenig UO

24mm  koenig UO

20mm Huygens 

20mm Ramsden

Kellner eypieces performed really well,the stars were pinpoints  to the edge of the field.The same results for Huygens and the Ramsden but they have small fields.  Both Koenig eyepieces also gave great images of the M3 cluster ;I noticed  the stars getting a bit softer to the edge of the field but the contrast was very good though even with the light polluted sky in my area. Yes, I could notice 4 spikes on brighter stars but that does not bother me at all.

So far I'm very pleased with these preliminary test results;for the price it's not bad at all.After I'll slightly touch the  secondary  alignment I'm curious to see how it performs  on  planets and the moon.I'm sure that everyone will love their Classical Cassegrains... It seems like GSO has done a great job with these,both mechanically and optically...

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1193 (Medium).jpeg
  • IMG_1207 (Medium).jpeg
  • IMG_1191 (Medium).jpeg

Edited by Venetia2004, 28 April 2019 - 04:37 AM.

• memento, Astrojensen, denis0007dl and 4 others like this

#37 terraclarke

terraclarke

ISS

• Loc: Terra Nova Observatory

Posted 28 April 2019 - 09:05 AM

I would love for someone having this and either an Orion 6” Mak or a friend with an Orion 6” Mak do a side by side test.
  • memento likes this

#38 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Aurora

• -----
  • Loc: Ajman - UAE

Posted 28 April 2019 - 10:08 AM

For those who have 6" or 7" Mak, what kind of focuser do you use?

#39 Kevin Barker

Kevin Barker

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Auckland, NZ

Posted 28 April 2019 - 12:19 PM

I have a 6 inch IM Mak. I use the focuser the scope came with.

I also have a 7 inch IM Mak and for this I use a feathertouch focuser. This adds quite a bit of mass to the set up but is necessary for fine focus.

• TareqPhoto likes this

#40 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Aurora

• -----
  • Loc: Ajman - UAE

Posted 28 April 2019 - 12:38 PM

I have a 6 inch IM Mak. I use the focuser the scope came with.

I also have a 7 inch IM Mak and for this I use a feathertouch focuser. This adds quite a bit of mass to the set up but is necessary for fine focus.

Ah i see, thank you very much!

#41 Thandal

Thandal

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 28 April 2019 - 05:51 PM

@Venetia2004;  Loved seeing that Edmund Scientific RKE eyepiece in your collection.  I still have the 15mm one that came with the very first scope I purchased with my own money oh-these-many years ago.  (Still have the OTA as well, but that's another story. wink.gif )

Edited by Thandal, 28 April 2019 - 05:53 PM.

• Venetia2004 likes this

#42 Stephen Kennedy

Stephen Kennedy

Surveyor 1

Posted 28 April 2019 - 07:04 PM

With my TPO RC6, also made by GSO, my only complaint is that it can only reach focus with one of the extenders on it when using my Canon T3 DSLR for imaging but if I want to use it visually it needs to have both extenders attached to reach focus which is a little inconvenient.  However, since I am using this OTA almost exclusively as an astrograph I leave just one extender on it. 

• Venetia2004 likes this

#43 doug mc

doug mc

Viking 1

• Loc: Tamborine Mountain Australia

Posted 28 April 2019 - 07:30 PM

I use a Baader 1.25 T2 prism and a GSO two inch dielectric diagonal on my cc8 without extension rings. The T2 allows me to reach native focus, with my bino and i use a 35mm eyepiece extension holder mounted in the eyepiece side of the two inch diagonal for mono viewing. I still find the William Optics 1.6x ocs useful for luna and planetary with longer focal length eyepieces. This saves remove replace of extension rings.

Edited by doug mc, 28 April 2019 - 07:31 PM.

#44 doug mc

doug mc

Viking 1

• Loc: Tamborine Mountain Australia

Posted 28 April 2019 - 07:34 PM

The T2 prism has a two inch nosepiece attached. This allowed more infocus room with the 2inch to 1.25 eyepiece adaptor removed.
  • Venetia2004 likes this

#45 Venetia2004

Venetia2004

Viking 1

Posted 28 April 2019 - 11:50 PM

@Venetia2004;  Loved seeing that Edmund Scientific RKE eyepiece in your collection.  I still have the 15mm one that came with the very first scope I purchased with my own money oh-these-many years ago.  (Still have the OTA as well, but that's another story. wink.gif )

Glad to hear that you like the RKE's .I also have the 15 and 8mm RKE eyepieces.They have  given me some of the best lunar views ..,

Vic

• terraclarke and Stephen Kennedy like this

#46 Venetia2004

Venetia2004

Viking 1

Posted 30 April 2019 - 10:09 AM

This evening I spent some time evaluating the optics of my new Orion (GSO)CC  and I was pleasantly  surprised  to find that the scope had very good optics. The star test revealed a slight misalignment of the secondary but it was difficult to notice  a difference between Airy discs in/out focus .

I  tried various eyepieces but without a diagonal none of them would come to focus even by installing the two additional extenders which were provided. The distance between the the back of the scope and focus that I measured without a diagonal was 280mm. I do not know the distance from the front of the primary to give me an idea about the total BWD.Then again I tested the same eyepieces with a 2" AP Maxbright diagonal inserted into the focuser  and just by using a single 2 inch extender all the eyepieces I used to observe M3 cluster comfortably reached focus.

Eyepieces tested:

40,25,17mm Sirius Plossl

32,25,11,8mm Televue Plossl

14mm Televue Radian

22mm Orion lanthanum super wide

40mm Orion Kellner

Celestron 25mm Kellner

Meade 40mm MA

30mm Rini

28mm RKE

28mm Galoc

12mm Ortho Celestron

18mm HD UO

12mm HD UO

9mm HD UO

32mm Koenig UO

24mm  koenig UO

20mm Huygens 

20mm Ramsden

Kellner eypieces performed really well,the stars were pinpoints  to the edge of the field.The same results for Huygens and the Ramsden but they have small fields.  Both Koenig eyepieces also gave great images of the M3 cluster ;I noticed  the stars getting a bit softer to the edge of the field but the contrast was very good though even with the light polluted sky in my area. Yes, I could notice 4 spikes on brighter stars but that does not bother me at all.

So far I'm very pleased with these preliminary test results;for the price it's not bad at all.After I'll slightly touch the  secondary  alignment I'm curious to see how it performs  on  planets and the moon.I'm sure that everyone will love their Classical Cassegrains... It seems like GSO has done a great job with these,both mechanically and optically...

I forgot to add that for the star test I used a 12mm ortho eyepice. I could hardly notice a difference between the two brighter rings and their spacing in /out focus...The air was not very steady though.

Vic

Edited by Venetia2004, 30 April 2019 - 10:10 AM.

• terraclarke likes this

#47 Thandal

Thandal

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 01 May 2019 - 03:16 PM

As the milky glare out the window might indicate, it's totally clouded over here, and expected to remain so for the next several days. mad.gif

That doesn't mean that the un-boxing of my brand-new Orion 150mm (6") Classic Cassegrain wasn't exciting! cool.gif

1678793-1556741720.jpg

However, I'm disappointed to have to report that the collimation wasn't perfect, (although that may have been related to the "thump" I heard when the UPS delivery guy dropped the box on the deck. confused1.gif  )

First Light will have to wait until I can actually see the stars.

Edited by Thandal, 01 May 2019 - 05:44 PM.

• Venetia2004, Alterf, memento and 5 others like this

#48 memento

memento

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: 51N 7E

Posted 02 May 2019 - 01:57 AM

Congrats! It’s surely a great looking scope. I like the slightly longer tube compared to most Maks and especially SCT‘s. Gives it a sleek and classic appearance.

One thing you might want to check before collimating is if you need to use those extension rings between the focuser and the scope.

From what I have read so far, you will need at least one ring to be able to focus if you’re just using a normal diagonal and eyepiece and if you insert a ring it also can affect collimation.
  • Venetia2004 and Stephen Kennedy like this

#49 Venetia2004

Venetia2004

Viking 1

Posted 02 May 2019 - 08:20 AM

As the milky glare out the window might indicate, it's totally clouded over here, and expected to remain so for the next several days. mad.gif

That doesn't mean that the un-boxing of my brand-new Orion 150mm (6") Classic Cassegrain wasn't exciting! cool.gif

1678793-1556741720.jpg

However, I'm disappointed to have to report that the collimation wasn't perfect, (although that may have been related to the "thump" I heard when the UPS delivery guy dropped the box on the deck. confused1.gif  )

Very nice setup!Not to worry,collimation is easy on these with a cheshire eyepiece since the secondary center is marked. It took me less than 5 min to perfectly collimate mine.The stars are pinpoints,cannot wait to see the planets and the moon through it...These scopes have very good optics,it seems like I'll be using my UO 32mm Konig more often..smile.gif I'm waiting for the finder to arrive so that I have a complete setup...

Edited by Venetia2004, 02 May 2019 - 12:30 PM.

• terraclarke likes this

#50 terraclarke

terraclarke

ISS

• Loc: Terra Nova Observatory

Posted 02 May 2019 - 09:18 AM

1678793-1556741720.jpg

Nice outfit! I love the look of the CC. I wonder if you will find that mount and tripod adequate?

• memento likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics