•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Orion 150mm Class Cass

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#51 memento

memento

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: 51N 7E

Posted 02 May 2019 - 01:06 PM

Nice outfit! I love the look of the CC. I wonder if you will find that mount and tripod adequate?

Is that a Skywatcher AZ Discovery mount? The scope on that mount surely looks good, compact and easy to handle.

• Venetia2004 and terraclarke like this

#52 photoracer18

photoracer18

Vanguard

• Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Posted 02 May 2019 - 03:56 PM

Nice outfit! I love the look of the CC. I wonder if you will find that mount and tripod adequate?

If we are talking about the SW Star Discovery/ Orion Star Seeker IV, it has a weight limit of a little over 13 lbs. The 6" CC weights 12 lbs. according to Orion. That means a 2" diagonal and a 2" eyepiece might put it over the limit. That's a surprising weight. That's actually heavier by 2+ lbs than the original Orion  Argonaut (Intes MK67) at the same F12 (9.6 lbs). You would think that an MCT with a thick corrector would weigh more.

• terraclarke likes this

#53 John59

John59

Viking 1

• Loc: Round Rock,TX

Posted 02 May 2019 - 04:02 PM

Orion CC8 Setup.jpg

Well I finally received my Orion 8CC and had first light this past weekend.

Here is the first light experience I had.

The telescope arrived with the secondary out of collimation.

I used the Cheshire collimator against a bright wall and it was really easy to collimate.

First light night was beautiful, clear and steady.

The first thing was to establish star collimation.

For me this turned out to be a 45 minute process due to my lack of understanding the movement of the secondary mirror and star placement in the FOV.

It turns out that the star has to readjusted every time to keep in the absolute center of the FOV or it will appear to be out of collimation when it really is not.

I chased that star for 45 minutes before I figured that out.

Needless to say it was a steep learning curve. 

I do not remember having this issue with the SCTs I have had in the past.

Once I finally got the collimation under control things went much better.

For visual observation with a two inch diagonal I did have to add one of the inch extension tubes.

The views with a 25mm Astro-Tech Paradigm Ed eyepiece were sharp and very clear.

The brighter stars do have diffraction spikes but I am OK with those.

They actually help to focus by getting a single spike and not doubles when out of focus.

I stayed on M13 for the night as it is bright and an easy target for all the variations I tried that night.

I next placed in a flip mirror and placed my Atik Infinity in the rear with the same eyepiece in para-focal.

At 2400mm, M13 filled my entire laptop screen is glorious detail.

The stars were bright, sharp and I saw way more stars in that globular than I have ever seen in my 120ST refractor.

Next I added a .5 reducer to the camera and realized I would never reach focus with the current setup.

I ended up having to remove the flip mirror, the 1 inch extension and placing the 2 inch extension with the camera directly placed in the extension.

M13 was much brighter with way less integration time and stacking was reduced as well.

Smaller, brighter and no loss in details.

All in all a very good first light.

For visual and Astro Video that telescope is great!

This telescope is absolutely a keeper and will become my primary use telescope.

In fact I am in the process now in setting up with all new camera configuration.

I am moving to all ZWO equipment to include ASIair so I can go 100% laptop free for guiding, imaging and mount control.

Edited by John59, 02 May 2019 - 04:03 PM.

• Venetia2004, Phil Cowell, Jaimo! and 4 others like this

#54 LouHalikman

LouHalikman

Vostok 1

• Loc: North Central Maryland

Posted 02 May 2019 - 05:50 PM

I had an Intes 6" Mak.  Fantastic optical quality.  Beat the 10' meade LX 200 hands down on planets.  Perfect diffraction rings.  Wish I hadn't sold it.  Lou

• Venetia2004 and terraclarke like this

#55 Thandal

Thandal

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 02 May 2019 - 08:45 PM

@terraclarke (and @photoracer18);  You're quite right.  That was one of my concerns as well.

This rig (with finder, diagonal, and EP) is right at, or a touch over, the (rated) limit of the mount.  I discussed this with Orion before ordering.  I'll report any issues if/when I encounter them, but not needing to buy a new mount was one of the main reasons I went with the 6" vs. 8" CC. smile.gif

Edited by Thandal, 02 May 2019 - 08:47 PM.

• terraclarke likes this

#56 AhBok

AhBok

Surveyor 1

Posted 03 May 2019 - 10:37 PM

I just got my 6” GSO CC and am very pleased with it so far. I use it with my EQ6R Pro mount, which seems to be the perfect mount for it. I wanted it as a longer FL compliment to my 8” F3.9 CF newt for SS imaging, but also need the occasional visual scope for guests wanting to view through a telescope.

Also, it’s a beauty!
  • Venetia2004, memento, terraclarke and 2 others like this

#57 Thandal

Thandal

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 04 May 2019 - 01:51 PM

@AhBok;  Pics!  We want pics!  (At least pics of your new baby, if not of things you've seen through it.)

Seriously, if it's as pretty as my new Orion CC6, then I know it's a beauty.  Congratulations. waytogo.gif

Edited by Thandal, 04 May 2019 - 09:56 PM.

#58 Thandal

Thandal

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 13 May 2019 - 10:32 PM

I can't believe it's been two full weeks since my Orion CC6 arrived and there hasn't been a single clear night to take it out!

This is the longest I've gone without looking through an eyepiece in many, many years... <sigh>

• Venetia2004 likes this

#59 RichA

RichA

Apollo

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 14 May 2019 - 12:49 AM

I'd be happy if someone would put this up against a decent 5-6" Mak, like an ETX or Intes, or Orion or Sky Watcher just to see how it compares.  If there is little difference, then why put up with the collimation requirements?  There is a  certain mystique around the Classical Cassegrain, so I figure these units will sell. 

• terraclarke likes this

#60 terraclarke

terraclarke

Hubble

• Loc: 39° 4' 19" N / 84° 28' 22" W

Posted 14 May 2019 - 08:17 AM

I'd be happy if someone would put this up against a decent 5-6" Mak, like an ETX or Intes, or Orion or Sky Watcher just to see how it compares.  If there is little difference, then why put up with the collimation requirements?  There is a  certain mystique around the Classical Cassegrain, so I figure these units will sell. 

I agree. We definitely need some accurate side-by-side comparisons as well as more observing reports from owners of these new instruments. Particularly, comparisons with other mirrored telescopes of the same aperture. I would love to see where these stand with, in particular, a 150mm Synta Mak, as well as a 6” SCT and a 6” Newtonian with an F-ratio between F5 and F8.

• Stephen Kennedy likes this

#61 Thandal

Thandal

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 14 May 2019 - 06:33 PM

I agree. We definitely need some accurate side-by-side comparisons as well as more observing reports from owners of these new instruments. Particularly, comparisons with other mirrored telescopes of the same aperture. I would love to see where these stand with, in particular, a 150mm Synta Mak, as well as a 6” SCT and a 6” Newtonian with an F-ratio between F5 and F8.

I posted my complete set of "pros" and "cons" of a CC vs. a Mak-Cass over on the "GSO 6inch F12 Classical Cassegrain" thread.

Given my limited budget and viewing priorities, (visual-only, planetary and lunar observing) the faster thermal equilibrium of the open tube plus the total lack of dewing problems were the deciding factors for me.

Remember, every telescope design is a compromise.  Better at certain things, not as good at others.

(Oh, and collimation is simple and a non-issue for anyone experienced with newts, and quickly learned for others.)

Edited by Thandal, 14 May 2019 - 06:34 PM.

• Venetia2004 likes this

#62 Venetia2004

Venetia2004

Viking 1

• Loc: Lynnwood, WA

Posted 14 May 2019 - 07:49 PM

I posted my complete set of "pros" and "cons" of a CC vs. a Mak-Cass over on the "GSO 6inch F12 Classical Cassegrain" thread.

Given my limited budget and viewing priorities, (visual-only, planetary and lunar observing) the faster thermal equilibrium of the open tube plus the total lack of dewing problems were the deciding factors for me.

Remember, every telescope design is a compromise.  Better at certain things, not as good at others.

(Oh, and collimation is simple and a non-issue for anyone experienced with newts, and quickly learned for others.)

This past week-end was very busy for me ...I observed Saturn and Jupiter with my CC and I was very pleased with what I saw. I basically compared the images in the Orion CC vs my 8" f/7 home made Newtonian which  has very good optics. I compared the images by using  the same magnification (200X and 240X)The images in the 8" Orion CC had better contrast than in my Newtonian even if they seemed  a tad dimmer due to central obstruction I guess. My Newtonian has 20% obstruction. Cassini division was clearly visible and the GRS was very distinctive. By the time I finished the evaluation the GRS has visibly moved. Also while checking the little 4-1/4  Edmund RFT  I got the best views of  the moon in the CC even by pushing magnification over 400X;the images were substantially dimmer but not broken up. The moon was way high in the sky in comparison with Saturn and Jupiter which I observed over the roof of my house.I know that planetary views would have been  way better if they had been positioned higher in the sky and the observing location had been different... All in all, I am extremely happy with my new Orion CC...

Edited by Venetia2004, 14 May 2019 - 09:23 PM.

• waso29, terraclarke and Thandal like this

#63 Venetia2004

Venetia2004

Viking 1

• Loc: Lynnwood, WA

Posted 14 May 2019 - 07:59 PM

I can't believe it's been two full weeks since my Orion CC6 arrived and there hasn't been a single clear night to take it out!

This is the longest I've gone without looking through an eyepiece in many, many years... <sigh>

Patience,patience, "good things come to those who wait";you'll be pleasantly surprised with that scope...  

Edited by Venetia2004, 14 May 2019 - 08:01 PM.

#64 Thandal

Thandal

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 19 May 2019 - 06:08 PM

It would be interesting to hear  other people opinions about their visual experiences and possibly imaging with this new CC...

Wish I could provide a report.  Halfway through the third week since receiving my CC6 and still waiting for clear skies. 

A fellow member of my local astronomy club posted to our group that he got in some full-moon observing last night, but only very briefly.  Then thunderstorms rolled in... crazy.gif

• Venetia2004 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics