•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Finder on an 80mm Celestron Refractor

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 dallen24

dallen24

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 November 2018 - 09:47 PM

Hi.  Our astronomy club inherited a 80mm Celestron refractor.  Wooden tripod, equatorial mount.  Looks like an older Powerseeker deluxe.  The finder is a bit odd.  No cross hairs.  The finder's holder holds both the finder's front half and the rear eyepiece.  The holder has a set screws that don't seem to hold anything.  How do you adjust this finder?  Oh, the holder has a flip away mount held by a set screw.  I was thinking maybe I could remove the finder and stick a smaller finder in the holder, but haven't been able to unscrew the front part.  I plan to put on a red dot, but would like to get this finder working as well.  Any advice would be appreciated.

#2 roscoe

roscoe

curmudgeon

• Loc: NW Mass, inches from VT

Posted 19 November 2018 - 09:55 PM

can you post a photo of the finder and its stem?

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#3 Kasmos

Kasmos

Apollo

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 19 November 2018 - 10:14 PM

It sounds like it's a C80 with this type of finder.

SPC80Finder1-cn .jpg

The finder's mount/stalk is part of the finder.

The front cell and shield unscrews from the mount but there is a a small set screw on the bottom side.

The three thumb screws only move a cross hair cell which might be missing or just missing it's cross hairs.

Unscrew the rear eyepiece and look inside. Hopefully the little cross hair cell is still inside so that the hairs can be replaced.

• Defenderslideguitar likes this

#4 dallen24

dallen24

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 November 2018 - 10:26 PM

That's it.  So, you move the cross hair cell rather than the finder itself.  Makes sense.  Looks like it's missing the cross hair cell (set screws are holding nothing).  Does anyone have an extra cross hair cell?  Can I fabricate one?

#5 Kasmos

Kasmos

Apollo

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 20 November 2018 - 02:35 AM

That's it.  So, you move the cross hair cell rather than the finder itself.  Makes sense.  Looks like it's missing the cross hair cell (set screws are holding nothing).  Does anyone have an extra cross hair cell?  Can I fabricate one?

You can probably make one. It's essentially a small ring that fits between the adjusters. If I get a chance I'll measure mine.

#6 dallen24

dallen24

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 November 2018 - 06:12 PM

I got in touch with Don Rothman, who will send me a cell ring.  I'll have to glue new cross hairs.  Any recommendation on method or material?

#7 roscoe

roscoe

curmudgeon

Posted 20 November 2018 - 07:35 PM

really fine wire from the cord of a pair of earbuds?

I've seen a good idea where the wires are stretched and taped across the end of a small paper tube, and dots of glue added, and the ring set atop them.... allows a little adjustment while still keeping the wires straight and tight.

On the other hand, two of my finders have no crosshairs, I just visually center the object in the view, and there it is in the big scope, (with a moderate mag EP, anyhow.....)

• terraclarke, Defenderslideguitar and Peter_D like this

#8 dallen24

dallen24

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 November 2018 - 05:08 PM

Hi.  Received the cell from Don Rothman.  I took a cord from an old AC adapter.  Each side had about a dozen fine strands.  Couple of cheap alligator clips taped to the desk and some dabs of Elmer's glue.  Hope it's strong enough to hold together.  Oops, need to attach image.

Edited by dallen24, 29 November 2018 - 08:52 PM.

#9 roscoe

roscoe

curmudgeon

Posted 29 November 2018 - 07:29 PM

no you should be able to upload them right off your phone, but you might need to resize them to fit here.

#10 dallen24

dallen24

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 November 2018 - 08:50 PM

Ah.  I see the problem.  First you choose the file, then you attach it.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2563-1.jpg

• roscoe and Kasmos like this

#11 dallen24

dallen24

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 December 2018 - 04:24 PM

Hi.  Just to let everyone know, I put the cell in the finder and it works fine (big side in first).  While I was trying to get the cell into the finder, I bent a cross hair but only slightly.  Nothing to worry about.

• Conaxian likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics