•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

SkySafari Double Star Observing Lists From Burnham’s Celestial Handbook Available for All 88 Constellations

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#26 Rustler46

Rustler46

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Coos Bay, Oregon

Posted 13 September 2019 - 01:28 AM

Hey Russ!
When I log into my Livesky account then come back to this page and click on one of the constellations, Cepheus for example, it takes me to a blank page. I’ve downloaded several constellations to my SS 6 Plus several months ago. So I thought I would try and download some more. Can’t seem to figure out what I am doing wrong.

Hi Gary,

I'm afraid I can't be of much use, since I've never downloaded any of the lists. All 88 lists already reside on my iPad within SkySafari.

When you say clicking on a list takes you to a blank page, is that blank page within the LiveSky website, but with blank contents? When I click on Cepheus, the LiveSky webpage comes up, followed by a quick blue progress bar along the top. When that (brief) progress is finished the screen goes mostly blank for a few seconds, then the constellation double star list appears. When I see the Cepheus list the URL address is:

If the "blank page" you see is within the LiveSky website, something is preventing the list from loading. But try this. Don't log in to LiveSky account and click on one of the constellations in the above list. The reason for recommending that is I do not log in to LiveSky before clicking on Cepheus. Maybe I'm already logged in and don't know it. Also it may treat me differently since I was the originator of the shared lists.

Also you might just copy and past the URL (shown above) into your browser address line. When I do that it brings up the Cepheus list within LiveSky. There are two buttons on the top right:

• Import to My LiveSky
  • Download

Interestingly when I do the Import to My LiveSky, it takes me to a page where I log in to LiveSky. So evidently I'm not already logged in.

If none of the above works for you Gary, maybe some other forum members have some insight on how to solve the problem

Best Regards,

Russ

#27 Rustler46

Rustler46

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 25 September 2019 - 09:11 PM

Hey Russ!
When I log into my Livesky account then come back to this page and click on one of the constellations, Cepheus for example, it takes me to a blank page. I’ve downloaded several constellations to my SS 6 Plus several months ago. So I thought I would try and download some more. Can’t seem to figure out what I am doing wrong.

Hi Gary,

Have you been able to get some more double star lists to download? If not maybe the collective wisdom of forum members can resolve the issue .

Best Regards,

Russ

• SeaBee1 likes this

#28 SeaBee1

SeaBee1

Skylab

• Loc: Under the DFW light barrier

Posted 07 October 2019 - 09:15 AM

Hi Gary,

Have you been able to get some more double star lists to download? If not maybe the collective wisdom of forum members can resolve the issue .

Best Regards,

Russ

Hello Gary, Russ!

I have imported several of the lists (Thank you Russ for doing this!). If Gary has a SkySafari/LiveSky account, it should be a simple matter of logging into his LiveSky account FIRST, and then come to this thread and click the link Russ has provided. This will open a new tab with the list loaded in LiveSky and a button to "Import to my LiveSky". Do not use the "Download" button, it is much easier to "Import". This will open another tab with the list loaded into the account you will be importing into. There will be a button visible that says to "Import List" or something like that. The key is to "Import". Gary should be able to then open SkySafari on his device of choice and go to "Observe" , then to "Observing Lists" and it will be in his SkySafari as well. It is a lot simpler than all this text would indicate.

I do hope this has helped.

Good hunting!

CB

• payner and Rustler46 like this

#29 Rustler46

Rustler46

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 13 October 2019 - 09:28 PM

Hello Gary, Russ!

I have imported several of the lists (Thank you Russ for doing this!). If Gary has a SkySafari/LiveSky account, it should be a simple matter of logging into his LiveSky account FIRST, and then come to this thread and click the link Russ has provided. This will open a new tab with the list loaded in LiveSky and a button to "Import to my LiveSky". Do not use the "Download" button, it is much easier to "Import". This will open another tab with the list loaded into the account you will be importing into. There will be a button visible that says to "Import List" or something like that. The key is to "Import". Gary should be able to then open SkySafari on his device of choice and go to "Observe" , then to "Observing Lists" and it will be in his SkySafari as well. It is a lot simpler than all this text would indicate.

I do hope this has helped.

Good hunting!

CB

Thanks for the feedback and useful tips, CB. I certainly hope what you shared will help others get these lists imported into their copy of SkySafari. As for myself, the potential of the lists has just been glimpsed. There are so many doubles to explore. This is an avenue in amateur astronomy that can be enjoyed by those living in even severely light-polluted environments. 

All the Best, CS,

Russ

• SeaBee1 likes this

#30 tjbitt

tjbitt

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Central Virginia

Posted 21 October 2019 - 08:06 PM

Thanks so much for your time and effort Rustler46!! I had no trouble downloading then importing into SkySafari 5 Pro.

Works like a charm and will come in very handy. waytogo.gif   Ted

• Rustler46 likes this

#31 Rustler46

Rustler46

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 21 October 2019 - 10:16 PM

Thanks so much for your time and effort Rustler46!! I had no trouble downloading then importing into SkySafari 5 Pro.

Works like a charm and will come in very handy. waytogo.gif   Ted

Ted, you are quite welcome (or as the modern phrase goes "No Problem"). Once I figured out how the process worked in creating the lists on my iPad, it was just a matter of getting through the constellations, one by one. First it was the constellations of the season for the northern hemisphere. It seemed easy enough to add all the rest. 

The only regret is the doubles in the downloaded lists are not identified by the catalog identifiers I used when searching for doubles in Burnham's. From reports it seems the online versions list pairs by HD numbers, not the catalog numbers. So the STF or STT, BU etc. numbers are found when looking at the SkySafari information page for the pair.

All the Best,

Russ

#32 ghayduke

ghayduke

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 31 December 2019 - 08:35 PM

New to SkySafari, but created an observing list from Sissy Haas' Double Star catalog, 2061 objects. If there is interest, I can share it, not sure how the above links were created, advice?  Thanks.

Dan

• Sarkikos and SeaBee1 like this

#33 ghayduke

ghayduke

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 31 December 2019 - 08:41 PM

Think I figured it out, try https://www.livesky....list/xDqoPLCcwG

Feedback appreciated.

Dan

• SeaBee1 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics