•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

7 inch Mak , Pota 2, Stability, and Atatchment

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#26 Hugh Peck

Hugh Peck

Viking 1

• Loc: NE WI

Posted 10 December 2018 - 08:45 AM

Are you saying your Porta II is overloaded with those scopes? That's odd, as I sometimes use a Meade 6" SCT (5.0kg) on mine, and it's near the limit but basically fine - vibrations are under a second.

The ETX125 is ~3.3kgs and the C6 is ~3.6kgs IIRC, I would imagine the Porta II can handle these just fine

What Jon said. Both scopes were "wobbly" once loaded up with 2" diagonal, 2" eps, 9x50 RA finder and dew shield. I never tried actually using the 125 with the 2-speed focuser as it was obviously never going to balance properly just setting it up for the picture. The  Vixen Universal Plate also weighs 1lb 6oz which has to be included in the weight of the load. I used that to have the focus knobs on the side, not the top or bottom. Never had either settle within a second. That's why I got the A-T which had no problem with either. It was fine with the Vixen 110.

My personal method now is to have a mount rated for at least twice the weight of my fully loaded scope. Which includes a dslr. I may never attach one but if I do I want to make sure it will carry it with ease.

#27 Peter Besenbruch

Peter Besenbruch

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Oahu

Posted 10 December 2018 - 10:12 PM

How about a SkyView Pro Equatorial? My hope: Still light enough to carry but capable of supporting the Mak. Maybe not either?

The SkyView Pro, Skywatcher Eq5, Celestron AVX and CG5 all will carry this scope. Again, a scope like this needs a stable mount, and tracking is very desirable, given what the 180 is capable of. Nothing will wreck a good scope faster than a poor, or mismatched mount.

• Jaimo! and Hugh Peck like this

#28 Freezout

Freezout

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: North Europe, Bortle 4 zone, altitude 11 meters

Posted 11 December 2018 - 06:57 AM

I had a Skyview Pro with my 6" mak. It worked perfectly but I sold it due to the setup time (easy to assemble but still too long and cumbersome to carry). I suppose it can take the 7" mak also. It's an excellent mount.

In altaz, Skytee 2? It's the one I will take. The 7" Mak has a narrower FOV but if you're anyway into altaz, this one is quite cheap for a great performance, according to all the reviews. From what I read, it's just required to put new a new dovetail clamp.

I believe it's available via Canada in the USA. 

edit: I would not put even my 6" mak with the 2" accessories on the Porta!

Edited by Freezout, 11 December 2018 - 06:58 AM.

• Jon Isaacs, Jaimo! and Hugh Peck like this

#29 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 11 December 2018 - 08:21 AM

In altaz, Skytee 2? It's the one I will take. The 7" Mak has a narrower FOV but if you're anyway into altaz, this one is quite cheap for a great performance, according to the reviews. From what I read, it's just required to put new a new dovetail clamp.

I believe it's available via Canada in the USA.

:waytogo:

I have a StellarVue MG-2 which appears to be the SkyTee-2 mount but with only one side. 

It was the mount i used with my Orion Eon,  a 15 pound,  36 inch long 120 mm apo. Its a sold mount under a scope that size, I'd routinely go to 360x,  occasionally 514x . The MG-2 with the tripod weighs 19.2 lbs (i weighed mine.)

The slow motion controls are handy for tracking and centering.  I bought it for the NP-101 and its the mount i use with it. 

Eon and MG-2 CN.jpg

Jon

• Hugh Peck likes this

#30 Deepskyclusterstruck

Deepskyclusterstruck

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 December 2018 - 06:37 PM

The SkyView Pro, Skywatcher Eq5, Celestron AVX and CG5 all will carry this scope. Again, a scope like this needs a stable mount, and tracking is very desirable, given what the 180 is capable of. Nothing will wreck a good scope faster than a poor, or mismatched mount.

#31 Deepskyclusterstruck

Deepskyclusterstruck

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 December 2018 - 06:55 PM

I decided to go with the SkyView EQ Pro mount after determining I can get away with the extra weight of the mount afterall. I will be able to transport it the short distance I will be going and it will I am sure as you said support the Mak 7.

Now as I am assembling it I have run into a problem. I am waiting for Orion to contact me after I sent them a message. In the meantime Id like to tell you what the issue is. The support tray will not even touch all three legs of the tripod simultaneously. I have had similar issues in the past with two other mounts. Both were resolved. Once it was because I had been sent the wrong tray. Another time was an awkward fit that I finaly worked out. But as bad luck would have it I find myself once again with a support tray problem. I think this mount was a good suggestion. I like the look of it and it seems almost self explanatory for setting up and the instructions are clear on everything else I think but hoping you might have some insight or experience in this matter of the tray not fitting. Thanks in advance and thanks for the help you have already provided in my selection of this mount to begin with.

Edited by Deepskyclusterstruck, 16 December 2018 - 07:05 PM.

#32 Cometeer

Cometeer

Vanguard

• Loc: SF Bay Area, California or Illinois

Posted 16 December 2018 - 07:13 PM

waytogo.gif

I have a StellarVue MG-2 which appears to be the SkyTee-2 mount but with only one side. 

It was the mount i used with my Orion Eon,  a 15 pound,  36 inch long 120 mm apo. Its a sold mount under a scope that size, I'd routinely go to 360x,  occasionally 514x . The MG-2 with the tripod weighs 19.2 lbs (i weighed mine.)

The slow motion controls are handy for tracking and centering.  I bought it for the NP-101 and its the mount i use with it. 

Jon

Jon,

What sort of tripod are you using the MG2 on? I currently use mine with the Hands On Optics wooden legs, but I'm looking for something more solid.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics