•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Stellarvue SVX080T-3SV w/ .74X Reducer-Flattener

astrophotography dslr refractor
  • Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#1 Jim Waters

Jim Waters

Gemini

• topic starter
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA

Posted 25 November 2018 - 10:27 PM

Is anybody using this scope?  How do you like it?  I haven't seen any posted images.  Its a little pricey.  I am looking for a good imaging scope for my Canon 6D - Full Frame.

https://www.stellarv...plet-refractor/

Thx

• zakry3323 likes this

#2 Gipht

Gipht

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Prescott Valley, AZ.

Posted 25 November 2018 - 11:00 PM

When I ordered my 102mm Stellarvue,  I ordered their standard reducer/flattener.  It turned out the particular design did not work well with full frame cameras.  They exchanged for cost difference for one that did, but that was only a flattener and not a reducer.  You should probably talk to them about your needs before ordering.  I like that telescope well enough, that I bought a 70mm Stellarvue also.

#3 Jim Waters

Jim Waters

Gemini

• topic starter

Posted 25 November 2018 - 11:16 PM

This scope is specifically designed for FF imaging - 43mm image circle.  A 3" focuser is critical.  Having a 80mm f/6 480mm scope that has a 0.74x Reducer / Flattener would be nice.

#4 Umasscrew39

Umasscrew39

Viking 1

• Loc: Central Florida

Posted 26 November 2018 - 05:16 AM

Yes - I do and it is a fantastic little scope.    Very well built and great staff support.  So for me it was worth it.  I do electronically-assisted astronomy (short, unguided exposures) with my CCD cameras (UltraStar and SX-814) and the images are excellent.  Give them a call and have a chat about your interests.  I think you will be very pleased.  

I have many examples in My Gallery and on Astrobin.  

#5 Tim C

Tim C

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Marietta, GA

Posted 28 November 2018 - 07:40 PM

Bruce - do you actually have the new SVX080T-3SV or the now old version the SV80ST?  I didn't think the new one had shipped yet.  The new one has an available .74x reducer.  Looks pretty compelling.  I've had good luck with an SV80ST scope reduced .8x with an SX-814 camera as well.  

#6 Umasscrew39

Umasscrew39

Viking 1

Posted 29 November 2018 - 05:26 AM

Hey Tim- you are correct- my error.  I have the SV80ST as noted in my signature.  It sounds like your experience is similar to mine with the same setup.  Great little scope. 

#7 Bill Barlow

Bill Barlow

Skylab

• Loc: Overland Park KS

Posted 29 November 2018 - 10:32 AM

How do you like the SV 80ST for visual observing?  How does it do on planets, can it take higher magnifications (150-200X) well and give a sharp image?

Bill

#8 Umasscrew39

Umasscrew39

Viking 1

Posted 29 November 2018 - 01:17 PM

I think it works fine.  I've only gone up to about 70x with my EPs (I use it mostly for EAA) but get nice planetary views on a good seeing night.  Not like the C11", of course, but I think for its size it does a very nice job.

#9 moon_nut_99

moon_nut_99

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: NM

Posted 01 October 2019 - 06:23 PM

Hi Jim. I know its a late reply and all, but maybe you're still interested?

I am using this telescope. Just got it the beginning of September. I was able to do a shakedown test last Friday 9/20/19. Be more than happy to answer your questions. BUT pls be aware that I am new to ALL of this. This is my first post ever, my first image, my first trial with Polemaster, with PHD, with EQ6 pro, etc., etc., so my help will be limited.

I did manage to take 15 180 secs lights and darks, plus10  bias and 10 flats, of a star field adjacent Sagittarius. I was also able to stack and register with Deepskystacker (DSS). This is as far as I got with postprocessing. I do have a copy of Nebulosity but that is TBD. Anyhow, the final image from DSS is pleasing to me. I attached a JPG copy of it for your perusal (I hope it worked). I had to resize it to meet the CN 500Kb limit, so it lost some resolution.

I live at the southern end of a very small town in NM (pop 2900, & one traffic light). It's a rather dark place. Telescope is stock and operates with included flattener at f6. Images were taken at ISO1600 with an unmod Canon 6D. The mount tracked with a total error not exceeding 0.20pix & using an Orion SSAG with SV 50mm finder. 

I am pleased with this telescope. Fit and finish is superb.cn-6.jpg

• Jim Waters and Esso2112 like this

#10 Jim Waters

Jim Waters

Gemini

• topic starter

Posted 12 October 2019 - 01:07 AM

Hi moon_nut_99 and welcome to CN.  Thanks for the info and the picture.  Nice flat picture.

#11 Mike Sandy

Mike Sandy

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: SF Bay Area, CA

Posted 16 October 2019 - 10:40 PM

Hi Jim. I know its a late reply and all, but maybe you're still interested?

I am using this telescope. Just got it the beginning of September. I was able to do a shakedown test last Friday 9/20/19. Be more than happy to answer your questions. BUT pls be aware that I am new to ALL of this. This is my first post ever, my first image, my first trial with Polemaster, with PHD, with EQ6 pro, etc., etc., so my help will be limited.

I did manage to take 15 180 secs lights and darks, plus10  bias and 10 flats, of a star field adjacent Sagittarius. I was also able to stack and register with Deepskystacker (DSS). This is as far as I got with postprocessing. I do have a copy of Nebulosity but that is TBD. Anyhow, the final image from DSS is pleasing to me. I attached a JPG copy of it for your perusal (I hope it worked). I had to resize it to meet the CN 500Kb limit, so it lost some resolution.

I live at the southern end of a very small town in NM (pop 2900, & one traffic light). It's a rather dark place. Telescope is stock and operates with included flattener at f6. Images were taken at ISO1600 with an unmod Canon 6D. The mount tracked with a total error not exceeding 0.20pix & using an Orion SSAG with SV 50mm finder. 

I am pleased with this telescope. Fit and finish is superb.attachicon.gif cn-6.jpg

So welcome to Cloudy Nights, and this interesting and fairly addictive hobby.  The image you posted was with the flatter and not the reducer/flattened?  I’m interested as I have have a SVX080T-25SV ordered.  I’ve didn’t order the 3” model because I’m planning to stay visual and I’m resisting the urge to start back into imaging. That said - I’m wondering if I should order the flattener “just in case”. 

So so how long did it take for your scope to ship after you ordered it?   Im happy to hear the fit and finish met your expectations.  Did you do any star tests with it?

#12 sink45ny

sink45ny

Vanguard

• Loc: Pennsyltucky

Posted 16 October 2019 - 10:52 PM

So welcome to Cloudy Nights, and this interesting and fairly addictive hobby.  The image you posted was with the flatter and not the reducer/flattened?  I’m interested as I have have a SVX080T-25SV ordered.  I’ve didn’t order the 3” model because I’m planning to stay visual and I’m resisting the urge to start back into imaging. That said - I’m wondering if I should order the flattener “just in case”. 

So so how long did it take for your scope to ship after you ordered it?   Im happy to hear the fit and finish met your expectations.  Did you do any star tests with it?

I do not think the flattener will work with a 2.5 inch focuser. From Stellarvue website ...

Please note: This reducer/flattener is larger in diameter than the inside of former Stellarvue 80 Apos that used 2' - 2.5" focusers and the Feather Touch 3" focuser. Since it must thread into the focuser to reach focus, it cannot be used with any Stellarvue unless it came with a Stellarvue FSV-3 three inch focuser!

https://www.stellarv...for-svx80t-3sv/

#13 sink45ny

sink45ny

Vanguard

Posted 16 October 2019 - 10:55 PM

Is anybody using this scope?  How do you like it?  I haven't seen any posted images.  Its a little pricey.  I am looking for a good imaging scope for my Canon 6D - Full Frame.

https://www.stellarv...plet-refractor/

Thx

Jim I have this scope on order. The only difference is mine is coming with a 3" feathertouch focuser. I like feathertouch focusers and this is an option not yet publicized.

I should have the scope before the end of the month.

Edit: Jim I have a modified 6D also which (if I have the adapters) will slap on a take a shot, if the weather ever clears.

Edited by sink45ny, 16 October 2019 - 11:33 PM.

#14 gezak22

gezak22

Gemini

• Loc: On far side of moon. Send help.

Posted 16 October 2019 - 11:03 PM

And old topic, but since it has been resurrected ...

... the unreduced image circle is 43 mm, so once reduced to 0.74x, the image circle will only be 0.74 * 43 mm = 32 mm, so it will vignette on a full frame (43 mm diagonal) sensor.

#15 sink45ny

sink45ny

Vanguard

Posted 16 October 2019 - 11:38 PM

... the unreduced image circle is 43 mm, so once reduced to 0.74x, the image circle will only be 0.74 * 43 mm = 32 mm, so it will vignette on a full frame (43 mm diagonal) sensor.

Perfect for my APS-C cropped sensor or ASI071

#16 gezak22

gezak22

Gemini

Posted 17 October 2019 - 10:28 AM

Perfect for my APS-C cropped sensor or ASI071

As one would expect, given that they have sensor diagonals <32 mm.

#17 Mike Sandy

Mike Sandy

Apollo

• -----

Posted 17 October 2019 - 12:58 PM

I do not think the flattener will work with a 2.5 inch focuser. From Stellarvue website ...

Please note: This reducer/flattener is larger in diameter than the inside of former Stellarvue 80 Apos that used 2' - 2.5" focusers and the Feather Touch 3" focuser. Since it must thread into the focuser to reach focus, it cannot be used with any Stellarvue unless it came with a Stellarvue FSV-3 three inch focuser!

https://www.stellarv...for-svx80t-3sv/

I realize that the reducer/flattener (SFFR.74 Focal Reducer/Flattener for SVX80T-3SV) requires the 3" focuser.  But just the flattener that is included in the 3SV scope (Photographic Field Flattener for SVX80T-3SV)  or the flattener for the 25SV (Large Photographic Field Flattener for SVX80T-25SV) will fit the 2.5" focuser.  I was wondering which was used for that image as I think he said it was shot at f6.  Sounds like he used the included standard flattener to me.

#18 GrafikDihzahyn

GrafikDihzahyn

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Oklahoma

Posted 17 October 2019 - 02:26 PM

^This

The full frame aspect only works at the native F6 if you do not want vignetting. I'm patiently waiting for mine to ship, purchased the 3" version with just the flattener.

Here is a visual I made regarding what sensor size would work with the reducer:

Attached Thumbnails

• Screen Shot 2019-10-17 at 2.13.54 PM.jpg

• eros312 likes this

#19 sink45ny

sink45ny

Vanguard

Posted 17 October 2019 - 02:29 PM

^This

The full frame aspect only works at the native F6 if you do not want vignetting. I'm patiently waiting for mine to ship, purchased the 3" version with just the flattener.

Here is a visual I made regarding what sensor size would work with the reducer:

I spoke with Vic this morning and he said the reducer would work with a FF. Give him a call and quiz him yourself.

#20 gezak22

gezak22

Gemini

Posted 17 October 2019 - 02:39 PM

I spoke with Vic this morning and he said the reducer would work with a FF. Give him a call and quiz him yourself.

I remain skeptical, but I am happy to adapt my understanding if Vic were to supply a sample image.

But my understanding is that a reducer reduces the image circle. The only way to have a reduced image circle of 43 mm is to have an unreduced image circle that is even bigger. So if a 0.74x reducer would cover 43 mm, then the unreduced scope would have to cover 43/0.74 mm = 58 mm. Perhaps SV mistated the unreduced image circle?

#21 GrafikDihzahyn

GrafikDihzahyn

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 17 October 2019 - 03:00 PM

It will work sure, you'll just have vignetting. But we all know how to work around that with flats or ACR, so it's really a non-issue. I'm just saying if one doesn't want to mess with vignetting, they'd want to go with something closer to APS-C size, like the MN34230 chip.

#22 gezak22

gezak22

Gemini

Posted 17 October 2019 - 03:21 PM

...But we all know how to work around that with flats or ACR, so it's really a non-issue...

Well, as long as the vignetting is within reason, flats are a solution. But once the edges get <50% of the light that the image center does, there is a significant loss of SNR (since read noise is uniform across the entire sensor).

#23 GrafikDihzahyn

GrafikDihzahyn

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 17 October 2019 - 03:32 PM

Yeah, I'd like to see a sample flat using a full frame first if thats what I planned on shooting with.

#24 moon_nut_99

moon_nut_99

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: NM

Posted 19 October 2019 - 08:12 PM

I am so sorry about the late reply. Somehow I had it wrongly in my head that I would get notified by email if I got a response. I'll be more conscientious next time and I will check this post daily...

Thank you all for your warm welcomes!

Mike: The picture is with the included flattener only (f6). I did not purchase the reducer/flattener yet. I have not conducted a star test as I need to purchase an appropriate EP as none of the ones I have generate high power. It took about a month from ordering the telescope to delivery.

#25 Mike Sandy

Mike Sandy

Apollo

• -----

Posted 20 October 2019 - 09:16 PM

I am so sorry about the late reply. Somehow I had it wrongly in my head that I would get notified by email if I got a response. I'll be more conscientious next time and I will check this post daily...

Thank you all for your warm welcomes!

Mike: The picture is with the included flattener only (f6). I did not purchase the reducer/flattener yet. I have not conducted a star test as I need to purchase an appropriate EP as none of the ones I have generate high power. It took about a month from ordering the telescope to delivery.

Thank you for the information!  I think I need to go ahead and order the flattener, as I will likely hang a camera on the scope at some point. I ordered mine about a month ago, so I’m hoping to be near a ship date. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, dslr, refractor

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics