•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Stellarvue SVX080T-3SV w/ .74X Reducer-Flattener

astrophotography dslr refractor
  • Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#26 moon_nut_99

moon_nut_99

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: NM

Posted 02 November 2019 - 12:57 PM

Hello!

I apologize if this is the wrong place for this question, but since it's somewhat related to the SV SVX080 telescope, I'll take the chance of being reprimanded...

How does anyone get any color from M31? No matter what I do it all ends up rather monochromatic. Or at least it seems that way.

Attached is a single 7 minutes exposure of M31 (10 each of lights, darks, bias, and flats) done at Iso 1600 and with the same telescope at F6 and an unmod Canon 6d. BTW, I picked 7 minutes because it places the histogram at 35% to the left as I've read this is the place to be. Anyhow, I've used Neb4 for post processing and, though the final picture looks nice (to me), it has no color...

I also tried a different approach. This time by taking single 10, 20, and 30 minutes long images (with Canon long exposure noise reduction) and post processing in Neb4 and still, though the final image is pleasing, I get no color...

I've seen the work done by others and the images are simply amazing.  Obviously I'm not anywhere near there. perhaps I'm aiming too high...cn-upload-1-m31.jpg

So my big question: Can my current and only post processing tool in my arsenal (Neb4) get me there?

Any help is appreciated...

#27 moon_nut_99

moon_nut_99

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 02 November 2019 - 06:20 PM

Me again...

You all need not respond to my question above. I've taken the plunge and just purchased Pixinsight. I'll post a picture of M31 once I come up to speed and obtain something worth showing...

#28 moon_nut_99

moon_nut_99

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 04 November 2019 - 03:09 PM

Ok, I did manage to get something done with PI mostly due to a very nice YouTube tutorial. I like the color of it and I'm pleased with mi first ever effort. Didn't know I had a satellite trail...

I've attached it for your perusal. Again I apologize beforehand if this is the wrong place to post this...

kk.jpg

• eros312 and Esso2112 like this

#29 Tim C

Tim C

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Marietta, GA

Posted 04 November 2019 - 06:30 PM

you cranked out something with PI faster than I thought you would smile.gif.  I found it to be a steep learning curve after working in Photoshop for a number of years.  Now it seems second nature (well, sort of).  I highly recommend these free tutorials:

https://www.lightvor.../tutorials.html

Also - you may want to try running the SCNR process in PI (super easy, just apply to your image as is).  It removes the green tint that shows up in many post processed images.  That has been suggested to me more than once after I posted a picture.  Now I try to remember to do that to eliminate too much green in my shots.

Ok, I did manage to get something done with PI mostly due to a very nice YouTube tutorial. I like the color of it and I'm pleased with mi first ever effort. Didn't know I had a satellite trail...

I've attached it for your perusal. Again I apologize beforehand if this is the wrong place to post this...

attachicon.gif kk.jpg

Edited by Tim C, 04 November 2019 - 07:50 PM.

#30 moon_nut_99

moon_nut_99

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 04 November 2019 - 08:22 PM

Thanks Tim! I'll learn those tutorials you referenced.

Joe

#31 sink45ny

sink45ny

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Pennsyltucky

Posted 04 November 2019 - 08:33 PM

If anyone has received one of these - Stellarvue SVX080T-3SV Premier Apochromatic Triplet Refractor

I would appreciate hearing from you, I have one on order and the date keeps being pushed back.

• bmhjr and zakry3323 like this

#32 Tim C

Tim C

Surveyor 1

Posted 04 November 2019 - 09:58 PM

Mine is supposed to arrive this Friday, along with the .74x reducer.  So, hopefully will have some feedback within a few weeks.

If anyone has received one of these - Stellarvue SVX080T-3SV Premier Apochromatic Triplet Refractor

I would appreciate hearing from you, I have one on order and the date keeps being pushed back.

• sink45ny likes this

#33 sink45ny

sink45ny

Surveyor 1

Posted 04 November 2019 - 10:55 PM

Thanks Tim, keep me posted please.

#34 moon_nut_99

moon_nut_99

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 05 November 2019 - 11:25 AM

Surveyor1;

I might be able to provide some initial feedback on this telescope. Hopefully you'll find my observations of some value...

1. Now that I think back, the telescope delivery date was pushed back 2 weeks. So I was wrong above in saying that from ordering to delivery it was one month. It actually was 6 weeks. Sorry about that.

2. As I wrote earlier the fit and finish is superb. The telescope performs admirably and the stars are pinpoints at all 4 corners of a Canon 6d full frame starfield exposure. Pls note that all photographs that I've attached to this thread are done with a 6d and all are uncropped. Also note that this is using the included field flattener only (f6). I don't have the flattener/ reducer. 

3. I have not conducted a star test as I've yet to purchase an EP that provides adequate power. I also have minimal testing experience and I would question the value of my opinion. For what's it worth the test report says it has a 0.996 strehl ratio. I dunno what that means...

4. The focuser with reducer/6D attached requires about 1/2 inch travel to obtain sharp focus. The reducer screws on the back of the focuser tube/barrel and sits flush with it. There's no gaps between the two mating surfaces. There's no axial or side-to-side movement possible by applying somewhat moderate force with my hands (see item 7 below).

5. The focuser has no locking feature. The bottom screw is for gear tension only. Locking relies only on inertia between the rack and pinion to hold focuser position. This was confirmed in a telephone call with SV (Kevin).  I have had no axial slipping problems with the weight of the reducer (hefty!), Canon 6d, and battery pack.

7. I did have problems with the focuser rotation locking mechanism. I attached both a reflex finder and a 10x50 finder to it and, unfortunately, it slowly rotates no matter what. And yes I torqued down the three brass flat heads. Now, you can lock it down by really torquing the three screws, but then it wont rotate at all defeating its intended purpose. So once I find the object I simply remove the finders and solve the problem. Mayhaps someone got too heavy handed with grease...

8. This OTA is hefty at 10.4Lbs. Dunno if the tally includes the flattener or not. Once I add everything else, I wouldn't be surprised that the total weight is close to the 50% EQ6-R GEM "limit" of 20 lbs (gotta get me a weight scale).

9. Couple of small issues... The included flattener is not marked. I.e., it has no identification of what it is. Also the test report is a B&W copy (and not a good one at that). It would've been nice to have a color copy. Moot point on the last one as I don't know what it really all means...

I hope this helps a little!

Cheers,

Joe

#35 sink45ny

sink45ny

Surveyor 1

Posted 05 November 2019 - 11:45 AM

I was trying to figure out who is Surveyor1. If you are referring to me, my name is Steve and my ID is sink45ny.  Surveyor1 is just a reflection of the # of posts one has, don't be embarrassed it's a common mistake.

I assume you actually have the new SVX080T-3SV, not the older version the SV80ST? They also call it the SVX080T-3SVX on their website.

Your observations are of great value, thank you.

I ordered mine with a FeatherTouch focuser upgrade. I ordered it on September 24, 2019 and was told it would be two weeks.

I must cut them some slack because of my focuser upgrade and the CA wild fire situation.

Congratulations on your purchase of pixInsight, I highly recommend Adam Block's video series.

p.s. if you want to throw your RAW images onto dropbox I will see what I can do with your M31 image.

Edited by sink45ny, 05 November 2019 - 12:07 PM.

#36 Esso2112

Esso2112

Viking 1

• Loc: Magnolia, TX

Posted 05 November 2019 - 01:22 PM

I’ve pretty much had the same conclusions as Joe. The focuser is nice, but the rotator does not lock that well. I also have only tested the included flattener with a full frame camera, not done any hard core imaging yet. I received mine back in March, first run of the SVX version.

I have the reducer on order.
  • sink45ny likes this

#37 Tim C

Tim C

Surveyor 1

Posted 05 November 2019 - 01:58 PM

Steve - I ordered mine on 9/12 so you should be getting close. They shipped on 11/1 but it’s across the country to me so will arrive 11/8.

Tim

Edited by Tim C, 05 November 2019 - 02:14 PM.

• sink45ny likes this

#38 moon_nut_99

moon_nut_99

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 05 November 2019 - 02:11 PM

Steve it is! Sorry about the screw up...

Yes I have the SVX080T-3SVX OTA. It is the latest and greatest. It has an SV 3 inch stock focuser. I didn't know that SV offered the Feather Touch focuser upgrade. I've read that this focuser is world class. I would be more than happy to provide raw files for the M31 galaxy, but I don't know what a dropbox is...

Joe

#39 sink45ny

sink45ny

Surveyor 1

Posted 05 November 2019 - 02:25 PM

Joe Dropbox is free space in the cloud, free as in the first few GB's. After that you can buy more space. I haven't ever exceeded the free space limit. https://www.dropbox.com

It allows you to upload and give access to "public" or to individuals based upon email (I think).

I have FeatherTouch focusers and motors on all my refractors (and their software of course) so this was a welcome option, but I had to inquire about it it was not advertised.

#40 GrafikDihzahyn

GrafikDihzahyn

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Oklahoma

Posted 05 November 2019 - 05:42 PM

Yeah, I ordered mine 9/22 and haven't heard a word yet. I just keep seeing the date pushed back further and further.

• sink45ny likes this

#41 moon_nut_99

moon_nut_99

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 08 November 2019 - 12:01 PM

I've just noticed this new info while reading the description of the SVX080T-3SVX OTA (from SV website):

"Please Note: We no longer offer a reducer-flattener for this system. This is the sharpest visual 80 mm f-6 refractor and when used with the included SFF4 photographic field flattener it is an outstanding, full frame 480 mm f-6 astrograph."

My intentions were eventually to purchase the flattener/reducer in the near future when I had the money. Going from f6 to f3.8 is desirable and for me it was a strong selling point. And I do see that this reducer/flattener is still for sale (till the current stock is exhausted I guess).

So why the change as quoted above? Perhaps it does not perform as good as expected? Anyone know? I guess I'll call SV and find out...

Sergio

• zakry3323 likes this

#42 moon_nut_99

moon_nut_99

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 08 November 2019 - 12:17 PM

I did call SV.

According to Alex production of the reducer/flattener will resume in the near future. It's just a temporary halt 'cause testing the reducer/flattener is hampering/slowing their OTA production and delaying delivery schedule. Or something like that...

Joe

PS: My name is Sergio but everyone calls me Joe...

• sink45ny and zakry3323 like this

#43 Gene3

Gene3

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Del Mar, CA

Posted 08 November 2019 - 05:43 PM

I am curious to find out what targets people a going after with this scope.

This thread was got me fired up about getting an SVX080T-3SVX. I just spoke with Alex and he said they can ship by end of November. I am going with the stock SV focuser because Alex said that this new 3" focuser will rival FT. I will add the Optec ThirdLynx Integrated focus Motor because (I believe) it does not need a separate controller. My thought is to use this scope with a QHY247C (1.68"/pixel image scale).

I would be very interested to know what targets the SVX080T-3SVX would be well suited for photographing. I am actually planning to have it piggyback my 152T (1200mm FL F/8).

Thanks,

Gene.

#44 Tim C

Tim C

Surveyor 1

Posted 10 November 2019 - 09:07 AM

My SVX080T with .74x reducer arrived on Friday and then a couple of miracles occurred: I had all of the cables and adapters I needed and had a clear night on Saturday to do some playing around.  My scope has the 3" SV focuser and I'm using an Optec Third Lynx motorized focuser with it paired with an ASI1600 mono.

As expected, build quality is excellent.  The focuser is really robust and smooth (not as "buttery" smooth as a Feather Touch but I would say equally robust for imaging).  The Optec focus motor works great with it. My rotator locks very securely and works smoothly.

A non reducing flattener also comes with the scope but not sure I'll ever use it unless I want to try a full frame DSLR on it some day.  I'm really looking for the widest field I can get with my ASI1600 chip.

I just tried the spec back spacing last night which is 55mm as configured for me by Stellarvue.  Results were decent... I need to experiment with spacing to get the best results in the corners as I do have elongation.  I attached an uncropped stack of 16 light frames below and also have a link to a full resolution version.  My plate solved results in SGP show a 351mm focal length and F4.39 focal ratio.  The FOV is 2.88 x 2.18 degrees with the ASI1600.  As this is a little faster than the expected f4.5, I'll probably try shortening the spacing by a  mm or two as a first step in improving the corners.

Tim

https://astrob.in/full/idvp69/0/

Attached Thumbnails

• IC1396_16frames_cn.jpg

Edited by Tim C, 10 November 2019 - 09:07 AM.

• astrofun, moon_nut_99, sink45ny and 2 others like this

#45 Tim C

Tim C

Surveyor 1

Posted 10 November 2019 - 01:43 PM

Couple of pics with my set-up.  The riser blocks and losmandy dove-tail are good for attaching accessories like usb ports and rig-runners.

Attached Thumbnails

• svx80_right_cn.jpg

• moon_nut_99, sink45ny and gundark like this

#46 Tim C

Tim C

Surveyor 1

Posted 10 November 2019 - 01:43 PM

2nd picture

Attached Thumbnails

• svx80_left_cn.jpg

• John O'Grady, moon_nut_99, sink45ny and 2 others like this

#47 moon_nut_99

moon_nut_99

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 10 November 2019 - 02:17 PM

Here's mine. Pretty basic.

cnp1.jpg

• Tim C and sink45ny like this

#48 moon_nut_99

moon_nut_99

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 10 November 2019 - 02:28 PM

I meant to ask you all a question:

PHD2 lists guiding errors in pixels. Something like, say, 0.21 pixels. How does one convert it to arc secs? Is it simply

arctan((0.21 X pixel size)/(focal length of guide scope)) X 3600 to get arc secs (pixel size and focal length are in mm)?

Joe

#49 Tim C

Tim C

Surveyor 1

Posted 10 November 2019 - 03:30 PM

Phd2 will do the math for you.   Just input your guide camera's pixel size on the camera tab of Advanced Settings (brain icon).  Then select arc seconds under settings in the graph area.

I meant to ask you all a question:

PHD2 lists guiding errors in pixels. Something like, say, 0.21 pixels. How does one convert it to arc secs? Is it simply

arctan((0.21 X pixel size)/(focal length of guide scope)) X 3600 to get arc secs (pixel size and focal length are in mm)?

Joe

#50 moon_nut_99

moon_nut_99

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 10 November 2019 - 03:59 PM

Thanks Tim! BTW, SCNR in PI worked great! Thanks for the tip.

Joe

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, dslr, refractor

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics