•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Stellarvue SVX080T-3SV w/ .74X Reducer-Flattener

astrophotography dslr refractor
  • Please log in to reply
265 replies to this topic

#76 moon_nut_99

moon_nut_99

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: NM

Posted 18 November 2019 - 02:34 PM

Top right corner:

Attached Thumbnails

• top-right-corner.jpg

#77 moon_nut_99

moon_nut_99

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 18 November 2019 - 02:34 PM

Bottom right corner:

Attached Thumbnails

• bottom-right-corner.jpg

#78 moon_nut_99

moon_nut_99

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 18 November 2019 - 02:35 PM

Bottom left corner:

Attached Thumbnails

• bottom-left-corner.jpg

#79 moon_nut_99

moon_nut_99

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 18 November 2019 - 02:36 PM

And top left corner:

Attached Thumbnails

• top-left-corner.jpg

#80 moon_nut_99

moon_nut_99

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 18 November 2019 - 03:15 PM

Just to give you some idea of my viewing site. Just a pretty picture. Nothing to do with this post. So my apologies in advance...

Tripod mounted Canon 6d; Rokinon 14mm f1.4 (stopped to f4); 15 secs exposure at Iso 3200. Looking south. Light dome at right is Las Cruces; at center is mostly Holloman AFB; and at left is the Tularosa/Alamogordo "metro" area lol.gif.

The moon is finally out of the way and so we're getting tropical air mass out of Baja (clouds and rain!)...bawling.gif

Cheers

Joe

Attached Thumbnails

• site-south.jpg

• Tim C, SeymoreStars, zakry3323 and 1 other like this

#81 ksouers

ksouers

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: St. Louis (close enough)

Posted 18 November 2019 - 03:58 PM

Just to give you some idea of my viewing site. Just a pretty picture. Nothing to do with this post. So my apologies in advance...

Tripod mounted Canon 6d; Rokinon 14mm f1.4 (stopped to f4); 15 secs exposure at Iso 3200. Looking south. Light dome at right is Las Cruces; at center is mostly Holloman AFB; and at left is the Tularosa/Alamogordo "metro" area lol.gif.

The moon is finally out of the way and so we're getting tropical air mass out of Baja (clouds and rain!)...bawling.gif

Cheers

Joe

Great shot!

So, you must've been up near Three Rivers/Malpais area.

I had a house in Alamogordo for about 20 years. Love the area, beautiful skies.

Unfortunately, it didn't love me. Altitude caused too many health issues. I can only visit now.

Casa de Sueno's in Tularosa has the best food!

Kevin

• moon_nut_99 likes this

#82 SeymoreStars

SeymoreStars

Vanguard

• Loc: Pennsyltucky

Posted 18 November 2019 - 04:32 PM

Alex was kind enough to call and say there was a slight delay.

• moon_nut_99 and zakry3323 like this

#83 moon_nut_99

moon_nut_99

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 18 November 2019 - 04:47 PM

Yo Kevin!

Glad you guys liked the image (I thought I was gonna get reprimanded for posting "off post", or such). Yup, shot location is just a few miles south of the Three Rivers petroglyph site (and the curio shop) on Hwy 54. Going to Alamogordo, or Tularosa for that matter, is like stepping back in time. But the sky is great! Love Casa de Suenos! Sorry you left!

Joe

#84 zakry3323

zakry3323

Apollo

• Loc: Pittsburgh

Posted 18 November 2019 - 05:46 PM

Alex was kind enough to call and say there was a slight delay.

How kind. No such call over here. And still not shipped. 

I'll tell ya. No matter how impressed I am with the scope (once it arrives), or how nice the customer service remains (and having called twice in the last two months, it is very nice to be able to talk to knowledgeable folks directly about their products), this first time buying experience with SV will always be marked by repeated misrepresentations- first by the availability of the reducer/flattener, and then by the completion and ship date (twice, now).  

• moon_nut_99 likes this

#85 moon_nut_99

moon_nut_99

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 18 November 2019 - 06:40 PM

Hi all!

Contrary to the forecast the sky is nice and cloud free. Therefore I'm taking advantage of it and I just finished setting up my rig (of which I attached a couple of pictures, as I did before, but this time in focus).

I'm going to shoot IC1396, the Elephant Trunk Nebula. With a stock 6d no less. Plan is for 24 5 minutes lights, and then 12 darks, 12 flats, and 12 bias. Lights and darks tonight, the rest tomorrow. All at Iso 1600 using the included flattener operating at f6. I hope it will come out ok...

Joe

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC00612-2.jpg

• Tim C and zakry3323 like this

#86 moon_nut_99

moon_nut_99

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 18 November 2019 - 06:42 PM

DSC00614-2.jpg

• jimandlaura26 and zakry3323 like this

#87 zakry3323

zakry3323

Apollo

Posted 18 November 2019 - 06:55 PM

Very nice! Classy tripod, looks great! Good luck tonight, I'm all clouded up over here. 

#88 ksouers

ksouers

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 18 November 2019 - 08:50 PM

I'll tell ya. No matter how impressed I am with the scope (once it arrives), or how nice the customer service remains (and having called twice in the last two months, it is very nice to be able to talk to knowledgeable folks directly about their products), this first time buying experience with SV will always be marked by repeated misrepresentations- first by the availability of the reducer/flattener, and then by the completion and ship date (twice, now).  

I know it's annoying but remember that these scopes are basically hand made to order. They only make a few in advance and yet they still get claimed before the batch is run.

They've also been dealing with logistical issues beyond their control or predictability with power outages.

I've been waiting for my SVX130T for weeks and just got word that there will be more delay, the NiteCrawler hasn't even been delivered to them yet. Yeah, it sucks.

But I'd rather they (and Moonlite) do it right than do it quickly and perhaps be not as good as it could be.

Kevin

• epdreher, Gene3, zakry3323 and 1 other like this

#89 SeymoreStars

SeymoreStars

Vanguard

Posted 18 November 2019 - 09:40 PM

Not sure when you ordered but I paid for my scope on Sept 24th.

• zakry3323 likes this

#90 moon_nut_99

moon_nut_99

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 18 November 2019 - 11:20 PM

Boy when it rains it pours. And so here's my sob story for the day...

I was unable to point to, let alone frame, IC1396. Unfortunately Cephus is nearly overhead in the sky and I just couldn't bend/twist/crane low enough (I'm a fossil) to view the reflex finder and point to the object (let alone frame it). So I gave up on the Elephant nebula and pointed to M45 instead, the "Subaru's" cluster (a more much better favorable position for me). Got that nicely framed but...

Next I was unable to get PHD2 to work. First error message was that the guide star it picked, or I selected, didn't move enough. I guessed the focus was off and so I adjusted it (made it sharper) on the guidescope. That did the trick. But after a short while it gave me an error that it was unable to re-connect to the camera. I guess the camera got disconnected. Maybe a lose connection. I diddle with it for a while to no avail. Of course by then clouds started rolling in at which point I threw in the towel. Game over man...

So here's the lessons for the novice. I'll be more careful next time when selecting a target with Stellarium. Need to learn the GoTo as well. Might purchase a laser finder...

I hope you'all had better luck that me. We have a 90% chance of rain tomorrow. Very unusual for these necks of the woods...

Live long and prosper,

Joe

#91 ksouers

ksouers

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 18 November 2019 - 11:23 PM

Boy when it rains it pours. And so here's my sob story for the day...

I was unable to point to, let alone frame, IC1396. Unfortunately Cephus is nearly overhead in the sky and I just couldn't bend/twist/crane low enough (I'm a fossil) to view the reflex finder and point to the object (let alone frame it). So I gave up on the Elephant nebula and pointed to M45 instead, the "Subaru's" cluster (a more much better favorable position for me). Got that nicely framed but...

Next I was unable to get PHD2 to work. First error message was that the guide star it picked, or I selected, didn't move enough. I guessed the focus was off and so I adjusted it (made it sharper) on the guidescope. That did the trick. But after a short while it gave me an error that it was unable to re-connect to the camera. I guess the camera got disconnected. Maybe a lose connection. I diddle with it for a while to no avail. Of course by then clouds started rolling in at which point I threw in the towel. Game over man...

So here's the lessons for the novice. I'll be more careful next time when selecting a target with Stellarium. Need to learn the GoTo as well. Might purchase a laser finder...

I hope you'all had better luck that me. We have a 90% chance of rain tomorrow. Very unusual for these necks of the woods...

Live long and prosper,

Joe

Plate solve.
It’s PFM.

Kevin
  • epdreher and zakry3323 like this

#92 zakry3323

zakry3323

Apollo

Posted 18 November 2019 - 11:53 PM

I know it's annoying but remember that these scopes are basically hand made to order. They only make a few in advance and yet they still get claimed before the batch is run.

They've also been dealing with logistical issues beyond their control or predictability with power outages.

I've been waiting for my SVX130T for weeks and just got word that there will be more delay, the NiteCrawler hasn't even been delivered to them yet. Yeah, it sucks.

But I'd rather they (and Moonlite) do it right than do it quickly and perhaps be not as good as it could be.

Kevin

Thanks Kevin!

Maybe this is par for the course when it comes to premium otas- I wouldn't know, this one will be my very first. Up until now, it's only been *good value* mass produced optics for me. The thing is, when I call a well-reputed dealer and order a *good value* ota and the rep tells me about parts availability and when my order will ship, they mean what they say. That's my only gripe about this situation. I don't care if it takes an extra couple months to complete and ship, that's not really the issue. Like you, I'd certainly prefer that it's done right rather than done fast. However, being upfront and forthcoming is my expectation of any dealer, especially at this price point, and in this case I've been let down. 

Edited by zakry3323, 18 November 2019 - 11:59 PM.

• SeymoreStars and ksouers like this

#93 SeymoreStars

SeymoreStars

Vanguard

Posted 19 November 2019 - 12:00 AM

Thanks Kevin!

Maybe this is par for the course when it comes to premium otas- I wouldn't know, this is one will be my very first. Up until now, it's only been *good value* mass produced optics for me. The thing is, when I call a well-reputed dealer and order a *good value* ota and the rep tells me about parts availability and when my order will ship, they mean what they say. That's my only gripe about this situation. I don't care if it takes an extra couple months to complete and ship, that's not really the issue. Like you, I'd certainly prefer that it's done right rather than done fast. However, being upfront and forthcoming is my expectation of any dealer, especially at this price point, and in this case I've been let down. 

I've owned two Astro-Physics refractors (still have one). You've never waited until you've waited for an AP scope.

• zakry3323 likes this

#94 zakry3323

zakry3323

Apollo

Posted 19 November 2019 - 12:09 AM

I've owned two Astro-Physics refractors (still have one). You've never waited until you've waited for an AP scope.

I hear there's waiting lists for the waiting lists, and the best way to get one in under several years is to hope some people ahead of you kick the bucket smile.gif

I don't think I'll be in the right place to order one for a good long while. My first step-up was narrowed down between TV, SV, or maybe a Tak. Anyways, enough of my moaning. I'll let ya know when it's here, or if I'm contacted, whichever is first.

Edited by zakry3323, 19 November 2019 - 12:43 AM.

#95 ksouers

ksouers

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 19 November 2019 - 07:48 AM

Thanks Kevin!

Maybe this is par for the course when it comes to premium otas- I wouldn't know, this one will be my very first. Up until now, it's only been *good value* mass produced optics for me. The thing is, when I call a well-reputed dealer and order a *good value* ota and the rep tells me about parts availability and when my order will ship, they mean what they say. That's my only gripe about this situation. I don't care if it takes an extra couple months to complete and ship, that's not really the issue. Like you, I'd certainly prefer that it's done right rather than done fast. However, being upfront and forthcoming is my expectation of any dealer, especially at this price point, and in this case I've been let down. 

I agree, a bit more transparency would be nice. Perhaps a checklist of sorts on their web site showing where your order is along the manufacturing process. And maybe some notes about that progress.

This is my first premium scope, as well. And yes, I'm a bit frustrated by the waiting process. But I'm also old enough to remember, before the internet and Amazon and mail order was just that, snail mail order, simple things took weeks to arrive. If you had a foreign car in the '70s and needed something "special" it quite often had to be ordered, and the wait was interminable.

Ever ordered a car? I mean spec it out with exactly the things you want. It might take 3-4 months for delivery depending on what you ordered, where it's made and by whom. But you will get exactly what you ordered, not something you settled for because it was on the lot. I've done both, the "common" car I got fairly quickly, the premium car (think high-end German) took quite a bit longer.

I'm just saying have a bit of patience. Your OTA is made *just for you*. It's unique. This isn't McDonald's where your order, like thousands of others, is simply sitting in a bin waiting for you to pick it up.

Perhaps stop reading threads like this that keep picking at the wound. Adjust your perspective. Shut down the computer, fire up Netflix and re-watch Breaking Bad from beginning to end.

Your OTA will get there. Then you can come back here and brag about it.

Kevin

• zakry3323 likes this

#96 Gene3

Gene3

Viking 1

• Loc: Del Mar, CA

Posted 19 November 2019 - 11:52 AM

Just for reference:

It took 15 months to get my SVX152T with Moonlite NC

It took 3 months to get my SVX130T with NC

According to Alex I should have my SVX080 (going with stock SV focuser & adding the Optec 3rd Lynx) in about 4 weeks.

The wait has always been worth it

• moon_nut_99, SeymoreStars, zakry3323 and 2 others like this

#97 zakry3323

zakry3323

Apollo

Posted 19 November 2019 - 12:38 PM

I agree, a bit more transparency would be nice. Perhaps a checklist of sorts on their web site showing where your order is along the manufacturing process. And maybe some notes about that progress.

This is my first premium scope, as well. And yes, I'm a bit frustrated by the waiting process. But I'm also old enough to remember, before the internet and Amazon and mail order was just that, snail mail order, simple things took weeks to arrive. If you had a foreign car in the '70s and needed something "special" it quite often had to be ordered, and the wait was interminable.

Ever ordered a car? I mean spec it out with exactly the things you want. It might take 3-4 months for delivery depending on what you ordered, where it's made and by whom. But you will get exactly what you ordered, not something you settled for because it was on the lot. I've done both, the "common" car I got fairly quickly, the premium car (think high-end German) took quite a bit longer.

I'm just saying have a bit of patience. Your OTA is made *just for you*. It's unique. This isn't McDonald's where your order, like thousands of others, is simply sitting in a bin waiting for you to pick it up.

Perhaps stop reading threads like this that keep picking at the wound. Adjust your perspective. Shut down the computer, fire up Netflix and re-watch Breaking Bad from beginning to end.

Your OTA will get there. Then you can come back here and brag about it.

Kevin

Again, I'm not mad about waiting. If this hobby teaches me nothing else, it's definitely patience (over and over again!). It's just that when Alex tells me last Wednesday that it will ship on Friday, and it's now the following Tuesday-scope unshipped, no updates, am I really being unreasonable in believing that I should get a phone call, or an email, or some kind of heads up about it? If that's unreasonable, or if that's just typical, then I will adjust my expectations. 

No, I've never ordered a car. But the last used car that I bought about a decade ago cost just a hair less than what I spent on this OTA :)

• ksouers likes this

#98 Tim C

Tim C

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Marietta, GA

Posted 19 November 2019 - 02:05 PM

That is a nice collection!

Just for reference:
It took 15 months to get my SVX152T with Moonlite NC
It took 3 months to get my SVX130T with NC
According to Alex I should have my SVX080 (going with stock SV focuser & adding the Optec 3rd Lynx) in about 4 weeks.

The wait has always been worth it

• zakry3323 likes this

#99 Gene3

Gene3

Viking 1

• Loc: Del Mar, CA

Posted 19 November 2019 - 04:34 PM

That is a nice collection!

Thanks, hoping to add a SVX200T F/7 in 2021, once Vic commits.

#100 ksouers

ksouers

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 19 November 2019 - 04:53 PM

Again, I'm not mad about waiting. If this hobby teaches me nothing else, it's definitely patience (over and over again!). It's just that when Alex tells me last Wednesday that it will ship on Friday, and it's now the following Tuesday-scope unshipped, no updates, am I really being unreasonable in believing that I should get a phone call, or an email, or some kind of heads up about it? If that's unreasonable, or if that's just typical, then I will adjust my expectations. 

No, I've never ordered a car. But the last used car that I bought about a decade ago cost just a hair less than what I spent on this OTA smile.gif

LOL

I understand, and no I don't think you are being unreasonable to expect some sort of notice that there will be a delay if you've already been given a shipping date.

I expect great customer service for premium products. Mercedes is absolutely the best I've ever dealt with. SV has not lived up to that standard. They have a couple places on their web site for communications, I used both and did not receive any kind of reply for weeks. I eventually did find an email address buried somewhere I did not expect it and that did get a reply. If they are not going to monitor the web site they should remove those links and make the email address more prominent.

Perhaps they are better with customers calling, but I rarely have time for that as I'm on conference calls much of the day dealing with fires or coordinating work for the weekend or evenings. Email is much more convenient.

Kevin

PS: For what it's worth, patience is not a virtue I suffer from. But I have learned to deal with it over the years.

• zakry3323 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, dslr, refractor

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics