•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Stellarvue SVX080T-3SV w/ .74X Reducer-Flattener

astrophotography dslr refractor
  • Please log in to reply
265 replies to this topic

#101 GrafikDihzahyn

GrafikDihzahyn

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Fly-Over State

Posted 20 November 2019 - 01:10 PM

I should have gone through SV directly. Instead I used HPS because I needed some other things as well. Placed my order on Sept. 22 and no word yet despite their 'live messaging' service or emails. Everything goes ignored.

OPT is supposedly getting a shipment of the 80mm w/ 3" focuser next week and I'm thinking of cancelling the order with HPS altogether and going with them. HPS is by far the worst customer service I've experienced so far ( even our cable company has been better, lol ).

#102 Gene3

Gene3

Viking 1

• Loc: Del Mar, CA

Posted 20 November 2019 - 02:20 PM

I should have gone through SV directly. Instead I used HPS because I needed some other things as well. Placed my order on Sept. 22 and no word yet despite their 'live messaging' service or emails. Everything goes ignored.

OPT is supposedly getting a shipment of the 80mm w/ 3" focuser next week and I'm thinking of cancelling the order with HPS altogether and going with them. HPS is by far the worst customer service I've experienced so far ( even our cable company has been better, lol ).

In my past interactions with OPT, I have found Rod to be particularly helpful.

• epdreher likes this

#103 epdreher

epdreher

Viking 1

• Loc: Texas Hill Country

Posted 20 November 2019 - 07:25 PM

In my past interactions with OPT, I have found Rod to be particularly helpful.

I would agree.  I lived about eight miles from their old location, and both Chris Hendren and Rod were first-rate.

#104 VuurEnVlam

VuurEnVlam

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 21 November 2019 - 06:14 AM

Is there a prize for the saddest story here? lol.gifundecided.gif

I ordered from OPT my SVX080T-3SV + Reducer combo in the late December 2018.
I received the OTA, motorized the focuser but I'm still waiting for the reducer to use it at 360mm FL as I'd planned.

I'm in touch with OPT but I'm feeling that the they're handling this in a too relaxing way for a case in which a customer is waiting since an year; after a week since I say them that SV declared the item discontinued they're still wondering what will happen to existing orders..
Fortunatly I contact directly SV late last week and they told me that pending orders will be complete, and this made me less alarmed (also proved me that should be not that difficult for OPT to get information from SV).

Anyway, to be more safer, can someone please PM me the email addresses of the two OPT guys with good reference above? I will let pass some days to see if something moves but If I would have to contact OPT again I will try to put them in CC, maybe it could help..
Edit: Just got news from OPT, seems something is moving at the end flowerred.gif  (still not have a lead time but they're working on it)

Edited by VuurEnVlam, 21 November 2019 - 11:26 AM.

#105 SeymoreStars

SeymoreStars

Vanguard

• Loc: Pennsyltucky

Posted 25 November 2019 - 02:12 PM

Mine shipped today from SV. 80mm SVX with FT focuser and reducer. Should arrive Dec. 4th.

• zakry3323 likes this

#106 SeymoreStars

SeymoreStars

Vanguard

Posted 25 November 2019 - 02:16 PM

Is there a prize for the saddest story here? lol.gifundecided.gif

I ordered from OPT my SVX080T-3SV + Reducer combo in the late December 2018.
I received the OTA, motorized the focuser but I'm still waiting for the reducer to use it at 360mm FL as I'd planned.

I'm in touch with OPT but I'm feeling that the they're handling this in a too relaxing way for a case in which a customer is waiting since an year; after a week since I say them that SV declared the item discontinued they're still wondering what will happen to existing orders..
Fortunatly I contact directly SV late last week and they told me that pending orders will be complete, and this made me less alarmed (also proved me that should be not that difficult for OPT to get information from SV).

Anyway, to be more safer, can someone please PM me the email addresses of the two OPT guys with good reference above? I will let pass some days to see if something moves but If I would have to contact OPT again I will try to put them in CC, maybe it could help..
Edit: Just got news from OPT, seems something is moving at the end flowerred.gif  (still not have a lead time but they're working on it)

I am sad to hear of your tail of woe. I hope it's resolved quickly, to your satisfaction. OPT owes you an apology IMO.

#107 zakry3323

zakry3323

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Pittsburgh

Posted 25 November 2019 - 07:57 PM

Mine shipped today from SV. 80mm SVX with FT focuser and reducer. Should arrive Dec. 4th.

Got my email today as well, stock focuser and no reducer/flattener. We'll have to compare serials :) 

#108 VuurEnVlam

VuurEnVlam

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 26 November 2019 - 04:04 AM

I am sad to hear of your tail of woe. I hope it's resolved quickly, to your satisfaction. OPT owes you an apology IMO.

Thanks for your empathy. Seems I was too optimistic.. Nothing is moving yet..
10 days ago I contacted SV directly and they said that they wanted the name of the dealer and that they would handle the situation during the next week, but the week passed and I still have no news...

I don't know on who's the fault, If it's only on one or another or both.
I can understand that SV gives priority 1 to orders taken direcly with them but 330 days seem too much even for a priority 2 or 3.
Could be I just were unlucky and mine is a particular case in which some ring of the chain went wrong.

Anyway I will update this with the end of this absurd situation, whatever will be.
(Yes, the first 'sorry' word at the end came from OPT, in the last email of half dozen email... But at this point it is sad but I don't care about politeness, just results).

Edited by VuurEnVlam, 26 November 2019 - 01:25 PM.

#109 moon_nut_99

moon_nut_99

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: NM

Posted 27 November 2019 - 11:19 AM

Hello all!

I've re-processed the M31 composite frame shown in post number 28 above. This was done because I discovered two frames that showed a lot of star trailing. Removing these two frames yielded a more pleasing image with better star images. And so I decided to post the resulting image. BTW, I discovered the bad frames using DSS as this program provides a score for each light frame. That was so cool! I know that PI has the same, but I'm not there yet.

Telescope: SVX080T-3SV; SV flattener; f6; FOV=4.3x2.9 (Deg)
Camera: Canon 6D (Stock) @ ISO1600
Mount: Skywatcher EQ6-R-PRO
PA: Polemaster
Guiding: Orion SSAG & PHD2
Guide Scope: SV 9x50
Date: 10/27/2019
Loct'n: Southern NM; Elev. 4500ft; 35 Miles SE of Trinity test site; Bortle class 3.5
Exposure: 10-7 minutes lights; 10-7 minutes darks; no flats; 10 bias.
Postprocessing: DSS and PI; No cropping.

final-postproc-image (4)-b.jpg

• Chris Valentine, eros312, SeymoreStars and 1 other like this

#110 SeymoreStars

SeymoreStars

Vanguard

Posted 27 November 2019 - 11:37 AM

moon_nut_99 I would turn up the red channel using PI colorSaturation.

• moon_nut_99 likes this

#111 bnickeson

bnickeson

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 27 November 2019 - 12:10 PM

For those that have the SVX80T-3SV and reducer-flattener and use a full frame sensor (like the Canon 6D), could you post sample pics that show the vignetting and corner sharpness?  Un-calibrated preferably.  I'd just like to see how bad the vignetting is and if the flattener does a good job when reduced.  I asked Stellarvue about this a year ago but with as crazy busy as they are I don't expect any samples from them.

Hopefully they start selling the reducer-flattener again because that's the speed and focal length I was really hoping to get.

• moon_nut_99 likes this

#112 moon_nut_99

moon_nut_99

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 27 November 2019 - 01:26 PM

Thanks Steve! I'll do so. 

• SeymoreStars likes this

#113 moon_nut_99

moon_nut_99

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 27 November 2019 - 05:09 PM

Something else I wanted to say...

This is the nicest forum ever! Its free and without those annoying ads pestering here and there on the screen. Also, you guys are the best. Next time I need to purchase some additional equipment I'll try my very best to do so from our sponsor.

You all have a nice Turkey day!

Joe

#114 SeymoreStars

SeymoreStars

Vanguard

Posted 27 November 2019 - 05:53 PM

Something else I wanted to say...

This is the nicest forum ever! Its free and without those annoying ads pestering here and there on the screen. Also, you guys are the best. Next time I need to purchase some additional equipment I'll try my very best to do so from our sponsor.

You all have a nice Turkey day!

Joe

The Moderators and Admins deserve a lot of credit and their no nonsense approach to controversial subjects. Thank you CNs!!

• moon_nut_99 likes this

#115 Tim C

Tim C

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Marietta, GA

Posted 27 November 2019 - 06:43 PM

I'd be curious to see this too but my guess is that the reducer/flattener isn't up to a full frame challenge.  I expect corner sharpness wouldn't be great with that big chip.  Individual tolerance for corner sharpness varies greatly though, and it may be acceptable if you don't go pixel peeping.  Happy to be proven wrong.  The regular flattener appears to be pretty darn good though with a full frame base on Joe's exposures.

For those that have the SVX80T-3SV and reducer-flattener and use a full frame sensor (like the Canon 6D), could you post sample pics that show the vignetting and corner sharpness?  Un-calibrated preferably.  I'd just like to see how bad the vignetting is and if the flattener does a good job when reduced.  I asked Stellarvue about this a year ago but with as crazy busy as they are I don't expect any samples from them.

Hopefully they start selling the reducer-flattener again because that's the speed and focal length I was really hoping to get.

• moon_nut_99 likes this

#116 SeymoreStars

SeymoreStars

Vanguard

Posted 27 November 2019 - 07:22 PM

I am supposed to have mine December  4tg and can used the canon 6D.

• zakry3323 likes this

#117 moon_nut_99

moon_nut_99

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 02 December 2019 - 02:20 PM

Steve:

At your convenience, would you post a picture of what your telescope looks like with the upgraded FT focuser? I'm very interested to see it. Would like also to know how well the focuser rotator lock works.

Thanks,

Joe

#118 SeymoreStars

SeymoreStars

Vanguard

Posted 02 December 2019 - 02:37 PM

Steve:

At your convenience, would you post a picture of what your telescope looks like with the upgraded FT focuser? I'm very interested to see it. Would like also to know how well the focuser rotator lock works.

Thanks,

Joe

Sure will do.

#119 zakry3323

zakry3323

Surveyor 1

Posted 02 December 2019 - 04:24 PM

Mine arrived today and it looks great. I'm very happy with the build quality, fit and finish, but it will be at least a few weeks before it gets first light. Hopefully my blood pressure can go back down to normal now!

• moon_nut_99 and ksouers like this

#120 ksouers

ksouers

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: St. Louis (close enough)

Posted 02 December 2019 - 04:49 PM

Mine arrived today and it looks great. I'm very happy with the build quality, fit and finish, but it will be at least a few weeks before it gets first light. Hopefully my blood pressure can go back down to normal now!

Pictures or it didn't happen (yet)!

Kevin

• moon_nut_99 and zakry3323 like this

#121 zakry3323

zakry3323

Surveyor 1

Posted 02 December 2019 - 05:17 PM

Pictures or it didn't happen (yet)!

Kevin

Fair enough!

IMG_20191202_161100.jpg

• moon_nut_99, Esso2112 and ksouers like this

#122 ksouers

ksouers

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: St. Louis (close enough)

Posted 02 December 2019 - 05:52 PM

Such a tease! Leaving it all wrapped up!

Kevin

#123 zakry3323

zakry3323

Surveyor 1

Posted 02 December 2019 - 07:14 PM

Such a tease! Leaving it all wrapped up!

Kevin

I don't have much time to play tonight, but I'll keep you posted :)

#124 zakry3323

zakry3323

Surveyor 1

Posted 02 December 2019 - 08:15 PM

Kiddo went to bed a little early tonight, so here it is, under the light. 

IMG_20191202_200729.jpg

• eros312, moon_nut_99, epdreher and 1 other like this

#125 SeymoreStars

SeymoreStars

Vanguard

Posted 02 December 2019 - 09:00 PM

Oh she's purdy!!

• moon_nut_99 and zakry3323 like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, dslr, refractor

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics