•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

This is not the place...

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ClownFish

ClownFish

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: Kampala, Uganda

Posted 27 November 2018 - 03:42 AM

...to debate film vs digital. 

Anyone who comes in this forum to try their best to convince users to stop imaging with film, needs to find a different forum.   I come in here to read people's stories of using film, not to get proselytized by people trying to put the fear of digital into film followers.  This forum is about the art of using film to capture the cosmos.  Not the cry of confused amateurs who do not know digital exists.   Do these people go into the drawing forum and preach that cameras are more accurate?  If they do - I feel sorry for them.

• Carol L, okiestarman56, SandyHouTex and 4 others like this

#2 Nightfly

Nightfly

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Dark Skies, Maine

Posted 27 November 2018 - 07:15 PM

The fact that I want to have access to and expose analog materials is a personal choice. That a forum exists to share our mutual endeavor, perhaps the last active forum, should allow us to do so with pleasure.

There's just a few of us left.  Why would that bother some?  It's a digital world to be sure, but there's room for the practice of a fine craft.  

For myself, I would encourage those shooting film for astrophotography do so striving for excellence in their work.  Great work can still be done, despite the losses in film stocks.  

I've coached several people, all of which failed miserably.  It's hard.  Digital offers good results with little experience.   I never recommend anyone getting into film now unless they insist.  There's a reason why when there was only film, you could count the number of astrophotographers on your hands and toes.

I've not shot an astrophoto on film in a few years.  I'm exploring visually now, but may get back into it.  The freezer is still full of fresh film!  

• Todd N and telesonic like this

#3 SandyHouTex

SandyHouTex

Skylab

• Loc: Houston, Texas, USA

Posted 30 November 2018 - 09:52 AM

Anyone who comes in this forum to try their best to convince users to stop imaging with film, needs to find a different forum.   I come in here to read people's stories of using film, not to get proselytized by people trying to put the fear of digital into film followers.  This forum is about the art of using film to capture the cosmos.  Not the cry of confused amateurs who do not know digital exists.   Do these people go into the drawing forum and preach that cameras are more accurate?  If they do - I feel sorry for them.

I totally agree.

• telesonic likes this

#4 mark77

mark77

Messenger

• Loc: PA

Posted 30 November 2018 - 09:57 AM

I am a total digital guy.  Pixels all the way. But... you film guys have my RESPECT

Keep up the good work!

#5 Mark326

Mark326

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Florida

Posted 30 November 2018 - 10:25 AM

I am a CMOS Camera, GOTO Mount, Computer guided hobbist.   (Sounds like an introduction to a 12 step program, haha)

You’re right 100%. Visual observers, sketching, film, digital, ect....How anyone chooses to pursue the hobby of amateur Astronomy is a personal choice of what provides the most enjoyment of the hobby.

I enjoy and appreciate reading Visual Observers logs, seeing the amazing artwork of sketchers, and enjoy imagery in all media forms.   Glad these forums provide support for the hobby all of us share.

Clear Skies

#6 Carol L

Carol L

Cosmos

• Loc: Tomahawk, WI 45N//89W

Posted 01 December 2018 - 12:25 AM

Well said, ClownFish, many thanks. flowerred.gif

There's room for EVERYONE in this hobby! wink.gif

• SandyHouTex and telesonic like this

#7 Michael Covington

Michael Covington

Author

• Vendors
  • Loc: Athens, Georgia, USA

Posted 01 December 2018 - 12:37 AM

I completely agree.  However, when people ask questions about the comparative performance of film vs. digital sensors, I try my best to give accurate answers, and not to be drawn into arguments.

I figure film will completely die out some time after oil painting dies out.  The basic technology of black-and-white film still has numerous uses in the printing industry and even in semiconductor manufacturing.  (Masks, labels, etc., need to be reproduced optically.)  So the underlying technology is going to remain extant for a long time.

• telesonic and Night shift like this

#8 Michael Covington

Michael Covington

Author

• Vendors
  • Loc: Athens, Georgia, USA

Posted 01 December 2018 - 11:09 AM

And I think it is genuinely interesting to find out what film can do with advances in optics, mounts, and guiding that have happened since the digital takeover.  I'm thinking of doing an Ektachrome-vs-DSLR test myself some time in the next few months.  I expect the DSLR to "win," but I also expect to learn things about film that I didn't know in the film era.

• telesonic likes this

#9 Alen K

Alen K

Apollo

• -----

Posted 01 December 2018 - 06:43 PM

I'm thinking of doing an Ektachrome-vs-DSLR test myself some time in the next few months.  I expect the DSLR to "win," but I also expect to learn things about film that I didn't know in the film era.

I'm looking forward to seeing that.

Edited by Alen K, 01 December 2018 - 06:43 PM.

• Michael Covington and telesonic like this

#10 Alen K

Alen K

Apollo

• -----

Posted 01 December 2018 - 07:36 PM

ClownFish, respect to you, man. But what specifically motivated your post? Unless I'm mistaken the last time someone came here actually dissing film was June 2017. If that's what motivated you, that's quite a delay to respond! smile.gif

PS. Don't mistake honest discussions of the limitations of film for disrespect, which is mainly what I have seen in the interim.

Edited by Alen K, 01 December 2018 - 07:49 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics