•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Given a telescope and NEED HELP

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#26 telesonic

telesonic

Vostok 1

• Loc: 43˚ N 115˚ W

Posted 30 November 2018 - 11:07 PM

Yep, the pics definitely help us figure out a little more about what you have - and it sounds like you are going about it the right way.

One thing I noticed from your latest pictures: 

The very first one in that series, you see the black "T shaped" adjuster bolt that is in between the tripod legs? 

It screws into the black metal base that the wood legs attach to. 

Before you go about balancing the scope, you will want to loosen that a little bit - 

then turn the upper part of the mount so that the bar with the weight is directly across from the T knob and positioned over that tripod leg.

That is your North tripod leg. Tighten everything up once done.

(the whole top part should rotate - but there may be another knob underneath that you may have to loosen before it moves)

That will keep the scope from flopping over on you, from the weight being imbalanced over the legs.

Not that it will, but that it could happen.

Kind of hard to explain by typing it all out, but I hope that makes sense to you.

(random thought for the folks helping out here  - it looks to me that mount might be able to be set up in alt-az, and I'm wondering if this may be a worthy suggestion to help a starting novice, instead of learning the motions of the equatorial configuration first?)

Temp

Edited by telesonic, 30 November 2018 - 11:12 PM.

#27 Vesper818

Vesper818

Astronomess

• Loc: Treehouse Observatory

Posted 30 November 2018 - 11:38 PM

Jacklyn Welcome to the Classics!
I cant offer much advice, being a dinky refractor gal, but this is the perfect "real" scope for your family. Anything affordable new would be of much lesser quality, loaded with plastic and liable to disappoint.
If there is an amateur astronomer, club, observatory, near you, by all means take your scope and ask for help.
We were all 8 years old once, with parents likely less involved than you. Many could have only dreamed of such a scope, or the opportunities available today.
Might I also suggest having your son join Cloudy Nights, and post his own questions here, and in the beginner thread. The forum is family friendly, very well moderated, and full of the most awesome individuals.
Congrats.
And dont be surprised if your son's interest is catching. It happened to me.
Carol2
  • DreamWeaver, BillShakes, cookjaiii and 3 others like this

#28 aeajr

aeajr

Voyager 1

• Loc: Long Island, New York, USA

Posted 03 December 2018 - 05:49 AM

Need a better photo of the area were the eyepiece goes.  I have attached a photo of my focuser.  There is a dust plug in the focuser on mine.  Note that there are screws on the side to lock in the eyepiece so it doesn't fall out.   You may have one or two.   I don't see those screws in your photos.

Measure the silver tube on the eyepieces.   It is 1" (actually .965) or 1.25"

Some information videos about using an Equatorial Mount.

How to align an Equatorial (EQ) mount
https://www.youtube....h?v=plx6XXDgf2E

How to use an Equatorial (EQ) mount
https://www.youtube....h?v=F7HVDKAZ6eM

Attached Thumbnails

• XT8 single speed standard focuser (480x321).jpg

#29 aeajr

aeajr

Voyager 1

• Loc: Long Island, New York, USA

Posted 03 December 2018 - 06:14 AM

Discussion about a Selsi telescope.  Similar to yours but a little smaller, 4" rather than 4.5"  and it is on an altaz mount, like a camera tripod.    But you may find some useful information.

https://www.cloudyni...c/501062-selsi/

This ebay listing is for parts for a Selsi telescope.  Includes some diagrams that may be helpful in understanding some of what you have.   Appears your #7 is a camera adapter.

https://www.ebay.com...WSTWN:rk:4:pf:0

This may be the instruction manual for your scope

http://www.opticalvi...cuments/150.pdf

• GeneDiG likes this

#30 grendel

grendel

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Canterbury, Kent, UK

Posted 03 December 2018 - 07:53 AM

from the pictures of the motor, dont worry too much about that now, its disengaged from the drive gear (it would need to rotate so the drive gear on the motor engaged with the similar bigger one on the telescope).

#31 ftwskies

ftwskies

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Under Fort Worth skies...

Posted 03 December 2018 - 10:32 AM

Welcome, Jaclyn!

I'm going to be a bit contrarian to what some others have said here, with regard to that 55mm pinkish filter you have.  It's true it's not a made-for-purpose accessory for the scope, but I believe it was part of the original owner's observing kit.  It looks to me from the photo like an FL (fluorescent light) filter made for a 35mm camera.  These are pale magenta filters used in photography to balance out the "greening" effect of fluorescent lights.  And it so happens they can be very helpful in teasing detail out of distant planets like Mars and Jupiter when viewed through a telescope.  I have one myself, and it's easy to use by simple holding the filter up between your eye and the eyepiece. 

At any rate, I wouldn't discard it just yet until you get the hang of using the 'scope. 

Congratulations on a beautiful new (to you) telescope!  I hope you'll find it's use and maintenance an enjoyable pursuit.  Once you get it cleaned up and running, you may want to check / adjust the collimation (alignment) of the mirrors to get an optimal view at higher magnifications.  Definitely come back here for advice when that comes up -- you'll get plenty of helpful instructions from the folks around here.

• aeajr and cookjaiii like this

#32 KenS

KenS

Viking 1

• Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 03 December 2018 - 03:06 PM

Just an electrical  safety caution. Looking at the pictures the motor drive looks to be mains powered. I wouldn’t plug it in without a thorough electrical check first. Might be best to remove it altogether to avoid the possibility.

• GeneDiG and Napp like this

#33 GeneDiG

GeneDiG

Messenger

• -----

Posted 05 December 2018 - 11:33 AM

You've got a classic Towa made 114 F8 Newtonian on an EQ2 style German Equatorial Mount. It was sold under many different names including Tasco, where it was labeled Tasco 11T.  It's actually a useful telescope. Your scope is equipped with a 110V AC clock drive which will allow the telescope rotate about its right ascension axis at close to the same speed as the Earth. Like others have said, I would have the drive checked out before plugging it in.  There are battery driven replacement drives available too. Here is a link to a vintage Tasco manual for your. scope.
https://www.cloudyni...1te5manualpg01/

#34 whizbang

whizbang

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: NE of Seattle, WA

Posted 05 December 2018 - 08:40 PM

I second the notion, do not fry your eyes looking at the sun.

And,

Do not clean the optics or eyepieces.

#35 Unknownastron

Unknownastron

Viking 1

• Loc: CatsEye Observatory,Rural Southern Oklahoma

Posted 07 December 2018 - 02:55 AM

Good fortune on being given a nice telescope.  This is just the right size for a child to start out with and a good sized telescope to keep forever.  The German equatorial mount, the part between the telescope and the wooden tripod, will puzzle you for a while.  Using one like this at first feels awkward and confusing.  Just like riding a bicycle once you figure it out it is easy and makes tracking whatever you are looking at in the sky much easier.  If the motor works safely the mount, once set up correctly, will track the astronomical object in the eyepiece.  

Check on youtube, there are several video tutorials you can watch before you take the scope to the local astronomy club meeting.

Keep us informed.

Clear skies and clean glass,

Mike

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics