•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

COULD THIS BE MY CAVE ?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 30 November 2018 - 07:50 AM

While doing an image search for " Cave Astrola 10" Telescope " on Google . I come to find this image below with this attached Worthpoint link ...... https://www.worthpoi...eluxe-telescope  . The WorthPoint link description seems to match my scope to a T.........  WorthPoint must of pulled the image and description from a  OLD , E Bay ad .   If NOT my exact scope , then one just like it with the same paint scheme , size , FL , Finder scope and other features mentioned in the WorthPoint Description . DIFFERENCES......My Scope , has the Sky Micro 2" focuser , no optional extra holes drilled in ota tube for AP primary mirror placement , No Cave ID tag by focuser .    If anyone knows anything about this posted image and link please chime in .

Attached Thumbnails

• 10-f6-cave-astrola-deluxe-telescope_1_8382cba2610b002a9b0cf92a4ceb497d.jpg

• Geo31 and Defenderslideguitar like this

#2 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 30 November 2018 - 08:18 AM

I presently have a in progress restoration going on with this scope at this time . It seems to me that this is original paint on this scope . The paint is done in " Typical Cave Fashion "  . No Primer , finished Blueish Greenish Hammertone  paint applied to bare aluminum  . No evidence anywhere of a different color other than what is on it now . I tend to believe that this is original paint that Cave applied prior to It's original sale ....  Could this be a   " Rare "    Color scheme put out by Cave at the time ?

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_5725.jpg
  • IMG_5724.jpg

#3 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

You don't know Swift from Astrola

• Administrators

Posted 30 November 2018 - 09:00 AM

Tom, there looks to be an extra counterweight on the mystery scope, also the polar axis is set 180-degrees opposite the pier cap as yours, and there is a second set of primary mirror mounting holes (for photography?), and yours is missing the tube label next to the focuser, so I am going to assume that they are different telescopes, based on the visual evidence.  

• TOM KIEHL likes this

#4 deepwoods1

deepwoods1

Apollo

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 30 November 2018 - 09:12 AM

Worthpoint has come up in many of my searches for a variety of collectibles. If you’re a member they’ll show you what things sold for. If not, you get a vague idea that something that you were looking for was out there. I’m not a member. 

• TOM KIEHL and Defenderslideguitar like this

#5 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

You don't know Swift from Astrola

• Administrators

Posted 30 November 2018 - 09:17 AM

Tom, does your mount have the word ASTROLA in raised relief on the DEC housing?  I own a copy of that same mount and the factory silver was darker than on yours, and it was not hammertone at all, just a dark silver.  Yours looks like a repaint in the pic, the legs and pier are obviously different colors.  That wouldn't happen at the Cave factory. 

• TOM KIEHL likes this

#6 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 30 November 2018 - 09:37 AM

Tom, there looks to be an extra counterweight on the mystery scope, also the polar axis is set 180-degrees opposite the pier cap as yours, and there is a second set of primary mirror mounting holes (for photography?), and yours is missing the tube label next to the focuser, so I am going to assume that they are different telescopes, based on the visual evidence.  

Yes Chuck , I have the third weight . The  polar axis pier cap position was corrected by my seller . AND JUST NOW ! ...I went down to the shop and checked .....There IS a second set of primary mirror cell holes that have been FILLED and painted over on the tube . I have NO declination drive motor or controller , just a manual knob on a flexible wand . A lot of the WorthPoint written description matches  MY scope . As In .... fresh Clausing Beral Coatings . There is also mentioned in the  WorthPoint description that the OTA tube has been " Lightly sanded " and would need " Buffed " or " Painted " . MY Seller told me that HE painted the tube and he did a fantastic job of that too .   

#7 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 30 November 2018 - 09:44 AM

Tom, does your mount have the word ASTROLA in raised relief on the DEC housing?  I own a copy of that same mount and the factory silver was darker than on yours, and it was not hammertone at all, just a dark silver.  Yours looks like a repaint in the pic, the legs and pier are obviously different colors.  That wouldn't happen at the Cave factory. 

Yes it does have the " Raised ASTROLA " on the DEC housing ..... The legs and pier ARE the same color and have more blueish greenish color than my image depicts , ( Just my PooR photography and lighting skills smirk.gif )

#8 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 30 November 2018 - 09:48 AM

Worthpoint has come up in many of my searches for a variety of collectibles. If you’re a member they’ll show you what things sold for. If not, you get a vague idea that something that you were looking for was out there. I’m not a member. 

I'm not a member either .... Think I'll reach out to my seller once again . He's a member of our astro club .

#9 Kasmos

Kasmos

Apollo

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 01 December 2018 - 05:01 PM

I believe Worthpoint is just a site that reposts auctions from ebay. I've seen many prior ebay listed scopes on there including a couple I've bought. There are some other sites that do the same thing. I don't see the 'worth or point' in any of them doing that. grin.gif

Edited by Kasmos, 01 December 2018 - 05:02 PM.

• Mr Magoo and TOM KIEHL like this

#10 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 02 December 2018 - 08:41 AM

Worthpoint ............. If you’re a member they’ll show you what things sold for. If not, you get a vague idea that something that you were looking for was out there. I’m not a member. 

Would a member of WorthPoint be so willing to to check this Link..... https://www.worthpoi...eluxe-telescope ...... and report the selling price and Date of sale and Maybe who sold it ? PLEASE wink.gif

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics