•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Newbie question and glass plates

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 medderx

medderx

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Seattle

Posted 30 November 2018 - 08:45 AM

So I have not used a film camera on a telescope since I was 15yo, and had no idea what I was doing (5 second exposures on the moon is what I was doing lol.gif ). 

Anyways, now that I am 22 and a tinge more experienced I want to give film another go.

Using real glass plates I feel would be very hard and they are much too large for consumer telescopes. So I have had this burning idea for the last few years. 

Could you take the film photos (or CCD images for a back to the future project (not meant as a reference)), have them printed on glass/acrylic plates then stack a handful of of them so you effectively get a brick shape? I assume a normal photo would become too dim so it would need to be done with negatives?

If it would work I think it would be a really cool desk/shelf ornament especially if you put an EL/LED panel behind it.

Just thought of this, maybe you could even use B&W film/CCD and use filters. Then have each photo printed in its respective color of ink and once you stack the plates it would make a full color image if you got it printed at a lower contrast.

Edited by medderx, 30 November 2018 - 08:51 AM.

#2 Todd N

Todd N

Mariner 2

Posted 02 December 2018 - 02:16 PM

To the best of my ability to understand what you are trying to get at, you are so all over the place that I can't take the time to articulate every issue. You would need extensive dark room and printing knowledge to attempt to accomplish something like this if it is even possible. You would have to go through lengthy trial and error to calibrate every  print that would have to be color dyed not to mention the expense of all this. Emulsion on glass plates is usually a do-it-yourself procedure. Some amateurs from time to time market them. You more easily could get a B&W postive to be printed on a glass plate coated with liquid emulsion. If you could find an advance analog photographer to do so.

What's more readily possible is to print a color image on transparent printer paper(Grafix computer printable transparent plastic sheets) for common ink jet printers. Cut and glue the image to a glass plate.

Todd

#3 Michal1

Michal1

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Czech Republic, Central Europe

Posted 02 December 2018 - 03:02 PM

This might work if you want to involve photographic emulsion: Attach a piece of paper on a glass plate, focus a slide projector with the desired image on it, switch off the projector, replace the plate with paper by a plate painted by photographic emulsion (e.g. https://www.foma.cz/...ion-detail-1082 ), expose the projected image on the emulsion for the appropriate time, develop.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics