•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

An old friend comes home

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 The Planetman  Happy Birthday!

The Planetman

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Western KY

Posted 30 November 2018 - 11:18 PM

In 1998, I had the opportunity to buy a really nice 8" Meade 880 reflector; aka the Research Grade series.  I went down to my buddy's house in Texas to pick it up and fell in love it at first sight. 
That little scope was a part of the stable and was used fairly regularly until 2002.  I foolishly sold the OTA to fund another project.  It went to a really good home in Wisconsin. 
Over the years, I would think about the images I had seen with that little scope and think one day I'll pick up another one. 
While a group of us sat under cloudy skies at a star party a few years ago, the subject came up concerning scopes that we wished we had never sold.  When it came my turn to answer, without hesitation, it was the RG-8.  
I've owned several nice scopes over the years and even own a 30" today.  But there has always been something about that little scope.  I just can't explain it.  
On my way back from Chiefland Fall Star Party a few weeks ago, somewhere in the middle of Georgia and out of no where, I had the idea to pop into my head to place an ad for a RG-8 when I got home.
I placed a wanted ad here on CN a few days later.  Lo and behold I got a response a couple of days later.  The person who responded happened to be the person I sold it to back in 2002.  He said it was in the same excellent condition, the optics had been recoated a couple of years ago, and he still had the box I used to ship to him!  
Well, after playing e-mail tag, we reconnected on the phone.  We discussed the little scope, came to an agreeable price, and I had my first and only RG-8 coming back home.  
It arrived this past Monday and yes, it was in just the same beautiful condition as it was in when it left here nearly 17 years ago.  
I've not had an opportunity to reassemble it, but hopefully I can do that over the next few days.  Then it's time to re-enjoy that image of the Pleiades that has been forever etched in my mind with this scope from nearly 20 years ago! 
Ah!  Life is Good!

• Jon Isaacs, Paul Hyndman, Mr Magoo and 37 others like this

#2 Tdesert63

Tdesert63

Explorer 1

Posted 01 December 2018 - 12:03 AM

Awesome

#3 petert913

petert913

Vanguard

• Loc: Portland, OR

Posted 01 December 2018 - 12:44 AM

PHOTOS !!!   grin.gif

#4 Chunder157

Chunder157

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Derbyshire UK

Posted 01 December 2018 - 12:55 AM

What a great story!!! This time around i bet you keep hold of it!! Cheers

Edited by Chunder157, 01 December 2018 - 12:56 AM.

#5 grif 678

grif 678

Apollo

• Loc: NC

Posted 01 December 2018 - 08:33 AM

Yes, that is a great story, wonder what the odds are in that happening. I have had seller's remorse several times, and was able to get another one, but not the same one. That has to be a gratifying feeling to be able to get the exact same one.

#6 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

• Loc: GA

Posted 01 December 2018 - 09:04 AM

A familiar story more than once. My Meade 628 that was my first real scope in 1977. Sold it in 1994 to,get a 10" Meade. Then bought it back 2004 just to sell it again in 2008shocked.gif . Let's not forget my old 12.5" f/6 Cave....frown.gif The right thing to do considering my health.

Edited by rolo, 01 December 2018 - 09:04 AM.

• Bomber Bob and Augustus like this

#7 The Planetman  Happy Birthday!

The Planetman

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Western KY

Posted 01 December 2018 - 11:11 AM

...Let's not forget my old 12.5" f/6 Cave....frown.gif The right thing to do considering my health.

You can rest assured knowing the Cave is nice and safe here.  The kids will have to decide which one wants it after I depart this life......let's hope that's a very long time to come!

• rolo and Defenderslideguitar like this

#8 Mountaineer370

Mountaineer370

Viking 1

• Loc: SE Michigan

Posted 01 December 2018 - 02:06 PM

What a great story, Ross!  I'm looking forward to some pictures. smile.png

#9 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Viking 1

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 01 December 2018 - 07:18 PM

Tremendous story   thanks for sharing it......love to see what it looks like when you have the time.

more than once when buying a sweet scope I have suggested to the seller that if I ever do sell it  I would offer them right of first refusal

#10 nowhere

nowhere

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Vancouver

Posted 01 December 2018 - 09:59 PM

Great story! Bet it's happy to be back too.

Calling an 8 inch f6 Newtonian a "little scope" though certainly reminds me of just how much I'm in the shallow end aperture wise as my "big" scope is only 4 inches:-)

#11 terraclarke

terraclarke

Hubble

• Loc: Third from the Sun

Posted 02 December 2018 - 07:22 PM

So glad she came back to you Ross! waytogo.gif

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics