•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Craigslist, eBay, and other vintage, classic telescope ads

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
414 replies to this topic

#401 starman876

starman876

Hubble

• Loc: VA

Posted 31 December 2018 - 12:40 PM

Towa Carl Wetzler 114mm? Wonder when this was made?

https://www.ebay.com...cHELk:rk:1:pf:0

have no clue where they got the Carl wetzal sticker.

#402 paulabuls

paulabuls

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 31 December 2018 - 03:50 PM

Someone grab this old reflector.

https://austin.craig...6782935680.html

Hi Everyone.

Well, I'm the person who grabbed it. It appears to have belonged to a gentleman here in Austin who was very prominent in the local astronomy scene. He was for some time the editor of the newsletter for the Austin Astronomical Society and took it to many star parties and did a lot of outreach with it. He died suddenly of a heart attack in 2005. His daughter rescued it after his death and has held onto it thinking that someday she would get it going. Finally she realized it was time to pass it on. I hope to get it up and running in spite of there being some obvious missing parts to the mount.

So, first off. I have always wanted to have a telescope but it was only recently that I decided it was time for me to get off my derriere or it'd never happen. I've done a fair amount of research but still have much to learn.

Someone identified this as a star-liner. That helps as there is nothing that I have found yet on it that identifies it. (I haven't done anything with it yet, I picked it up, unloaded it at my house and then had to get back to work). 

If anyone can give me additional information about this model, I'd really appreciate it. I don't know if it will be possible to restore the mount and I may end up putting it on a dobsonian mount while I'm figuring out the viability of restoring this one. I also plan on joining the Austin Astronomical Society as I imagine there will be people there familiar with this particular telescope.

I really loved meeting his daughter and hearing her stories about her dad. I hope to be able to be able to honor the legacy of the man who owned this.

Cheers,

Paula 

#403 Russell Smith

Russell Smith

Messenger

• Loc: 76707

Posted 31 December 2018 - 04:00 PM

That's great! I do wish you the best with it.

#404 wfj

wfj

Surveyor 1

• Loc: California, Santa Cruz County

Posted 31 December 2018 - 04:42 PM

Good luck Paula, and many here might be able to help you do so. Welcome to the forum!

#405 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 31 December 2018 - 05:29 PM

Hi Everyone.

Well, I'm the person who grabbed it. It appears to have belonged to a gentleman here in Austin who was very prominent in the local astronomy scene. He was for some time the editor of the newsletter for the Austin Astronomical Society and took it to many star parties and did a lot of outreach with it. He died suddenly of a heart attack in 2005. His daughter rescued it after his death and has held onto it thinking that someday she would get it going. Finally she realized it was time to pass it on. I hope to get it up and running in spite of there being some obvious missing parts to the mount.

So, first off. I have always wanted to have a telescope but it was only recently that I decided it was time for me to get off my derriere or it'd never happen. I've done a fair amount of research but still have much to learn.

Someone identified this as a star-liner. That helps as there is nothing that I have found yet on it that identifies it. (I haven't done anything with it yet, I picked it up, unloaded it at my house and then had to get back to work). 

If anyone can give me additional information about this model, I'd really appreciate it. I don't know if it will be possible to restore the mount and I may end up putting it on a dobsonian mount while I'm figuring out the viability of restoring this one. I also plan on joining the Austin Astronomical Society as I imagine there will be people there familiar with this particular telescope.

I really loved meeting his daughter and hearing her stories about her dad. I hope to be able to be able to honor the legacy of the man who owned this.

Cheers,

Paula 

Way to go ! waytogo.gif The  mount head  and tube cradle are defiantly Star-Liner the OTA on the other hand may need more pictures to positively identify ....wink.gif  

#406 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Voyager 1

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 31 December 2018 - 05:47 PM

Classics B-I-Ns...

Intes M603 OTA -->  https://www.ebay.com...n=3000&LH_BIN=1

Meade 2080 LX10 OTA -->  https://www.ebay.com...5.c100009.m1982

Black C90 Spotter w/ Case -->  https://www.ebay.com...n=3000&LH_BIN=1

#407 Geo31

Geo31

Voyager 1

• Loc: Willis, TX

Posted 31 December 2018 - 06:03 PM

The guidescope alone is worth the price they’re asking.

That is an opening bid, not an asking price.  The two seem to get confused a lot here.  I'd be shocked if it sold anywhere nearly the opening bid.

#408 Geo31

Geo31

Voyager 1

• Loc: Willis, TX

Posted 31 December 2018 - 06:17 PM

Hi Everyone.

Cheers,

Paula 

Welcome to CN Paula.  You've come to the right place.  We can get you going with this telescope.  Some things may take a little effort, but it should be worth it to restore it.

We'll probably have to ask some questions and may need a few pics, but hopefully it won't be that difficult.

If all you got was what is in the pictures, it slightly complicates things, but hopefully not too badly.

It appears the scope has an aftermarket drive set-up.  Hopefully it came with the motor and worm gear.  If so, that is a plus.  I don't see the declination shaft (let us know if this is an unfamiliar term) and the counterweight.  Shaft replacement should not be a big deal.  The counterweight, maybe, maybe not.  Mostly just a little money.

The mount is designed to be installed on a upright tube.  If you don't have that, don't worry, they can be ordered on-line pretty easily.  It would really help if the legs are there.  If not, I'm certain we can still get you functional.

When you have some time, please provide pictures of everything you got with this scope.  It will help use to asses the situation and advise regarding options.  Of, and please provide measurements as well.  We can make good assumptions regarding what optics are likely there, but it helps to have this confirmed.

Good luck and do NOT be overwhelmed by this.  It's really not bad at all.  We'll get you though.

I personally hope you restore the equatorial mount.  I am not a fan of Dobsonians, but that is really not clouding my thoughts here.  You have a mount that should be reasonably easy to restore.

#409 Esso2112

Esso2112

Viking 1

• Loc: Magnolia, TX

Posted 31 December 2018 - 07:05 PM

That is an opening bid, not an asking price.  The two seem to get confused a lot here.  I'd be shocked if it sold anywhere nearly the opening bid.

Very true. With local pickup only, though, that can impact the price.  I’m thinking it will go for about $600. 

#410 paulabuls

paulabuls

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 31 December 2018 - 07:17 PM

Welcome to CN Paula.  You've come to the right place.  We can get you going with this telescope.  Some things may take a little effort, but it should be worth it to restore it.

We'll probably have to ask some questions and may need a few pics, but hopefully it won't be that difficult.

If all you got was what is in the pictures, it slightly complicates things, but hopefully not too badly.

It appears the scope has an aftermarket drive set-up.  Hopefully it came with the motor and worm gear.  If so, that is a plus.  I don't see the declination shaft (let us know if this is an unfamiliar term) and the counterweight.  Shaft replacement should not be a big deal.  The counterweight, maybe, maybe not.  Mostly just a little money.

The mount is designed to be installed on a upright tube.  If you don't have that, don't worry, they can be ordered on-line pretty easily.  It would really help if the legs are there.  If not, I'm certain we can still get you functional.

When you have some time, please provide pictures of everything you got with this scope.  It will help use to asses the situation and advise regarding options.  Of, and please provide measurements as well.  We can make good assumptions regarding what optics are likely there, but it helps to have this confirmed.

Good luck and do NOT be overwhelmed by this.  It's really not bad at all.  We'll get you though.

I personally hope you restore the equatorial mount.  I am not a fan of Dobsonians, but that is really not clouding my thoughts here.  You have a mount that should be reasonably easy to restore.

I will work on getting all the pictures and measurements posted. Thanks for the encouraging words and the more I look at it the less daunted I feel about restoring the equatorial mount. The telescope is a 10" model. Pretty much what was shown in the picture is what was included. The motor on the drive is a hurst with a mfg date of 12/89. I would guess this is much newer than the mount. The motor does power up when plugged in. it is missing the drive gear though.  I had assumed from the pictures I looked at of other Starliners that the drive set-up was not original. Yes, the stand tube is missing as is the shaft and counterweights. I'm also assuming that there were some bearings associated with the shaft. Those are missing as well. None of that seems insurmountable especially with the friendly guidance I am sure to receive here and in the Austin Astronomical Society.

I assume I need to move this thread to another section of the forum. Right???

Thanks in advance,

Paula

#411 ccwemyss

ccwemyss

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 31 December 2018 - 07:28 PM

A shame it is in rough shape.   Will need complete restoration.   Would like to see some pics of the optics.   It looks like the scope has been in a very humid environment

Ad says the optics were serviced by High Point Scientific. Strange that they didn't show a picture of the cleaned objective. Note that it is pick-up only in New Jersey, so that may somewhat limit the interest.

Chip W. 

#412 Ken Sturrock

Ken Sturrock

Cardinal Ximénez - NO ONE EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION!

• Administrators
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 31 December 2018 - 07:29 PM

I assume I need to move this thread to another section of the forum. Right???

Just start you a new thread in the main Classics Forum.

Screen Shot 2018-12-31 at 17.27.07.png

If you need help, drop me a note.

#413 apfever

apfever

Aurora

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 31 December 2018 - 07:30 PM

Hi Paula,

go to the home page for the Classic telescopes, instead of this string. In the upper right area is a button to "start a new topic".  Click that and title as you wish, I suggest you mention 10" and 'Starliner' in the subject heading.

You can get solid shafts easily, some like to go directly to a stainless steel shaft. Many old shaft were nickel plated. I'd use regular steel stock because I have various pieces of it already in the barn. This is high dry Colorado (and going below zero here now) so a straight steel stock DEC shaft will go a very long time with minimal anti rust wipe. Take note that your DEC shaft may NOT be the typical 1.5" diameter that a lot are already thinking.  Starliner use an odd oversized shaft and yours may be 1-5/8"  (1.625") diameter shaft. Easy enough to get parts still.  Start a thread an  they will come.

Edited by apfever, 31 December 2018 - 07:31 PM.

#414 Tom Duncan

Tom Duncan

Apollo

• Vendors
  • Loc: Chico, CA

Posted 31 December 2018 - 08:47 PM

have no clue where they got the Carl wetzal sticker.

Probably an attempt by the importer to legitimize the scope by combining two famous German optical house names, "Carl Zeiss" and "Leitz, Wetzler".

Tom

Edited by Tom Duncan, 31 December 2018 - 08:49 PM.

#415 Ken Sturrock

Ken Sturrock

Cardinal Ximénez - NO ONE EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION!

• Administrators
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 31 December 2018 - 11:35 PM

Happy New Year.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics