•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Cosmic Challenge: Globular clusters in M31

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 PhilH

PhilH

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Long Island, NY

Posted 01 December 2018 - 06:31 AM

The Andromeda Galaxy, M31, was probably one of the first galaxies you ever saw first-hand. It was mine. That was all way back in 1969. Since then, I have grown to appreciate it as far more than just the ill-defined oval blur I drew in my logbook. But in 1969, the thought of looking for individual objects within M31 never crossed my mind.

Click here to view the article
  • Steve Cox likes this

#2 Lord Baltimore

Lord Baltimore

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Sweden

Posted 01 December 2018 - 09:42 AM

Very nicely written. I was lucky to find a second hand copy of your book as amazon didn't have any new ones. A cracking exercise, that will be undertaken, getting all the objects done for my scope range. Maybe even try some others.

• PhilH likes this

#3 PhilH

PhilH

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 02 December 2018 - 05:30 AM

Thanks, both for the compliment about the article and for hunting down the book.  The first printing sold out, and unfortunately Cambridge didn't do a second.  Last year, they told me that they were planning on a second run in paperback with a few updated tables and finder charts.  I produced those about 18 months ago, but still nothing from them.  Not sure what their plans are at this point, but meanwhile I've posted the updated material on my web site so that readers such as yourself can at least take advantage of it.  Follow this link.

Very nicely written. I was lucky to find a second hand copy of your book as amazon didn't have any new ones. A cracking exercise, that will be undertaken, getting all the objects done for my scope range. Maybe even try some others.

• Knasal likes this

#4 John O'Hara

John O'Hara

Viking 1

• Loc: Oil City, PA

Posted 02 December 2018 - 10:09 AM

My copy's coming apart from use!  

• PhilH likes this

#5 B 26354

B 26354

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southern California semi-desert (NELM mag 5.3)

Posted 02 December 2018 - 11:17 AM

...meanwhile I've posted the updated material on my web site so that readers such as yourself can at least take advantage of it.  Follow this link.

Thanks so much for the updated material, Phil! I printed all but one of them and added them to my copy of your book.

FYI... the link to the "Table 2.4 Dates of Vesta Oppositions 2018-2025" PDF isn't working.

• PhilH likes this

#6 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth

Posted 02 December 2018 - 06:45 PM

I've observed a number of M31's globular clusters.  G1 is a relatively easy target.

Dave Mitsky

• PhilH likes this

#7 PhilH

PhilH

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 03 December 2018 - 04:42 AM

FYI... the link to the "Table 2.4 Dates of Vesta Oppositions 2018-2025" PDF isn't working.

Thanks for the catch!  Fixed now.

• B 26354 likes this

#8 Lord Baltimore

Lord Baltimore

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Sweden

Posted 07 December 2018 - 11:33 AM

Much obliged for the update. Will keep an a eye out on your site.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics