•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Polarex 128 60mm

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Compressorguy

Compressorguy

Vanguard

• topic starter
  • Loc: Clayton, NC

Posted 03 December 2018 - 09:33 PM

Had a Polarex pop up on nearby craigslist. Don’t see these very much over here. Debated and debated but the price was right and once he sent a pic of the objective it was a no brainer. It was pristine. He was the original owner and purchased it between 1968-69 while in Europe and had it shipped back over when he returned. He also said it had only been under the stars probably twice. What a shame!!! Only thing wrong was a screw missing from the finder bracket but I found it in the case. Also the dec lock rod was broken at the threads but I ended up fixing that so she’s good as new and not a mark on it. I’ll let the pics say the rest...........

warning pic rich

IyuBji7.jpg

z8MfA2W.jpg

dJJUG5n.jpg

ikoCiyT.jpg

iaZPOOm.jpgpfG0z9q.jpg

• stringscope, albert1, astro140 and 9 others like this

#2 Esso2112

Esso2112

Viking 1

• Loc: Magnolia, TX

Posted 03 December 2018 - 09:36 PM

That is a beautiful scope. Welcome to the Unitron/Polarex family. 

#3 Compressorguy

Compressorguy

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 03 December 2018 - 09:38 PM

Broken dec lock rod, oh what to do?

xV1d6Hu.jpgM6GOG90.jpg4PyokKP.jpgpVyukJk.jpgosxCAEH.jpgLxyYp03.jpgisSQ5w7.jpguTOsEqf.jpg

• stringscope, albert1, rolo and 13 others like this

#4 Compressorguy

Compressorguy

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 03 December 2018 - 09:49 PM

Works and looks as good as new and retains the stock length

5I3LaiL.jpg

iCIFzw0.jpgAlny0ni.jpgO1yJZSp.jpg

Adjustment screws were bottoming out and the legs were still slipping so I installed some leather belt shims to add friction. Worked great.

oVbcHmg.jpgSkFEXuT.jpg

Scope must have been at higher latitude. At least @ 45 deg. Can’t adjust it out anymore for my 35 deg location. Seems I read they made several different lengths for different locations. Need to make a trade with my northern friends.

05QK3Cf.jpg

• stringscope, rolo, astro140 and 5 others like this

#5 petert913

petert913

Vanguard

• Loc: Portland, OR

Posted 03 December 2018 - 10:04 PM

Wow, that thing is clean!  You will love it.   I have a late-'60's Tasco 7TE-5 60mm and the contrast and views through that little lens are amazing. 

• Bomber Bob likes this

#6 ScottAstroNut

ScottAstroNut

Messenger

• Loc: Winterport, Maine

Posted 03 December 2018 - 10:08 PM

Congratulations on the extraordinary find! Great looking scope that I am sure that you are going to have a great time with. 

Awesome job on the repair of the dec. locking rod. Extremely fine workmanship. 

Enjoy!

#7 shredder1656

shredder1656

Apollo

• Loc: Indiana

Posted 04 December 2018 - 05:46 AM

Awesome!!! Congrats! Great work on the repair!

#8 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

• Loc: GA

Posted 04 December 2018 - 07:36 AM

One never gets tired of Unitron pics! Nice dec rod repair too.

#9 terraclarke

terraclarke

Hubble

• Loc: Third from the Sun

Posted 04 December 2018 - 12:04 PM

Congratulations Scott! Nice pick-up! Fun awaits! :)

#10 bbastoky

bbastoky

Sputnik

• Loc: San Jose, CA

Posted 04 December 2018 - 12:56 PM

Smart, creative repair of declination lock rod!

#11 Compressorguy

Compressorguy

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 29 December 2018 - 04:47 PM

Received a period correct Unitron unihex the other day. Prism was tilted inside after checking with a collimating laser. Had to add @ .025” tape shims to get it optically centered. Cleaned and greased and all is good now!! A unihex just makes these scopes. 

mom8cPP.jpg

• astro140, Dave Trott, terraclarke and 7 others like this

#12 starman876

starman876

Hubble

• Loc: VA

Posted 30 December 2018 - 10:32 AM

Nice Scope. Different seeing the adjustable tripod.   Do not know if I have seen that before. 

#13 Jim Curry

Jim Curry

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: STL

Posted 30 December 2018 - 09:24 PM

Those 60mm Uni/Pola's are great scopes.  THat one looks like it fell out of a time machine.  Very, very nice.

Not only does a Unihex turret go well with your scope but turrets go well with all refractors.  I don't understand why they're not in high demand given the convenience they provide.

On nights of good seeing you'll be able to watch moon transits across Jupiter with your scope.  Lotta fun, enjoy.

Jim

#14 AllanDystrup

AllanDystrup

Apollo

• Loc: Denmark

Posted 31 December 2018 - 04:32 AM

Nice Scope. Different seeing the adjustable tripod. Do not know if I have seen that before.

Yes, I have one of those late sliding NS tripods for my 128c too — a pity it took so many years for NS to offer this functionality. Musthave been the competition from Vixen. Like I’ve written elsewhere: “too little, too late...”

— Allan

PS:   And that btw is the only two NS sliding tripods I’ve come across, which makes me think that they must be MUCH more rare than the infamous NS tray lights, and thus should be prized accordingly... tongue2.gif

Edited by AllanDystrup, 31 December 2018 - 01:19 PM.

• Piggyback and Esso2112 like this

#15 Compressorguy

Compressorguy

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 31 December 2018 - 03:32 PM

Nice Scope. Different seeing the adjustable tripod.   Do not know if I have seen that before. 

Yeh, I figured it had the standard folding legs but was pleasantly surprised when I saw it had the adjustable sliding legs. Much easier to level and use IMO! I’ve never seen another like this. Maybe a late model Polarex thing?

Those 60mm Uni/Pola's are great scopes.  THat one looks like it fell out of a time machine.  Very, very nice.

Not only does a Unihex turret go well with your scope but turrets go well with all refractors.  I don't understand why they're not in high demand given the convenience they provide.

On nights of good seeing you'll be able to watch moon transits across Jupiter with your scope.  Lotta fun, enjoy.

Jim

Thanks for the compliment, the previous owner said it may have been used only a couple of times, since new in 1968 or 69. Pretty much lived its life boxed. I also love turrets and really enjoy the multi-ocular holder on my 74 Orange tube C8. Much more convenient for my visual use.

TC74sgb.jpg

Yes, I have one of those late sliding NS tripods for my 128c too — a pity it took so many years for NS to offer this functionality. Musthave been the competition from Vixen. Like I’ve written elsewhere: “too little, too late...”

— Allan

PS:   And that btw is the only two NS sliding tripods I’ve come across, which makes me think that they must be MUCH more rare than the infamous NS tray lights, and thus should be prized accordingly... tongue2.gif

Good to here there’s another out there. Looks like we have ultra mega super duper unobtainium rare scopes! Haha, lol. Do you know about what year yours is from? 

• Bomber Bob likes this

#16 starman876

starman876

Hubble

Posted 31 December 2018 - 03:47 PM

— Allan

OMG that makes the adjustable sliding tripod worth over $600.   I want onesmirk.gif

• TOM KIEHL likes this

#17 AllanDystrup

AllanDystrup

Apollo

Posted 01 January 2019 - 02:13 AM

He he (in a whispering vioce:) it s-l-i-d-e-s Johann grin.gif .

Happy New Year all,

May you set out on new fantastic journeys into the vast Universe

with your marvelous magical classic contraptions,

and may you return refreshed and erupting with stories

of Martian deserts, Jovian ammonia storms and fantastic galactic fireworks

— Allan

• Piggyback likes this

#18 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Voyager 1

• Loc: Bornholm, Denmark

Posted 01 January 2019 - 05:19 AM

It absolutely baffles me, that someone would buy a super nice scope like this, and then only use it a handful times over four or five decades. I'm glad it found a home where it will be appreciated and used.

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

#19 Peter_D

Peter_D

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Cologne, Germany

Posted 01 January 2019 - 07:34 AM

That's a beautiful looking instrument!

Question: were Unitron/Polarex telescopes the only ones that had the red tamper proof paint seal on the objective screws?

#20 starman876

starman876

Hubble

Posted 01 January 2019 - 10:23 AM

That's a beautiful looking instrument!

Question: were Unitron/Polarex telescopes the only ones that had the red tamper proof paint seal on the objective screws?

Not so sure it was tamper proof.  I found lots of Unitrons in where the paint seal was broken.  I really think it was done to prevent the screws from coming loose during shipping.   I have shipped a lot of Unitrons and in a few cases the UPS truck had vibrated the screws loose that did not have the paint.  

#21 DAVIDG

DAVIDG

Cosmos

• Loc: Hockessin, De

Posted 01 January 2019 - 11:21 AM

Not so sure it was tamper proof.  I found lots of Unitrons in where the paint seal was broken.  I really think it was done to prevent the screws from coming loose during shipping.   I have shipped a lot of Unitrons and in a few cases the UPS truck had vibrated the screws loose that did not have the paint.  

You should place the objective under monochrome light to check that the spacing between the elements is uniform. Almost all the time it is not. So you adjust the pressure, very lightly to center the interference pattern to get a nice bulls eye.

Also check when your under the stars for spherical aberration using a green filter in the eyepiece and astigmatism.You don't need the filter for the astigmatism test. I have four, 60mm 114 objectives and 3 have a good amount of astigmatism while one is very good. There is also thread up in the ATM forum about 4" Unitron objective that is poorly figured. It is unfortunate that the mechanics of these scope are consistently excellent but the optics are a hit and miss. https://www.cloudyni...a-4-fraunhofer/

There are many examples of excellent mechanical restoration presented in this forum but the same attention needs to done to the optics as well. You want a scope that is just as pretty to  look through as to  look at. 

Happy 2019 !

- Dave 

unitron lens out of alignment.jpg   

unitron lens aligned.jpg     

Edited by DAVIDG, 01 January 2019 - 03:57 PM.

• AllanDystrup likes this

#22 Peter_D

Peter_D

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Cologne, Germany

Posted 01 January 2019 - 12:00 PM

Sorry. Tamper proof was not what I meant - 'tamper indicating' seals is more accurate.  I had read that if the paint was damaged, it showed that the objective had been moved and this invalidated your warranty from Unitron.

#23 starman876

starman876

Hubble

Posted 01 January 2019 - 01:49 PM

Sorry. Tamper proof was not what I meant - 'tamper indicating' seals is more accurate.  I had read that if the paint was damaged, it showed that the objective had been moved and this invalidated your warranty from Unitron.

I do not believe the paint being broken voided any warranty. The remaining folks at Unitron do not know why the paint was on the screws. 

• Peter_D likes this

#24 AllanDystrup

AllanDystrup

Apollo

Posted 02 January 2019 - 03:42 AM

You should place the objective under monochrome light to check that the spacing between the elements is uniform. Almost all the time it is not. So you adjust the pressure, very lightly to center the interference pattern to get a nice bulls eye.

DAVID,

Interesting! -- Which source/product of monochrome light do you use/recommend for this purpose?

Thanks, -- Allan

#25 DAVIDG

DAVIDG

Cosmos

• Loc: Hockessin, De

Posted 02 January 2019 - 11:55 AM

DAVID,

Interesting! -- Which source/product of monochrome light do you use/recommend for this purpose?

Thanks, -- Allan

Allan,

I'm using a monochrome mercury source at 546nm that Edmund Scientific sold.  They are expensive but I got mine used on Ebay You don't need one of these fancy ones, a typical $2 CFL bulb will work since it uses a mixture of gases to make the light, hence it has a number of monochrome wavelengths. Here is  the typical interference pattern I see when using my desk lamp which using a CFL bulb.

- Dave 

lens interference pattern CFL bulb.jpg

Edited by DAVIDG, 02 January 2019 - 01:49 PM.

• Bomber Bob and TSSClay like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics