•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

I Almost Bought a TSA-120 Tonight

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#51 Kunama

Kunama

Soyuz

• Loc: Canberra, Australia

Posted 08 December 2018 - 12:13 AM

Matt, PM sent.

Well, I paid to join AM 2+ years ago... and never got an account.  Maybe I dodged a bullet?

You've got Mail waytogo.gif

• Defenderslideguitar likes this

#52 Mel M

Mel M

Mariner 2

• Loc: southern Oregon

Posted 08 December 2018 - 12:48 AM

Folks steal credit cards too.

I was guessing Astromart checked if the credit card was valid before accepting somebody.  I remember some people were upset a credit card was required. 

Somebody mentioned the forums are not as busy. This type of forum is easy to use and how many people will not post because their name is required?

#53 Kunama

Kunama

Soyuz

• Loc: Canberra, Australia

Posted 08 December 2018 - 12:57 AM

I will now only buy scopes if I can collect it in person....... 

The only three times I have been stung have been when buying something from USA, twice from businesses that suddenly closed, once from a private person whose idea of immaculate matched my idea of garbage....

I sent Astromart a politely worded email notice to warn of this scam and the only response was an unaddressed " do you see the ad?" from some Herb ? Not thanks for pointing it out, not signed.

Edited by Kunama, 08 December 2018 - 01:01 AM.

#54 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • Loc: NC

Posted 08 December 2018 - 01:15 AM

I sent Astromart a politely worded email notice to warn of this scam and the only response was an unaddressed " do you see the ad?" from some Herb ? Not thanks for pointing it out, not signed.

I think that that was Herb's way of saying "I've banned him and deleted the ad."  I don't think he was intentionally trying to be rude to you, but that unfortunately is Herb's way of communicating.  He's a man of few words, and his manner of speech does take some getting used to.  It's possible that he's overworked, as Astromart is essentially a one-man show, and Herb doesn't have a handful of administrators plus a few dozen moderators to help him out with running the site, like we do here on CN.

• Daniel Mounsey likes this

#55 bobito

bobito

Apollo

• Loc: Litchfield County, CT

Posted 08 December 2018 - 01:18 AM

I think we get too comfortable about electronic transactions / communications these days.  Request a phone call if there is any doubt, you can sniff out a rat easily if you talk to the person, and a rat likely would not accept the request.

About a year ago there was a seller on Amart that was new and had only one rating but had ads for a bunch of very desirable equipment and would only take a certified check for payment.  I was sceptical, but interested in something for sale, so I asked him for a call.  After we spoke, I had no doubt he was legit. I sent him a certified check, and I reciveved the items as described.  

There is no need to shun a new user.  Just go the extra step to talk with the person to verify they are legit.  We were all new users at one point.  In the case I mentioned above, the guy just wasn't into the hobby, but just happened to buy a bunch of great equipment thinking he would be into it.  I ended up with some desirable equipment at a great price.  All it took was a message saying "I'll take it, but I'd like to discuss on a call first."

• Paul G, Scott in NC, doctordub and 4 others like this

#56 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 08 December 2018 - 08:53 AM

I will now only buy scopes if I can collect it in person....... 

The only three times I have been stung have been when buying something from USA, twice from businesses that suddenly closed, once from a private person whose idea of immaculate matched my idea of garbage....

I have bought 1000's of scopes and parts since the 70's and never really got stung. One time i got some older 20x70 bincos that were kinda fogged up that the seller never told me about. I have sold 1000's of things and only had to refund 3 buyers over the years. I offer a 100% refund if a buyer is not happy.  Just that shipping cost have taken the fun out of it and i cut way back.

• Defenderslideguitar likes this

#57 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

Posted 08 December 2018 - 08:55 AM

I think that that was Herb's way of saying "I've banned him and deleted the ad."  I don't think he was intentionally trying to be rude to you, but that unfortunately is Herb's way of communicating.  He's a man of few words, and his manner of speech does take some getting used to.  It's possible that he's overworked, as Astromart is essentially a one-man show, and Herb doesn't have a handful of administrators plus a few dozen moderators to help him out with running the site, like we do here on CN.

I always liked Herb and never had a problem with him.

• doctordub and gjanke like this

#58 gjanke

gjanke

Explorer 1

Posted 08 December 2018 - 09:43 AM

I have bought 1000's of scopes and parts since the 70's and never really got stung. One time i got some older 20x70 bincos that were kinda fogged up that the seller never told me about. I have sold 1000's of things and only had to refund 3 buyers over the years. I offer a 100% refund if a buyer is not happy.  Just that shipping cost have taken the fun out of it and i cut way back.

Jim,

Have you ever considering writing on book? Your 50 years of knowledge could be useful to a lot of folks and just think how many people you could save time and money. At the very least maybe start a thread with all of the tips you have on buying and selling. Well not in refractors, of course,  but somewhere on CN where it can be shared with all.

#59 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

Posted 08 December 2018 - 09:45 AM

Maybe off topic or whatever mods think is best?

#60 earlyriser

earlyriser

Apollo

• Loc: Cincinnati

Posted 08 December 2018 - 10:18 AM

Even Ebay has them. I just try to make sure I pay with a credit card through Paypal so I have two lines of protection.

BTW, scamming goes in the other direction too. I have seen buyers scam sellers by abusing the dispute resolution process and there's absolutely nothing one can do about it either. It makes me afraid to accept Paypal for more expensive items. I would much rather drive a couple hundred miles so the buyer can physically examine everything first and I get paid in cash. I feel so badly for the seller who accepted a return for a refund on a 130mm AP only to get an 80mm achromat back. PP sided on the buyer's side because he had a tracking number showing it was delivered back to the seller. He filed police reports in both states, contacted the FBI, etc. and Paypal refused to listen to him. How in the heck do you protect yourself against that?

If I knew the person's correct name and address, I'd also file a lawsuit in my home jurisdiction and get a default judgement when they don't show. Probably wouldn't be able to collect on it, but at least it would be on their credit report. Might be able to garnish their pay if they have a job. Of course, if you hire an attorney to help you with this, the legal bills might exceed the cost of the telescope. 

Edited by earlyriser, 08 December 2018 - 07:31 PM.

#61 earlyriser

earlyriser

Apollo

Posted 08 December 2018 - 04:31 PM

I bunch of Televue eyepieces just got listed. The guy looks legit, but the prices seem a little too good to be true. Any thoughts?

There's a Nagler 31 T5 for $400 and a Nagler 20 T5 also for $400. Seems odd they would both be the same price. Then there's a 7mm T6 for $350, which seems priced really high, especially compared to the other two. 

Said I was interested in the 31mm T5, but now I'm a little nervous. 

Edited by earlyriser, 08 December 2018 - 04:39 PM.

#62 bobito

bobito

Apollo

• Loc: Litchfield County, CT

Posted 08 December 2018 - 04:43 PM

I noticed those ads and had the same thoughts.  Everything looks legit but the pricing is strange.

#63 earlyriser

earlyriser

Apollo

Posted 08 December 2018 - 04:54 PM

I noticed those ads and had the same thoughts.  Everything looks legit but the pricing is strange.

My concern is that the guy is legit but his account was hacked. Maybe I'm just being paranoid. 

edited to add

He's only about an hour and a half away, maybe I should offer to pick it up and hand him cash.

Edited by earlyriser, 08 December 2018 - 05:24 PM.

• doctordub likes this

#64 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

Posted 08 December 2018 - 05:59 PM

$400 is good on the Ethos, but $350 for the T6 is nuts when the avg is 190 to 230.  $250 for the Powermates seem the norm.

#65 Steve Allison

Steve Allison

Messenger

• Loc: Olympia, Wash. 98502

Posted 08 December 2018 - 06:28 PM

You don't garnishee someone's pay, you garnish it.

The person whose pay is being garnished is the garnishee.

By the way, you are the garnishor.

• gjanke likes this

#66 Phil Cowell

Phil Cowell

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Southern Tier NY

Posted 08 December 2018 - 10:57 PM

I was guessing Astromart checked if the credit card was valid before accepting somebody.  I remember some people were upset a credit card was required. 

Somebody mentioned the forums are not as busy. This type of forum is easy to use and how many people will not post because their name is required?

If it’s a fresh card it’ll work for an account. It’s not like a continual check. Nothing Is foolproof. Always be careful.

Edited by Phil Cowell, 08 December 2018 - 10:59 PM.

#67 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Viking 1

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted Yesterday, 03:24 PM

Sage advice all around......Makes me comfortable buying here from folks well rated and well respected by others here          never had a bad experience

other than a craigslist rescue in person   I am happy buying from folks here  and I am getting stuff that was well cared for and even had an original part reinstalled when missing or had lens cleaned / serviced  by someone who knows how to do it properly   There is plenty of great stuff sold by great people right here that a relative newbee feels secure

Having said that I have had 2 purchases on A-mart and both went well with fine rated folks

#68 epdreher

epdreher

Viking 1

• ****-
  • Loc: Texas Hill Country

Posted Yesterday, 05:19 PM

My wife and I have had several transactions here and the other place over the past 7+ years.

No troubles whatsoever in transactions and only one smart-aleck here during a recent inquiry.

All-in-all, everything went well for both buying and selling.  No place is perfect but, if you use common sense, it's easy to tell the wheat from the tares.

Edited by epdreher, Yesterday, 05:19 PM.

#69 earlyriser

earlyriser

Apollo

Posted Today, 07:31 AM

My concern is that the guy is legit but his account was hacked. Maybe I'm just being paranoid. 

edited to add

He's only about an hour and a half away, maybe I should offer to pick it up and hand him cash.

Got an email that the eyepiece was sold. The email address matches the name of the seller, so I'm thinking all the listings are legit. 

#70 Moravianus

Moravianus

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: AZ, Scottsdale

Posted Today, 04:34 PM

Mr. hmhiohio@gmail.com reported his Tak 120 sale fell through and he is ready to deal gain. He refused a visit with cash in hand today or tomorrow, only Paypal and shipping. Puff, he is gone from the other site.

#71 agmoonsolns

agmoonsolns

Mariner 2

• Loc: Puget Sound

Posted Today, 05:16 PM

Accounts usually get hacked when e-mail is hacked first giving the attacker a wealth of data to use and a way to confirm things. Just because e-mail matches doesn't mean anything. I have seen this time and again with work.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics