•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Picking galaxy targets: listed by magnitude, surface brightness and or angular size?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 f300v10

f300v10

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 December 2018 - 11:10 AM

Santa should have an ASI294MC-Pro with my name on it for Christmas, so I am holding off on shooting nebula until then as my current DSLR has not been modded for astro work.  In the mean time I would like to concentrate on shooting galaxies as they seem to work fairly well with un-modded cameras.  So far I've shot the more obvious targets that are 'in season' at the moment, M31, M33 and NGC7331. Other obvious choices such as M81/82, M51 etc. are currently to low in the sky during my imaging time window (7 - midnight) so I'm waiting until spring to shoot them.

The issue I have is there are so many choices, but many are either to dim and or to small to make good targets for my scope (1000mm f5.3).  I've attempted to find a resource with basic data such as angular size, magnitude and position/constellation to help speed up the selection process but have not had any luck.  Does such a resource exist?  Is there a 'best galaxies to image' list out there somewhere?  I'm also open to suggestions from fellow galaxy hunters.

Thanks

#2 rdw4176

rdw4176

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 06 December 2018 - 11:16 AM

You might want to take a look at dso-browser, there is a lot of info available and you can filter with your own criteria

• George Simon, cmooney91 and f300v10 like this

#3 f300v10

f300v10

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 December 2018 - 11:40 AM

Wow, that is exactly what I wanted but didn't expect to find.  Looks like a super powerful resource, thanks so much!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics