•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Newt Mirror Cell

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#26 stargazer193857

stargazer193857

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Southern Idaho

Posted 19 December 2018 - 06:29 PM

A fan lets you start viewing much sooner, blowing off the boundary layer. If you wait, you might not need one. But if your mirror is thick, and you are at high altitude, you will need a fan to keep up. Also depends what magnification you like to use. High power lovers need a fan.

#27 Sam Danigelis

Sam Danigelis

Mariner 2

• Loc: Excelsior Springs, MO

Posted 19 December 2018 - 11:23 PM

At this point in my career (very new), w/ 6" mirror, I just put the scope outside (or in the car) about an hour before viewing. I may get tired of this arrangement at some point, and install fans. Or not. I'm pretty cheap.

#28 Pinbout

Pinbout

ISS

• Loc: Montclair, NJ

Posted 20 December 2018 - 11:23 AM

At this point in my career (very new), w/ 6" mirror, I just put the scope outside (or in the car) about an hour before viewing. I may get tired of this arrangement at some point, and install fans. Or not. I'm pretty cheap.

that's fine, its not mandatory...but if you do want to install fans, its nice to have the ability to.

plus. with the circle / triangle plates the glass is a lot more exposed to the air around it.

just saying.

#29 Sam Danigelis

Sam Danigelis

Mariner 2

• Loc: Excelsior Springs, MO

Posted 20 December 2018 - 02:32 PM

True. I noticed that the triangle gives a lot of room for air to circulate. Something my current design is a little weak on. Gives me ideas for improvement in future.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics