•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Hybrid diagonal .965 to 1.25 Celestron CO-60E OTA

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Far-Out

Far-Out

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 06 December 2018 - 02:15 PM

Greetings “Guardians of the Night”

I just bought off the classifieds a Celestron CO-60E OTA 60mm F15.

And am looking for the best route to take. For a diagonal for this scope.

Agena several Hybrid  diagonals.

1.Mirror about $30.00

2. Prism about $30.00

3. Mirror Dialetic about $70.00

I’m leaning toward the prism. I heard they work good with long focal lengths.

What are your thoughts?

Thanking anyone who takes the time to help me come to a decision.

I like the views of long small classic refractors. 

This Celestron Cometron seems to have an all metal focuser and I’m hoping the lens cell will be all metal as well. The Name “Cometron” on the long tube looks great, and the color of the tube some kind of gray color looks great.

Peace,Larry

Edited by Far-Out, 07 December 2018 - 11:57 AM.

• Augustus likes this

#2 Boom

Boom

Vostok 1

Posted 06 December 2018 - 02:35 PM

IIRC, the CO60E is all plastic. From lens cell down to focuser.  The draw tube is metal.  The optics should be superb, however.  

A prism hybrid would work best, as they have the shortest light path.

• Augustus likes this

#3 terraclarke

terraclarke

Hubble

• Loc: Third from the Sun

Posted 06 December 2018 - 03:37 PM

Both of the prisms (90° and 45°) are erecting. I think you will be disappointed by a bright light bar cutting across the field when you use either for astronomical viewing.

• Boom, Chuck Hards and Augustus like this

#4 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

You don't know Swift from Astrola

• Administrators

Posted 06 December 2018 - 03:54 PM

Terra makes an excellent point about roof prisms.  On cheaply made examples, you see a bright line cutting vertically through the middle of the field.  Not visible for daytime use but it's noticeable on bright night-time objects.

• terraclarke likes this

#5 Boom

Boom

Vostok 1

Posted 06 December 2018 - 04:01 PM

Good catch by Terra that specifically the Agena/GSO 45 & 90 prism diagonals are erecting type.

• terraclarke likes this

#6 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

You don't know Swift from Astrola

• Administrators

Posted 06 December 2018 - 04:08 PM

All "ordinary" 90 degree prism and mirror diagonals will give you an erect image, but it's mirror-reversed left-to-right.

• terraclarke and Augustus like this

#7 Mountaineer370

Mountaineer370

Viking 1

• Loc: SE Michigan

Posted 06 December 2018 - 04:14 PM

The CO-60E was my first telescope, bought new back in the mid-1980s, and I still have it.  I can confirm that it is mostly plastic, except for the focuser drawtube, knobs, and I'm sure a few other parts inside the focuser that I can't see.  However, this is really a very nice little refractor, with the outstanding made-in-Japan Vixen glass.  As long as you have an understanding of its limitations, I think you will be pleased with the views.  Mine is a gray color.  I don't know if they came in other colors.

• Augustus likes this

#8 CharlieB

CharlieB

Soyuz

• Loc: Southern NH

Posted 06 December 2018 - 04:19 PM

There is plenty of focuser travel on this scope, so a mirror diagonal would work just fine.  You might also consider a .965 to 1.25 eyepiece adapter like the Blue Fireball.

I have the 50mm x 800mm version of that scope (CO-40) and even though it's plastic all around, it still functions very well.  Even the plastic focuser works well.  The finder is terrible.  The optics are absolutely fantastic.  DPAC test shows nearly perfectly straight lines.  Only my superb Unitron 105 is better, and only by a smidgin.

Attached Thumbnails

• Cometron 50 f16.jpg

• Far-Out, terraclarke, Augustus and 1 other like this

#9 Far-Out

Far-Out

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 06 December 2018 - 08:36 PM

How much do I know? Too funny.

Terra makes an excellent point about roof prisms.  On cheaply made examples, you see a bright line cutting vertically through the middle of the field.  Not visible for daytime use but it's noticeable on bright night-time objects.

I made a 70mm Carton refractor and put a budget Prism diagonal on it.

When I star tested this line appeared In the center. Couldn’t figure it out. 

Figured my telescope making skills where flawed. Until I figured it out.

Looks like a quality prism or an nice mirror diagonal.

Maybe the Blue Fireball adapter. 

Thank you,

Larry

Edited by Far-Out, 06 December 2018 - 09:40 PM.

• terraclarke likes this

#10 Far-Out

Far-Out

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 06 December 2018 - 09:38 PM

There is plenty of focuser travel on this scope, so a mirror diagonal would work just fine.  You might also consider a .965 to 1.25 eyepiece adapter like the Blue Fireball.

I have the 50mm x 800mm version of that scope (CO-40) and even though it's plastic all around, it still functions very well.  Even the plastic focuser works well.  The finder is terrible.  The optics are absolutely fantastic.  DPAC test shows nearly perfectly straight lines.  Only my superb Unitron 105 is better, and only by a smidgin.

Plastic focuser but good optics. For what I paid it will be fun project to get going.

I will add rings vixen bar and finder and diagonal. Than I should have a decent long tube

refractor.

Thank you,

Larry

Edited by Far-Out, 06 December 2018 - 09:41 PM.

• Augustus and Mountaineer370 like this

#11 Far-Out

Far-Out

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 07 December 2018 - 12:18 PM

mountaineer

I don't know if they came in other colors.

It is gray. My memory eyes aren't what they used to be. Maybe that's a good thing?

Ordered Blue Fireball adapter. I have some nice 1.25" diagonals. 

I may post picture when I have it mounted.

I would like to say to all the friendly replies, thank you very much.

I may hang around this forum, a lot to be learned and very pleasant indeed.

Edited by Far-Out, 07 December 2018 - 01:39 PM.

• terraclarke and Mountaineer370 like this

#12 Far-Out

Far-Out

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 07 December 2018 - 02:38 PM

It's nice to have excellent. Has anyone pulled the optics and remounted in a metal cell?

My friend Dennis always used to tell me Larry the most important think in the telescope train is the optics. You can't buy great eyepieces trying to improve sub-optics. So that is nice to know.

At least focus wheels are metal. "Wow a Unitron 105 only a smidgin better".  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics