•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

N00b Q yet again: Who's correct about 46P/Wirtanen's location?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 fewayne

fewayne

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: Madison, WI, USA

Posted 06 December 2018 - 02:24 PM

So if I run KStars for my location and, say 7 PM Dec 8, it thinks 46P/Wirtanen is 3h 39m 17s, +6° 16' 00". Easy-peasy. Since that's what I usually use to point my scope, I'm ready to go...right?

Except if I ask, say, the SkyLive Blog or JPL's Horizons ephemeris, translating local to UTC, I get significantly different answers. (Can't get the table formatted, so doing a screen shot -- sorry!)

Is there that much of a difference between the J2000 and J2018 epochs? Or is something else going on here? Should be something like 15' discrepancy, right, not 9 degrees!

Screen Shot 2018-12-06 at 1.25.50 PM.png

Edited by fewayne, 06 December 2018 - 02:26 PM.

#2 RyanSem

RyanSem

Mariner 2

• Loc: Marietta, GA

Posted 06 December 2018 - 02:45 PM

I ran into this problem with SkySafari vs. Stellarium. Luckily they were both close enough to be within a couple FOVs so I just went from one to another I see which was accurate. In the end, SkySafari was correct. 

SkyLive is the same as my SkySafari, so I would go with that. 

Edit: Incidentally, tonight would be a very easy night to find it, being that it's right next to the star Azha (which is bright enough that I can see it in a border red/white zone)

Edited by RyanSem, 06 December 2018 - 02:46 PM.

#3 sg6

sg6

Soyuz

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 06 December 2018 - 02:51 PM

There is a reasonable difference. Skysafari uses 2018, university I visit uses the 2000 - big old catalogue of stars and objects. If you are inputting the RA+Dec then I would expect the 2018 to be the more accurate at this time.

If reading what a handset says, you do not really get a choice.

Guess it is caused by our movement and precession of the earth about its axis. May also be something from the elliptical orbit we have

#4 beggarly

beggarly

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Belgium

Posted 06 December 2018 - 04:05 PM

I think you need to update the comet orbital elements in KStars.

I used C2A to calculate an ephemeris using the latest orbital elements. Set location to 43°4′N 89°24′W time zone UTC-6.
(I still may have overlooked something.)

Attached Files

Edited by beggarly, 06 December 2018 - 04:24 PM.

• fewayne likes this

#5 fewayne

fewayne

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: Madison, WI, USA

Posted 06 December 2018 - 05:45 PM

A-HA! That was the key! Actually all I had to do was go to Data | Updates | Update Comets Orbital Elements and KStars was right with the others. But thanks for the link, too, with that I was able to update Stellarium too (which, oddly, didn't have 46P/Wirtanen at all).

Now I just have to switch my Raspberry Pi running StellarMate over to WiFi (instead of being a WiFi hotspot), do the same, and I ought to be able to do a GOTO Saturday night.

Sadly, I have commitments tonight and tomorrow both which will preclude astro, at least from a dark site. But I'm rubbing my hands for Saturday. (Will have to rub them a LOT on Saturday night, as it's expected to be 20° F / -7° C.)

Thanks!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics