•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Final Touches to the system

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 06 December 2018 - 02:42 PM

Due to a lot of reasons my EAA setup is the sirius AZ-EA in AZ mode with a C8 on one side and an ES102 Triplet on the other. ZW0 224 on the C8 with a Meade FR3.3 and the ES102 (sometimes with .5 reducer) with a Panasonic Gx8 downloading to a folder running on a laptop with Eqmod/SharpCap/ various scope control programs. I've been using it only with the laptop at the scope. Santa is bring DEW control and a LapDome so I feel comfortable not being at the scope. So today I fired up the system at the farthermost viewing location in the yard (about 45' from the last repeater) and Everything works! Taken a year to get the remote part down (Using Teamviewer to a TV that does a good job of uprezing the laptop resolution. An added benefit of this setup for me is that I can send the Gx8 files to the desktop and use either SharpCap or DSS while live view from whatever scope has the Gx8 on it and watch the live feed from the 224. It's not a perfect system but it works for me and I have loads of options like piggybacking another Gx8 on either scope with my PL100-400 or other lenses using the built-in intervelometer, or using the ST80 on top of either scope with a .5 reducer with either the Gx8 #2 or Gx85 (no download capacity with this camera).

From not doing anything for two years to building this system in one year, what a change. And am so sick that I'm probably going to subscribe to slooh and run it on the other screen for the southern and other parts of the northern sky I can't reach with my system.

I have two good locations for the system in my yard, but the best is close to my basement, so can take everything in doors in about 5 minutes and back to bed:)

Next year I might try some guided work but not before I enjoy doing this for a while.

I thought I would do this inexpensively but with the 102/new mount/laptop and other goodies not so much..........

• roelb and cmooney91 like this

#2 starblue

starblue

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Austin, TX, USA

Posted 07 December 2018 - 08:26 PM

... my EAA setup is the sirius AZ-EA in AZ mode with a C8 on one side and an ES102 Triplet on the other. ZW0 224 on the C8 with a Meade FR3.3 and the ES102 (sometimes with .5 reducer) with a Panasonic Gx8 downloading to a folder running on a laptop with Eqmod/SharpCap/ various scope control programs.

You have a Panasonic M4/3 camera tethered to a PC? I wasn't aware Panasonic cameras could be tethered for astronomy. Can you elaborate? What's the output port on the camera? What's the cord between the camera and computer? What software on the PC actually receives the images and puts them into a folder? Just how much control of the camera do you have from the PC (e.g. change exposure, set menu items, reposition focus area, etc.)? I have a GX8 and am very interested in this development. 

#3 Rickster

Rickster

Viking 1

• Loc: NC Kansas

Posted 07 December 2018 - 11:18 PM

Pics? smile.gif

• DSO_Viewer likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics