•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Explore Scientific EOS T-ring

dslr equipment
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 1997xf11

1997xf11

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Ottawa, Canada

Posted 06 December 2018 - 07:18 PM

Greetings!

I just purchase an Explore Scientific field flattener with EOS camera adapter for my ED80 scope. When I attach it to my T4i camera, I get either of the following message from the camera - "Firmware update failed. Try updating again" or "Err01 - Communications between the camera and lens is faulty. please clean contacts". 

The camera is running the latest firmware and the contact have been cleaned. Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

#2 bobito

bobito

Apollo

• Loc: Litchfield County, CT

Posted 06 December 2018 - 09:22 PM

On my EOS M100 I had to put the camera in Movie Mode then change a setting to allow shutter release without lens attached.  I don't recall if I got an error on not, so not sure if this is your issue.  See about half way down this article for details:  https://support-hk.c...8203597900.html

#3 bill5wjw

bill5wjw

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 07 December 2018 - 04:17 PM

Sounds like that message has nothing to do with the flattener, as the flattener itself has no electrical contacts like a typical Canon lens (with auto focus ability for example). Connect a  Canon lens to the camera (if available) and see what message pops up- there appears to be an issue within the camera itself. Other than that, I see no reason why your scope/reducer/camera combination won't function normally-unless the underlying issue won't let the camera snap a picture.

#4 Melgabean

Melgabean

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Colorado

Posted 07 December 2018 - 05:10 PM

Can you send us a link to which field flattener and t ring you purchased?

#5 1997xf11

1997xf11

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Ottawa, Canada

Posted 07 December 2018 - 06:43 PM

Sounds like that message has nothing to do with the flattener, as the flattener itself has no electrical contacts like a typical Canon lens (with auto focus ability for example). Connect a  Canon lens to the camera (if available) and see what message pops up- there appears to be an issue within the camera itself. Other than that, I see no reason why your scope/reducer/camera combination won't function normally-unless the underlying issue won't let the camera snap a picture.

Thanks for your replies. I should have been more specific in my original post. Indeed, the flattener itself is not the issue however the T-ring has what looks like some kind of chip and contacts glued to it. Here's the link : https://explorescien...ener-ffedapo-ca

and a photo...

The camera works fine with a regular lens.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0700.JPG

Edited by 1997xf11, 07 December 2018 - 08:45 PM.

#6 Melgabean

Melgabean

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Colorado

Posted 07 December 2018 - 09:41 PM

And you tried cleaning the contacts on the t ring? Those contacts are supposed to line up with the contacts in your camera. If lenses work and the t ring doesn't after cleaning I'd send it back and get a different t ring.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dslr, equipment

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics