•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

rebuilding tapping head

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dmcnally

dmcnally

Machined Parts

• Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Lompoc, CA

Posted 06 December 2018 - 07:28 PM

I have a Procunier tapping head that needed some attention (i.e. maintenance) and I thought this would be a good opportunity to show the forum what's inside a Procunier tapping head.

This is my tapping head.  It's a Procunier Model 1E and you can use it to tap thread up to 1/4" in aluminum and 3/16" in steel.  There's a 10-24 tap in it.

IMG_5312.jpg

For those of you that are not familiar with tapping heads, please watch this YouTube video (click image below).

tubalcain.jpg

This picture shows the tapping head and some accessories (wreches, collets, rotation bar).

IMG_5313.jpg

The tapping head with the top removed.  The cork is conical and is the clutch.  The clutch is actually a double cone and there's a better picture of it later.

IMG_5317.jpg

Looking down the throats of the two main pieces.

IMG_5319.jpg

Exploded view of the lower unit.

IMG_5320.jpg

continued in the next post.

Clear Skies and Happy Holidays,

Dave

• PrestonE, otocycle, kw6562 and 2 others like this

#2 dmcnally

dmcnally

Machined Parts

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 06 December 2018 - 07:28 PM

Here's a closeup of the reverse gear.

IMG_5321.jpg

Bearing and botton cone.

IMG_5330.jpg

Here's a better view of the dual cone clutch.

IMG_5329.jpg

Clutch and botton cone.

IMG_5332.jpg

Exploded view of shaft.

IMG_5334.jpg

Another view of the two body sections.

IMG_5335.jpg

That's it.

Dave

Edited by dmcnally, 06 December 2018 - 07:35 PM.

• PrestonE, gregj888, brave_ulysses and 2 others like this

#3 GoFish

GoFish

Viking 1

• Loc: Kentucky/Colorado

Posted 06 December 2018 - 07:37 PM

I have a Tapmatic head that really needs to be lubed. But I am terrified to take it apart tongue2.gif

#4 dmcnally

dmcnally

Machined Parts

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 06 December 2018 - 07:59 PM

I have a Tapmatic head that really needs to be lubed. But I am terrified to take it apart tongue2.gif

I can't speak about Tapmatic products, but the support for Procunier heads is very good.

Here's a link to the parts manual for the 1E model.  Other manuals can be downloaded here.

You can also order all of the replacement parts at this website.

Dave

• don clement likes this

#5 don clement

don clement

Vendor (Clement Focuser)

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Running Springs, California

Posted 07 December 2018 - 12:02 AM

+1 on Procunier  tapping head. I have tapped 10s of thousands of blind 4-40 holes with my Procunier 1E  tapping head with excellent results on both manual and CNC mills.  A nice thing about using the Procunier on my Tormach CNC mill is that the code is so simple 2 lines:100% downfeed rate, no dwell, and retract at 200% downfeed rate. Also I tap aluminum 4-40 with a Balax form tap at 1200 rpm so fastand and no chips.  With the cushioned double-cone clutch small taps i.e. 0-80 work great. In addition I installed the Pro-Quik quick change tap holders so changing tap sizes is just a snap away. http://rockford-ettc...Pro-QuikTap.pdf I just enter the z height for each tap size in the tool table and quickly swap out tap size during tool change. I made a bracket with anti-rotation rod and TTS quick change tooling so changing the entier Procunier tap head on my Tormach is quick and easy especially with the power drawbar.

Don

Attached Thumbnails

• ProcunierIMG_1205web.jpg
  • tapheadbackviewweb.jpg
  • ProcunierQuickPro.jpg
  • ProcunierSpindleArmUnderVie.jpg
  • procunierIMG_1199web.jpg
  • ProcunierIMG_1200web.jpg

Edited by don clement, 07 December 2018 - 12:28 AM.

• PrestonE, brave_ulysses and dmcnally like this

#6 dmcnally

dmcnally

Machined Parts

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 07 December 2018 - 08:31 AM

I made a bracket with anti-rotation rod and TTS quick change tooling so changing the entier Procunier tap head on my Tormach is quick and easy especially with the power drawbar.

Don

Hi Don,

That bracket is really cool. bow.gif bow.gif   I've been thinking about something like that, but haven't done anything about it... yet.

I like the quick change tap holders.  I mostly do 10-24, but the quick change holders would be nice to have.

Dave

• don clement likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics