•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

That's it - no more Mars this apparition..!

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 06 December 2018 - 07:43 PM

Title says it all...a very remote chance we'll try once more on Uranus or Neptune but in all likelihood the last planetary images for this year - we are literally exhausted!

A poor outcome but a couple of brightish spots upon hard looking wink.gif that I commented upon in my last image (3rd) which it seems in all likelihood are simply small pockets of brightish dust on the surface: I promised Richard we'd try to continue but it is just getting too hard down here nowadays, so "Arrivederci Red Planet" & hopefully we'll still be around in 2020! shocked.gif  

m2018-12-05_10-47_rgb_dpm.png

• Mike Phillips, cyberplocos, John Boudreau and 21 others like this

#2 Sunspot

Sunspot

Cosmos

• Loc: Surprise, AZ

Posted 06 December 2018 - 08:06 PM

Wimp.....lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif

• Mike Phillips likes this

#3 Jeff B1

Jeff B1

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: South Central Florida

Posted 06 December 2018 - 08:12 PM

Wimp....lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif

• Mike Phillips likes this

#4 kevinbreen

kevinbreen

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Wexford, Ireland

Posted 06 December 2018 - 08:15 PM

Yep, that’s atrocious. Get real !

#5 George Bailey

George Bailey

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Iowa

Posted 06 December 2018 - 08:20 PM

So long and thanks for all the fis ... photos !!!  laugh.gif bow.gif waytogo.gif

#6 Dartguy

Dartguy

Apollo

• Loc: Louisville

Posted 06 December 2018 - 08:34 PM

There's always the moon!

#7 agmoonsolns

agmoonsolns

Ranger 4

• Loc: Puget Sound

Posted 06 December 2018 - 09:06 PM

That is such an awesome image!

When will Jupiter start to become visible again?

#8 kbev

kbev

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Far, far east Mesa

Posted 07 December 2018 - 03:55 AM

I don't blame you Darryl, when the temps are high and the no-see-ums are swarming around I have a hard time talking myself into going out even though I'm just stepping into my back yard. But there's always Jupiter to look forward to in a few months!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

#9 AstroEthan

AstroEthan

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cibolo, Texas, United States

Posted 07 December 2018 - 03:51 PM

Looks like a strong ending to an interesting apparition Darryl waytogo.gif ! Me and my father are certainly done targeting Mars with the C14 this apparition, but I like to start early and end late when it's just me and the C8.

• Sunspot likes this

#10 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 07 December 2018 - 05:57 PM

Thanks everyone for the ...errr...kind words! lol.gif Also for the "Likes."

Pulling out the ASI224MC & using it with the ADC plus the EFW for the last few sessions was certainly an interesting experience - as John B. pointed out to me going back, greater spacing between ADC & sensor results in much greater "correction control" so after the first time I rigged both barlow lens element & ADC before the EFW & the camera behind it... but either way the image scale was far greater than "normal" - FC determined f/l at 10250mm to 10450mm, pretty big on the screen still! wink.gif

The ADC was primarily to enhance our prospects on Uranus & I certainly think it did for that recent one, but Mars was getting very low for us also...

The website is now almost up to date & I'll probably post a few images from it here as a final Mars fanfare & a "PR" as a website "promo." lol.gif

• Sunspot and h2ologg like this

#11 ToxMan

ToxMan

Soyuz

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona, USA

Posted 07 December 2018 - 06:29 PM

I'm not exhausted. I missed the whole apparition. As always, enjoying your posts and images!

#12 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 08 December 2018 - 05:31 PM

Thanks Paul...I thought you'd purchased a new camera not too long ago..? - or maybe I'm getting a bit more h/crazy!

It's sure been a long year for us & even though we reduced the Saturn imaging to concentrate on Mars, which also meant less Neptune imaging as well, I think we might've got carried away with the Red Planet a tad! :lol:

• ToxMan likes this

#13 troyt

troyt

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Australia

Posted 09 December 2018 - 04:58 AM

A good image  wink.gif

#14 schu

schu

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Nebraska

Posted 09 December 2018 - 10:54 AM

Great image.  I just reviewed your 2018 Mars section on the website too - thanks for posting all of these.   I hope to one day be half as good at this as you...

In retrospect even though the dust storm was disappointing at the time, it was definitely an interesting apparition.

#15 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 09 December 2018 - 06:36 PM

In retrospect even though the dust storm was disappointing at the time, it was definitely an interesting apparition.

Thanks Troy & schu...& I agree - even at my age I still dream of that one night of excellent seeing when everything gels & the resolution is outstanding...& even though the effects of the dust storm had a major impact on what was visible, with high amounts of airborne particles still influencing this way after the "storms" per se...some aspects of the Martian landscape actually benefitted from the re-arrangement of the surface dust.

Valles Marineris was picked out by brighter dust spectacularly imo, in a way that no amount of good seeing could have provided in "normal" circumstances...the same with craters in general & those around the Argyre Basin in particular.

Still a few later images to upload on the website...there's always something else to do there & thanks for the kind words! smile.gif  

#16 ToxMan

ToxMan

Soyuz

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona, USA

Posted 09 December 2018 - 06:45 PM

Thanks Paul...I thought you'd purchased a new camera not too long ago..? - or maybe I'm getting a bit more h/crazy!

No, not at all...Camera, ADC all came late June, and our monsoons rolled in with a vengeance...there were few breaks in the rain and clouds until October.

Working with an ADC was a frustrating learning exercise. My GEM was down for re-lubrication. By the time I came up with a working imaging rig, November was here.

Saturn was out of reach, and Mars was getting too small. Uranus was too small; Neptune too small. Work got in the way. So, decided to bag it for this season. Not whining...no pressure here. I'm confident everything will come together next year.

Keep up the great work.

#17 moonwatching ferret

moonwatching ferret

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: sebastian fl

Posted 09 December 2018 - 07:14 PM

I don't blame you Darryl, when the temps are high and the no-see-ums are swarming around I have a hard time talking myself into going out even though I'm just stepping into my back yard. But there's always Jupiter to look forward to in a few months!

NO SEE THEMS !!! I get swarmed by them every night im out. them and mousquietos also have a pack of cyotes right in my back yard plus a john cat (mountain lion) ? see him almost every day pluss those anoying frogs calling nonstop. lol theirs a new moon plus i think mars is kinfd of high up and close ti neppy so in a few nights if its clear and calm I will venture out and try some imaging, I gave up on mars log ago but i figure it being high up might compensate for its smaller size? perhaps i will out do Daryl lol.gif. besides i havent even given the blue dots a shot at all nor have i tried any dso work. to busy worrying aboot the house and where i will be in a few months. of the house sells in one or two months I will have to find some where i can still use the scope or buy a large red neck pick up and keep the scope in the back and drive to the beach to set up. but dont expect images every night if i have to do that. hopefully it all work out.

anyway nice imag Master jedi imager Daryl Jove will be back in the mrning sky by decembers end by late jan it should be ripe for imaging and i dont think the house will sell in one month

#18 Jeff B1

Jeff B1

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: South Central Florida

Posted 09 December 2018 - 07:35 PM

NO SEE THEMS !!! I get swarmed by them every night im out. them and mousquietos also have a pack of cyotes right in my back yard plus a john cat (mountain lion) ? see him almost every day pluss those anoying frogs calling nonstop. lol theirs a new moon plus i think mars is kinfd of high up and close ti neppy so in a few nights if its clear and calm I will venture out and try some imaging, I gave up on mars log ago but i figure it being high up might compensate for its smaller size? perhaps i will out do Daryl lol.gif. besides i havent even given the blue dots a shot at all nor have i tried any dso work. to busy worrying aboot the house and where i will be in a few months. of the house sells in one or two months I will have to find some where i can still use the scope or buy a large red neck pick up and keep the scope in the back and drive to the beach to set up. but dont expect images every night if i have to do that. hopefully it all work out.

anyway nice imag Master jedi imager Daryl Jove will be back in the mrning sky by decembers end by late jan it should be ripe for imaging and i dont think the house will sell in one month

A useful item I have found to be the best method for avoiding mosquito bites is the “No-See-Um Bug Jacket” from Campmor (http://www.campmor.com/Product___82170).

No-See-Um Jacket.jpg

Edited by Jeff B1, 09 December 2018 - 07:43 PM.

• Sunspot and brave_ulysses like this

#19 Sunspot

Sunspot

Cosmos

• Loc: Surprise, AZ

Posted 09 December 2018 - 09:00 PM

A useful item I have found to be the best method for avoiding mosquito bites is the “No-See-Um Bug Jacket” from Campmor (http://www.campmor.com/Product___82170).

attachicon.gif No-See-Um Jacket.jpg

My No-See-um's like to attack my ankles. Forces me to wear socks, which I detest, especially in the summer here in Phoenix. lol.gif

• kbev likes this

#20 kbev

kbev

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Far, far east Mesa

Posted 09 December 2018 - 09:17 PM

My No-See-um's like to attack my ankles. Forces me to wear socks, which I detest, especially in the summer here in Phoenix. lol.gif

THIS! They'll go for the arms as well but they do love the ankles which causes me no end of irritation for the next several days if I forget to put bug repellant on.

#21 moonwatching ferret

moonwatching ferret

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 10 December 2018 - 03:06 AM

i just ignore them they seem to be most acrtive at sunset and sunrise i just use a bit of off when things get ugly but when i fly my bush plane at sunset its another ball game i have to douse myself with off.. im already rested up and ready to go again waiting for Jupiters return, i will ty to get an image as soon as it clears the twees 

#22 moonwatching ferret

moonwatching ferret

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 10 December 2018 - 03:07 AM

lol we jacked Daryls thread but at east i posted here two or thre nights in a row

#23 moonwatching ferret

moonwatching ferret

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 10 December 2018 - 03:09 AM

with some posibility of some images in the next few nights weather and time permiting Daryl how far will mrs be from neptune in around 2 to 3 days from now?

#24 kevinbreen

kevinbreen

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Wexford, Ireland

Posted 10 December 2018 - 04:52 AM

Nice image Darryl! - took me ages too find it way up at the top of this mosquito thread!

#25 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 10 December 2018 - 07:27 AM

Nice image Darryl! - took me ages too find it way up at the top of this mosquito thread!

...obviously you also forgot that you'd already made a...errr..."comment" earlier Kev! waytogo.gif

Ferret, I think you meant you "hi" - jacked my thread..! :rofl:

Here we use tea-tree oil, otherwise known as melaleuca oil from a native tree, the paper-bark.

Sends mozzies fleeing for their lives...but unfortunately the flying ants & other little blighters don't give a toss & just crawled into our clothing & engaged in mass...errr, activities the other night!

Mars will probably get so close to Neptune it'll be sucked into it by gravity & implode Ferret - that or they'll combine colours & both turn yellow! bigshock.gif graduate.sml.gif

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics