•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Emergency Help Needed with EQ6-R Pro

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Falco

Falco

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Minneapolis

Posted 06 December 2018 - 10:28 PM

I am supposed to leave for a dark sky site 1,000 miles away tomorrow and, of course, I'm having major issues the night before. I was planning on running a through quick setup tonight just to make sure everything was calibrated properly and I found my mount is having a major issue, and I'm really hoping it's user error. The mount starts up just fine, slews normally (I think), but PHD's graph jumps straight off the chart with in 10 seconds. Even if it were just having trouble guiding, I would think it would stay more aligned than that. This makes me think it's the mount, no? However, I took a couple 120s subs and the stars seems reasonably round.

The last time I had the mount set up I attempted to use plate solving for the first time. I used SGP's platesolve2. It seemed to slew the target alright but then had an issue solving. I don't even remember what the error message was, but I thought nothing of it and planned to try it again another night. Is there a possibility this could have changed something to cause this? 

I use a USB to serial adapter with ASCOM. Sharpcap said alignment was "Excellent"  

I tried going back to the factory settings on the mount: no luck?

What else can I try? Please help save a trip!!

If it matters: WO 73mm scope, ASI1600MM, Orion 60mm guidescope with ASI120 camera, running SGP, PHD, ASCOM

#2 Michael Harris

Michael Harris

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Kentucky, USA

Posted 06 December 2018 - 11:05 PM

I do not know this mount, but I have factory reset my Celestron AVX mount to later find that the Location settings had changed back to Palo Alto, California (I live in Kentucky). Having used a similar scope and software setup, another thing that comes to mind is the PHD2 calibration may need to be re done. That’s about as far as my expertise goes at this time. I hope you have a good trip!

• Aaron_tragle likes this

#3 NorthField

NorthField

Viking 1

• Loc: SW Missouri

Posted 06 December 2018 - 11:09 PM

Clutches good and tight?

#4 Falco

Falco

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 December 2018 - 11:48 PM

I believe so. I powered off and started the process over at least 4-5 times, each time slowing down and looking for odd errors. I checked the coordinates, time, elevation etc. more times than I would like to admit. The hour angle in SynScan matched my PS Align app almost exactly.  

#5 GoFish

GoFish

Viking 1

• Loc: Kentucky/Colorado

Posted 06 December 2018 - 11:59 PM

Any chance the camera in the guide scope got rotated?  I inadvertently did this once and got a similar response from PHD2. 

Edited by GoFish, 06 December 2018 - 11:59 PM.

#6 NorthField

NorthField

Viking 1

• Loc: SW Missouri

Posted 06 December 2018 - 11:59 PM

im assuming you’re trying again and maybe everything is cool now

Right?

#7 Falco

Falco

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 December 2018 - 12:08 AM

GoFish: I have done that before and gotten confused as well. Unfortunately, I did check that, multiple times.

Northfield: I restarted and pushed on the clutches more than before, no luck. Although it is extra cold here in MPLS tonight. Not sure if that is freezing something up.  

#8 StarMike8SE

StarMike8SE

Apollo

• Loc: Florida

Posted 07 December 2018 - 10:10 AM

Have you cleared the calibration data in PHD2 and recalibrated?

#9 kidogofoto

kidogofoto

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Westervoort,NL

Posted 07 December 2018 - 10:22 AM

And in PHD, brain-guiding, do NOT check the invert DEC after Meridian flip checkbox! After you have changed this, recalibrate PHD.

#10 Falco

Falco

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 December 2018 - 08:52 PM

Recalibrating PHD did the trick. Thanks so much! CN to the rescue! But out of curiosity, and for future reference, any ideas what can cause PHD to go so wonky? The two things I've done recently that I think might have contributed to the issue are 1) the aforementioned attempted SGP plate solve and 2) put a new scope and guide scope combo on the mount. The new guide scope is 280mm focal length vs. the 240mm of the old one. I changed the focal length value in PHD's settings, but that was it.  

#11 Michael Harris

Michael Harris

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Kentucky, USA

Posted 07 December 2018 - 09:30 PM

As a newbie I have had lots of opportunities to learn by making mistakes. Hours worth of them. One of thrm was not realizing the PHD2 works better when the X/Y axes of the guide camera are roughly aligned with the RA/DEC axes of the sky, and that if the program gets wonky, you can always re-calibrate. It seems like an intuitive program and after some experience, it is, but those details matter. Once I figured out the connection scheme, and got some settings down, SGP seemed a relative breeze. I am now learning TheSkyX Pro and it has many nice features and runs on my Mac. Good luck again on your imaging trip.

#12 spokeshave

spokeshave

Surveyor 1

Posted Yesterday, 09:32 AM

Recalibrating PHD did the trick. Thanks so much! CN to the rescue! But out of curiosity, and for future reference, any ideas what can cause PHD to go so wonky? The two things I've done recently that I think might have contributed to the issue are 1) the aforementioned attempted SGP plate solve and 2) put a new scope and guide scope combo on the mount. The new guide scope is 280mm focal length vs. the 240mm of the old one. I changed the focal length value in PHD's settings, but that was it.

The new guide scope invalidated the calibration in PHD2. It calibrates to determine which direction and how much the star image on the sensor moves when the mount moves. When you change the FL of the guide scope and orientation of the guide camera (even a little bit - which is inevitable when you physically move it) PHD2 must be recalibrated.

Tim

#13 f300v10

f300v10

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted Yesterday, 09:38 AM

Since I travel to observe/image I re-calibrate every session.  In general I keep the guidescope and camera attached to the main OTA, but as Tim points out even the slightest change in orientation between the mount and guidecope/camera will invalidate your previous calibration.  So unless you have left your scope untouched between your last calibration, its best to re-calibrate every time.

• Dan Finnerty likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics