•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

iOptron CEM120 vs CEM60 or Celestron CGX-L

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Michaeljhogan

Michaeljhogan

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 December 2018 - 01:06 AM

Yes i know the CEM120 even the CEM60 has better PE than the Celestron CGX-L but im terrified of the engage/disengage gears after a few people breaking their mount

the only good thing about the iOptron CEM120 is it has locks on the gears and switches unlike the CEM60 which you just turn until you feel it engage.

I use to have a Cge Pro 75lbs was what they said i think it was more like 85lbs CEM120 is 57lbs thats 18lbs lighter than the Cge Pro i wished they redisigned the CEM60

like the CEM120 make it more safer am i overblowing the problem ?

#2 barbarosa

barbarosa

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: 130miles W of Yosemite

Posted 07 December 2018 - 02:03 AM

Yes.

Hey if you have the cash and need the performance then by all means get the 120, but not because you ae worried that you might on some rare occasion fail to engage the gears or fully release them when you  have forgotten to put on the counterweights and the scope crashes against the stops and you are struck by the counterweight bar, breaking your jaw or head and are taken to the emergency room where some trainee doctor makes the wrong diagnosis and are unable to eat solid food or see in color ever again and mean while the mount has to go back for service because somehow the teeth were knocked off the gears and the worm bent out of true, and seeing and hearing about this both your wife and girl friend leave you muttering about expensive attorneys.

Edited by barbarosa, 07 December 2018 - 03:37 PM.

• 1074j, Astrola72 and Michaeljhogan like this

#3 gotak

gotak

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Toronto, CA

Posted 07 December 2018 - 08:17 AM

Lol. The gear thing isn't that bad they updated with a safety switch as well. If you follow the steps should be fine.

#4 Real14

Real14

Surveyor 1

• Loc: San Luis Potosi, Mexico

Posted 07 December 2018 - 10:47 AM

but im terrified of the engage/disengage gears after a few people breaking their mount

Hi,

I have read many of the CEM 60 messages here but did not read a single one where somebody said he broke his mount confused1.gif

Do yourself a favor and take all the complaints with a big spoon full of salt. If you base your decisions on what you read here better do buy a " Premium Mount " and none of the ones you mentioned. IMHO

The mechanical skill varies a lot. While some do not know what a Hex key  is, others tear apart the mounts and after assembling them again they have two of them ... lol.gif

Rainer

Edited by Real14, 07 December 2018 - 11:32 AM.

• John Miele, barbarosa and StarMike8SE like this

#5 Michaeljhogan

Michaeljhogan

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 December 2018 - 05:45 PM

Their doesnt seem to be any Pier plate Adapter for this mount why

#6 carolinaskies

carolinaskies

Apollo

• Loc: Greenville SC

Posted 07 December 2018 - 07:08 PM

IOptron provides this PDF if you want to make a custom one for a home pier.  http://www.ioptron.c...036-120_CAD.pdf

They do offer an adapter plate for the 120 for the Tri-pier but do not recommend the Tripier for heavy payloads on the 120.  https://www.highpoin...i-pier-8036-120

#7 Astrola72

Astrola72

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland, USA

Posted 07 December 2018 - 11:52 PM

Lol. The gear thing isn't that bad they updated with a safety switch as well. If you follow the steps should be fine.

? Safety switch? I just got my CEM60 2 months ago, from iOptron, and it doesn't have anything like that.

But, having said that, I also don't think the "gear thing" is really a problem either.

Joe

#8 Astrola72

Astrola72

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland, USA

Posted 07 December 2018 - 11:55 PM

Dave at TPI Astro will make you one. He made me one to replace the top of a Starizona CGEM pier adapter. Works fine.

Joe

#9 gotak

gotak

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Toronto, CA

Posted 08 December 2018 - 07:39 AM

? Safety switch? I just got my CEM60 2 months ago, from iOptron, and it doesn't have anything like that.

But, having said that, I also don't think the "gear thing" is really a problem either.

Joe

Should have been more clear. That's new on the cem120.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics