•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Craigslist Ad, worth it?

equipment mount reflector tripod
  • Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 jeepcj5

jeepcj5

Lift Off

• topic starter
  • Loc: Central California USA

Posted 07 December 2018 - 01:37 AM

Howdy all,

I am always checking out Craigslist and have found some pretty good deals there. I have a new Orion 127mm Mak coming and need a mount, I came across this listing for this newt on CL:

https://sacramento.c...6762222280.html

Although I've never heard of this brand of scope a quick Google search indicated these are VERY much a budget line of scopes. While looking for this model in particular I couldn't find anything. I think this may be produced by someone else. The brass focuser is interesting as is the mount.

Has anyone ever seen one of these before? What say you concerning that mount for my new little Mak? I think for the asking price if it doesn't workout i could always donate it. Would sincerely appreciate any and all feedback...

Blessed Be & Clear Skies

#2 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 07 December 2018 - 03:52 AM

You need a mount for your Mak. I have not seen or used the scope in question but looking at the photos, my gut feeling is the mount would be adequate.

For $65, you'd have at least a workable mount for you Mak and some fun stuff to mess around with. 

I'd go for it..

jon

#3 Thomas Marshall

Thomas Marshall

Ranger 4

• Loc: Spring Valley AZ.

Posted 07 December 2018 - 03:54 AM

It looks like a very good find for such little money, - certainly worth grabbing up. That mount,  I would think,  would work very nicely with a 5" Mak.  I am looking right now at a package/scope that I paid same amount many months ago on a 'Facebook Scam', that turned out to be a $10.00 Toy, not useful for astronomy, that "PayPal" Did reimburse me for, and I haven't figured out what to do with it yet. So, point being, is that you are not buying blind, and can see it before buying, so everything looks Win/Win for you.  A bargain for sure that you can get some good use out of. 

#4 sg6

sg6

Soyuz

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 07 December 2018 - 04:03 AM

Well $65 is as you say not a lot and if you are willing to take the chance and if not right then donate to an astro club it is likely worth the chance. I bought a set of plossl's and ended up giving them away as they just didn't do it for me.

No idea on the scope, likely a rebrand with Galileo written on the side. So it depends on who made it originally, but it is a scope and will show things better then 2 eyeballs will. We often forget that just about any scope is an improvement on no scope.

The mount - well looks solid shouldn't have any trouble with your Mak. I see it has tubular steel legs. One aspect that I can foresee as a potential problem is no motors. Reason I say this is I tend to always suggest that a person has at least tracking with a Mak.

Mak's have a narrow views and just maintaining objects in view is a lot easier with motors. I have a 105 Mak and the tracking I find relevant. Equally a club has a small Mak undriven and they get along with that. It is a case of get object, view object, rfecenter object. Get a reasonable amount of time say 60 seconds maybe 90. But that needs to be considered.

Has the mount flexi adjuster things? Has it a polar scope - although stick Polaris in the center should be OK for visual.

Other option is simply buy it, get familair with an EQ, get viewing, later buy your own EQ, then donate it. Allows you to work out the situation at a low cost.

#5 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 07 December 2018 - 07:09 AM

Looks like a later run CG5 mount with the better legs. The mount would be worth $65 alone.

#6 cookjaiii

cookjaiii

Ranger 4

• Loc: Southeast PA

Posted 07 December 2018 - 07:29 AM

I would snap that up in a heartbeat.  A super-cheap learning experience if nothing else.  If it is a GC-5, and it looks like one to me, there is a dual motor tracking upgrade kit that can be purchased from ORION for $170.

https://www.telescop...AyABEgLPbfD_BwE

#7 stargazer193857

stargazer193857

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Southern Idaho

Posted 07 December 2018 - 10:41 PM

Very underpriced.

#8 dave brock

dave brock

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Hamilton, New Zealand

Posted 08 December 2018 - 01:22 AM

$65? Why am I seeing $195?

#9 jeepcj5

jeepcj5

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 08 December 2018 - 02:02 AM

Man this is just typical of a lot of people nowadays. I returned the guys email asking to go check out the scope tomorrow, we had corresponded earlier in the week. I get this reply:

"My wife wanted to reprice it!

Peter"

I wouldn't buy that scope now if he offered it for 5.00, maybe I was just raised differently in a time when a mans word meant something, obviously we know who wears the pants in that household...

• dave brock, Defenderslideguitar and Conaxian like this

#10 airbleeder

airbleeder

Apollo

• Loc: Powder Springs, Georgia

Posted 08 December 2018 - 10:52 AM

Sorry you didn't get it, but I learned a long time ago that if I run across what seems to be a good deal and not too much money involved, to grab it. I missed out on a collector putter once when the owner of a junk store did the same thing because I didn't know what I was looking at. While I was asking around to learn the value, he was doing the same. The price went from $40 to $1000 overnight. It's been so long ago that I have forgotten the name on the club, but I remember the lesson. 

That was before the internet, but now with it, it's too easy to find an item's value. It's possible he could have read this thread.

Edited by airbleeder, 08 December 2018 - 11:02 AM.

#11 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Viking 1

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 09 December 2018 - 02:24 PM

Man this is just typical of a lot of people nowadays. I returned the guys email asking to go check out the scope tomorrow, we had corresponded earlier in the week. I get this reply:

"My wife wanted to reprice it!

Peter"

I wouldn't buy that scope now if he offered it for 5.00, maybe I was just raised differently in a time when a mans word meant something, obviously we know who wears the pants in that household...

Well   maybe she can reprice it right into she is stuck with it territory   

iin my view she can keep that scope   not super quality  and for 175  her new price one could do better    still would want the mount though

or

wait a bit and maybe offer 40 just for the mount  or offer  10 for the mount only   and not ever care if you get it

Edited by Defenderslideguitar, 09 December 2018 - 02:27 PM.

#12 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Viking 1

Posted 09 December 2018 - 02:30 PM

Sorry you didn't get it, but I learned a long time ago that if I run across what seems to be a good deal and not too much money involved, to grab it. I missed out on a collector putter once when the owner of a junk store did the same thing because I didn't know what I was looking at. While I was asking around to learn the value, he was doing the same. The price went from $40 to $1000 overnight. It's been so long ago that I have forgotten the name on the club, but I remember the lesson. 

That was before the internet, but now with it, it's too easy to find an item's value. It's possible he could have read this thread.

Yes the internet  can help folks price things and determine value    or   inflate real value      check out the prices of some old Unitrons on ebay     folks can be so unrealistic  because of other's asking prices

• airbleeder likes this

#13 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Viking 1

Posted 09 December 2018 - 02:36 PM

https://sacramento.c...6760279159.html

meanhwile also on your area craigs    looks like a possible polaris mount with this celestron  maybe you could work around with this  and sell the tube?

Edited by Defenderslideguitar, 09 December 2018 - 02:37 PM.

#14 airbleeder

airbleeder

Apollo

• Loc: Powder Springs, Georgia

Posted 09 December 2018 - 02:59 PM

Yes the internet  can help folks price things and determine value    or   inflate real value      check out the prices of some old Unitrons on ebay     folks can be so unrealistic  because of other's asking prices

I agree. A friend of a friend called yeasterday wanting advice on buying a telescope. I advised him that some used scopes are way over-priced, but there are also some good bargains out there.

• Defenderslideguitar likes this

#15 jeepcj5

jeepcj5

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 10 December 2018 - 06:53 PM

Defenderslideguitar,

Good eye buddy! I'll have to inquire about that one... Thanks for all the positive feedback fellas, much appreciated...

#16 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Soyuz

Posted Yesterday, 11:55 PM

Around here we have an old Bushnell 4” SCT listed for $110. The ad talks about it in glowing terms, a vintage classic with attributes similar to a Questar. I mentioned that one of the photos made it look like the corrector and secondary were missing, and questioned if it was really a functional telescope. He didn’t reply but he did remove that picture from the ad...

Offer Up seems to be as bad or worse. Used, normal wear apparently means no base/mount for the Dob. New, open box can mean the GoTo controller is missing. Like New means missing parts and cannot reach focus.

Scott

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: equipment, mount, reflector, tripod

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics