•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

DSS: best DSS settings for non mod Nikon

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Traveler

Traveler

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter
  • Loc: The Netherlands

Posted 07 December 2018 - 03:21 AM

Lateley i am mess around with DSS settings (the latest version). I see for example funny RGB channels which are not at one place but looks like 3 seperated peaks. 

Can someone provide me the best stack settings and RAW settings for the latest version of DSS? I use a Nikon non mod D5500...

Thanks!

Edited by Traveler, 07 December 2018 - 06:59 AM.

#2 Jerry Lodriguss

Jerry Lodriguss

Vendor

• Vendors
  • Loc: Voorhees, NJ

Posted 07 December 2018 - 11:26 AM

Use Sunny white balance in the camera.

If you use a filter, you have to shoot a custom white balance with the filter in place.

In DSS, check "Use Camera White balance" in the Raw/FITS DDP settings.

Do not check "set black point to zero" on DSLR frames.

Then stack your images and  save as a 16-bit TIFF and be sure to check "embed adjustments in the saved image but do not apply them".

Then you must use a color-managed work flow.

Open the saved 16-bit TIFF in Photoshop and assign sRGB as the working color space.

Your image will open and it will be very dark and low in contrast because it is a linear 16-bit TIFF. 

You have to then subtract the sky glow from light pollution or airglow. Your color is not correct.

Then you apply a non-linear stretch to make the data viewable to human perception.

Then you enhance the contrast and color.

Some people will tell you that you don't need to worry about a white point or color management, and while technically true, it is much easier if you do it correctly.

BTW, three separate peaks is ok. Processing the color to align the peaks will make the sky neutral, but it will mess up all of the other colors in the stars and objects in the image. Imagine shooting a beautiful red sunset and aligning the histograms to make the sky gray. Histogram aligning does not produce correct color.

Jerry

Edited by Jerry Lodriguss, 07 December 2018 - 11:28 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics