•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

NGC 1055 / NGC 1068 / Supernova SN 2018ivc

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Terry R

Terry R

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Australia

Posted 07 December 2018 - 03:39 AM

This wide field image contains three interesting targets.  The first two are the larger galaxies in the foreground, NGC 1055 (lower left), and NGC 1068 or Messier 77 (upper right).  The third is a little harder to spot.  Zoom in on the galaxy in the upper right.  If you are familiar with M77, there is what appears to be a little star where no star was before.  It’s near the core, at the six o’clock position.  That new star like object is Supernova SN 2018ivc.  If you are having difficulty spotting it, I constructed an animated gif that highlights the event.  Click on the image to zoom in.  https://www.astrobin...379580/?nc=user and you will see it blinking in the animation.

The top right galaxy has two names, Messier 77 or NGC 1068.  It’s a barred spiral galaxy in the constellation Cetus, about 47 million light years away.  Messier 77 has an estimated diameter of 170,000 light years and is one of the biggest galaxies of the Messier Catalogue.  The apparent size when viewed from our vantage point is 7.1 X 6.0 arc min with an apparent magnitude of 9.6

The galaxy in the lower left is NGC 1055.  This is an edge-on spiral galaxy located in the same constellation, Cetus.  It has a prominent bulge crossed by a wide knotty dark dust lane.  If you look carefully, several bright Ha areas can be easily seen.  NGC 155 is 52 million light years away, and has a diameter of about 115,800 light years across.  The apparent size is 7.6 X 2.7 arc min with an apparent magnitude of 11.4.  It’s a fairly dramatic look galaxy, and the glow around it is just amazing.  I really like the look of this galaxy.

Messier 77 and NGC 1044 are a binary system.  Because of this, I really wanted to include both objects in the same frame.  Normally, I would image each separately.

The third object is the Supernova SN 2018ivc.  The event happened midway during the imaging of this photo.  At first, I thought it was my eyes or a guiding error.  As I got more data, yep, something had changed.  Once I realised this, I then heard about it.   It only took 47 million years to get to us.  What’s a few days to realize what you are looking at?  If you’re interested in further information about the Supernova, there is a web page.  http://www.rochester.../sn2018ivc.html

Exposure Details:

• Lum 35X900 
  • Red 26X450
  • Green 16X450
  • Blue 16X450 
  • Ha 17X1800  

Total time 24.5 hours

Instruments Used:

• 10 Inch RCOS fl 9.1
  • Astro Physics AP-900 Mount
  • SBIG STL 11000m
  • FLI Filter Wheel
  • Astrodon Lum, Red, Green, Blue Filters
  • Baader Planetarium H-alpha 7nm Narrowband-Filter

Software Used

• CCDStack (calibration, alignment, data rejection, stacking)
  • Photoshop CS 6 (Image processing)

Astrobin

get.jpg?insecure

Flickr

45489980324_9be0ac0ed6.jpg

NGC 1055 / NGC 1068 / Supernova SN 2018ivc by Terry Robison, on Flickr

Thanks for looking

• buckeyestargazer, mikewayne3, aaube and 9 others like this

#2 AKHalea

AKHalea

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Houston, Texas, USA

Posted 07 December 2018 - 04:44 AM

Cool to see that you caught the SN right when it was born. Great GIF and the widefield image. TFS ...... Anil

#3 Quaternion

Quaternion

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: USA

Posted 07 December 2018 - 05:51 AM

This is way better than the APOD image of this same scene from yesterday.  Amazing that you caught a SUPERNOVA !!!

I wish I could take an image like this, but I think all I will be able to do is some planetary style DSO imaging ...we'll see.

Thanks for the inspiration.

#4 Terry R

Terry R

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 December 2018 - 07:04 AM

Cool to see that you caught the SN right when it was born. Great GIF and the widefield image. TFS ...... Anil

Every now and then you get lucky.  Thanks for the nice feedback.

This is way better than the APOD image of this same scene from yesterday.  Amazing that you caught a SUPERNOVA !!!

I wish I could take an image like this, but I think all I will be able to do is some planetary style DSO imaging ...we'll see.

Thanks for the inspiration.

Wow that is a very nice feedback.  Go for it.  Grab some photons.  After all, they have been travelling a very long time not to be used. waytogo.gif   

#5 astrovienna

astrovienna

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: The NoVa White Zone

Posted 07 December 2018 - 08:33 AM

Great work on both galaxies, Terry.  A science question about the SN:  is this on the faint side for an SN?  I don't track these down so I don't have any experience on this, but I'm used to the idea that SNs are often as bright as the galaxy itself.

Kevin

#6 Terry R

Terry R

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 December 2018 - 05:40 PM

Great work on both galaxies, Terry.  A science question about the SN:  is this on the faint side for an SN?  I don't track these down so I don't have any experience on this, but I'm used to the idea that SNs are often as bright as the galaxy itself.

Kevin

Hi Kevin.  Thanks on your great comment.  Well, when you put it all in perspective, you have to take into account that the light is coming from a single source some 47 million light years away.   There is no way that my instrument (a modest 10 inches) could see a single star at that distance.  The before and after shots of the supernova are very different, with the resulting supernova looking like a star imaged in our own galaxy.   This is an incredible amount of energy being emitted from a single source.  If the event where further away from the core of the galaxy which has perhaps billions of suns, visually it would be a lot easier to spot and appear to be more dramatic.   There are individuals that have seen this visually and that very impressive given the distance.  I hope this helps.      

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics