•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Astro goodies in Singapore?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 SkyRanger

SkyRanger

Ranger 4

• topic starter
  • Loc: Prescott Valley, AZ

Posted 07 December 2018 - 11:30 AM

I will be in Singapore for about a week next February. This is my first and probably my only trip to this part of the world.  

I see that there is a science center there with public viewing on several scopes and an active sidewalk astronomy group.  I am wondering, though, if there is any place there with smoking deals on astronomy gear?

The good news is that I don't really NEED anything.  Chinese made apos are the logical quest, but I already have a small apo, don't image, and don't need any scopes.  Is there any place there where I might find small items like EPs, filters, etc at bargain prices?  I wouldn't expect to find bargains there on TV or Baader, but perhaps on Leica, Pentax, Nikon, etc?  After 50 years in the hobby I don't really need any EPs, but I would like to explore the possibilities.  

Thanks!

GG

#2 DMach

DMach

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: The most light-polluted country in the world :(

Posted Today, 12:59 AM

Hi there,

I've been living and working in Singapore for a while now, only just got into astronomy recently ... will follow this thread with interest!

What I've learned so far:

There is an astronomy shop at the Science Centre (astro.com.sg) but the markup is quite high. But then we are talking about a very niche market in the most light polluted country in the world, so their markups probably *need* to be high to make their business viable.

I've also found astrobargains.com, run by a very nice fellow, but out of his house so it might be a bit hard to find if you're just visiting.

To be honest though, if you're looking for "smoking deals" on any consumer goods in Singapore, you're probably going to be disappointed.

Hong Kong would be a better bet, have heard of a couple of telescope shops there with good prices on Tak 'scopes for example.

For me, I wait until I have a business trip to the US and buy from there.

But maybe someone on this forum knows something I don't! wink.gif

Edited by DMach, Today, 01:15 AM.

#3 cheesified

cheesified

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Singapore

Posted Today, 03:45 AM

as far as I know, pretty much as DMach has mentioned. unfortunately so..

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics