•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What did you see last night in your binoculars? (Part 3)

• Please log in to reply
2813 replies to this topic

#2801 barbie

barbie

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Northeast Ohio

Posted 30 September 2022 - 09:19 PM

Last night, I viewed the waxing crescent moon in my Oberwerk 15x70 Deluxe. The moon was outstandingly sharp in these!!

Edited by barbie, 30 September 2022 - 09:27 PM.

• BrentKnight likes this

#2802 Safetyman

Safetyman

Lift Off

• Loc: Hawaii

Posted 30 September 2022 - 09:30 PM

Had a great session last night. Got to use the parallelogram I bought off of Terra for the first time, along with a zero-gravity chair. What can I say? It was the most comfortable, and thus most relaxing, time I’ve had gazing up at the heavens.

Session began by turning my OB 20x65EDs to Lyra and it’s doubles, the Ring Nebula was tiny but visible. Then on to M31, which filled the FOV, M33, then the double cluster in Perseus. Was my first time coming across this star field and OMG my breath was taken away. The Perseus double cluster is easily my favorite DSO. The parallelogram mount made glassing so comfortable I didn’t realize I had spent over an hour on the double cluster alone.

My game has been changed. I had been thinking I was going to purchase a 70mm BT as my next tool, but now I’m leaning more towards a higher end binocular like a Maven to use with the parallelogram. Then again, my wants tend to sway here and there so I’ll probably have my eye on something else next week!

• Fiske, rlk, Armanos and 1 other like this

#2803 BrentKnight

BrentKnight

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Foley, Alabama

Posted 30 September 2022 - 11:08 PM

Last night, I viewed the waxing crescent moon in my Oberwerk 15x70 Deluxe. The moon was outstandingly sharp in these!!

Agreed!  I got my first peek tonight too.

• Fiske likes this

#2804 BrentKnight

BrentKnight

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators

Posted 01 October 2022 - 05:40 PM

Not an observation report, but perhaps a path to better observations in the future.  I decided to pull out my old Orion Paragon to try with the 15x70 Oberwerk's.  I'm going to start doing the AL Lunar program and I discovered last evening that it's pretty difficult to do it hand held.  This is my first baby steps toward a parallelogram.

20221001_173211.jpg

• Fiske and j.gardavsky like this

#2805 BrentKnight

BrentKnight

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators

Posted 02 October 2022 - 09:20 AM

Last night it was excellent seeing for my start on the AL Luna project.  The Paragon makes the whole project doable - I can't imagine trying this without something like this.  I never realized before that I could actually sit behind the tripod with my adjustable height chair - why would I have assumed I'd need to stand all evening?

The AL project has you viewing most of the larger Maria naked eye.  I was able to more or less see them when I placed an ND filter over one eye to cut the glare, but Crisium is impossible I think (or is it just glare from my glasses).  Anyway, the 15x70s make easy work of them, and they highlight so many of the brightness variations adjacent to many of them (I have never noticed Palus Somnii before and it's so obvious in the binoculars).

I was able to view all the craters up to about day 7 as the terminator was right at Cassini.  I find myself looking forward to the moon getting brighter this month - I never want that.

• Fiske, Napp and Armanos like this

#2806 Napp

Napp

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: Northeast Florida, USA

Posted 02 October 2022 - 01:20 PM

August and September in northeast Florida have been cloudy almost every night.  However, the skies have been beautifully clear since hurricane Ian moved on.  We were very fortunate here.  The worst of the storm passed to the south and then east of us but caused some bad coastal erosion and a lot of flooding in lower lying areas.  I pulled lower back muscles doing hurricane prep Thursday but a group was going last night to a dark sky site in the Osceola National Forest.  I packed light - zero gravity chair, 15X70 Oberwerk LE binoculars and ibuprofen - no heavy telescope and mount.  I can handhold the 15X70 LE's quite well.  The moon set before midnight but dropped below the tree line much earlier.  The tree line did seem thinner since the storm.  The sky was beautiful - the Milky Way showing nicely even through the moonshine.  The storm really cleaned the air with lower humidity, cooler air dropping in behind it.  It had been much earlier in the year since I needed a hoodie at night.  

My plan was to start the Astronomical League Deep Sky Binocular Observing Program.  By the time I stopped after 1:30AM I had logged 30 of the 60 objects in the program.  They included IC 4665, NGC 6633, IC 4756, NGC 6709, NGC 6716, Cr 399, NGC 6819, NGC 6823, NGC 6910, NGC 6934, NGC 6940, NGC 7063, NGC 7160, NGC 7209, NGC 7235, NGC 7243, NGC 7789, NGC 129, NGC 253, NGC 457, NGC 663, Cr463, NGC 752, Stock 2, NGC 869, NGC 884, Mark 6, Tr 2, Tr 3, and Stock 23.

It was indeed a great night and I did not notice any back pain for a while.  I did use my seat warmer on the way home.  Felt real good on my back.  grin.gif

• Erik Bakker, rlk, BrentKnight and 2 others like this

#2807 barbie

barbie

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 02 October 2022 - 09:54 PM

Sunday night, I viewed the moon with my Oberwerk 10x42 ED and was rewarded with outstanding, razor sharp and false color free views!!

Edited by barbie, 02 October 2022 - 09:59 PM.

• BrentKnight, Napp and richardmeadeiii like this

#2808 Uranotopia

Uranotopia

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Southwestern Germany and northwestern Kasakhstan (when on holidays)

Posted 03 October 2022 - 10:24 AM

Last night, as the air wasn't too cold, so I went outside with my Omegon 15x70 to watch a little... I planned to observe for a quarter of an hour or so...

Unfortunately here in Kostanay city / Kazakhstan we have some light pollution.

Jupiter with four moons were nice. Saturn, Mars not so impressing in binocular - of course.

Then I "visited" the Plejades, h & chi Persei, some more open star clusters as there were NGC 653 and 654 in Cassiopeia, M 103, M36 to M38 in Auriga. This northern region was little darker, as most light pollution and dust seems to be to the south...

Afterwards M 15 (Pegasus), M71 in Sagitta very faint, lower above horizon M13.

M27 as faint nebula, Also M57 in Lyra I could probably see as a very faint small object.

At the end I "visited" some doubles: e1,e2 Lyrae. d1,d2 Lyrae. beta Lyrae and his double, Albireo.

At last, I stayed outside for more than an hour, much longer as I had planned before, but the night air and the stars in binocular were so impressing, that I could't stop earlier!

• rlk, BrentKnight, Napp and 2 others like this

#2809 richardmeadeiii

richardmeadeiii

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Seattle, Wa

Posted 03 October 2022 - 02:20 PM

Sunday night, I viewed the moon with my Oberwerk 10x42 ED and was rewarded with outstanding, razor sharp and false color free views!!

Cool to hear the OB 10x42 ed works good for you on night sky. It or the 8x42 are on my future wish list for a comfortable hand held binocular. 

#2810 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: PA, USA, North America, Planet Earth

Posted 03 October 2022 - 03:27 PM

I looked at a grand total of one celestial object on Thursday evening, namely the cloud-obscured waxing crescent Moon, with my Canon 15x50 IS.

Attached Thumbnails

• Waxing Crescent Moon 9-29-22 PM iPhone.jpg

• rlk, BrentKnight and Thomas Marshall like this

#2811 rlk

rlk

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Salem, OR

Posted 03 October 2022 - 04:05 PM

...with my 15x70 Paragon mounted little beauty, I marveled at Orion's belt stars, and the Orion nebula while the coffee was brewing early this morning; 15x, for me, seems to be the perfect perspective for a closer look into Orion! :)

• BrentKnight, Napp, Uranotopia and 2 others like this

#2812 barbie

barbie

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 03 October 2022 - 10:17 PM

Monday night, I again viewed the moon with my Oberwerk 10x42 ED binoculars. My 8x56LW are due to arrive on Tuesday and I'll be using them to view our moon. The forecast is looking favorable the next couple of nights for observing so I'll be outside looking up!!

Edited by barbie, 03 October 2022 - 10:20 PM.

• BrentKnight and Napp like this

#2813 Uranotopia

Uranotopia

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Southwestern Germany and northwestern Kasakhstan (when on holidays)

Posted Yesterday, 02:12 AM

...with my 15x70 Paragon mounted little beauty, I marveled at Orion's belt stars, and the Orion nebula while the coffee was brewing early this morning; 15x, for me, seems to be the perfect perspective for a closer look into Orion! smile.gif

Great combination:  Orion and coffee !  waytogo.gif
I think to try this tomorrow morning!

• Safetyman likes this

#2814 Safetyman

Safetyman

Lift Off

• Loc: Hawaii

Posted Yesterday, 02:53 AM

Great combination:  Orion and coffee !  waytogo.gif
I think to try this tomorrow morning!

I wholeheartedly agree. Shall try this tomorrow morning as well!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics