•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What did you see last night in your binoculars? (Part 3)

• Please log in to reply
735 replies to this topic

#51 Astroman007

Astroman007

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Northern Ontario, Canada

Posted 13 December 2018 - 10:10 PM

Hi duck2k,

Interesting suggestion.. . as I recently moved to an apartment with better views, I have a bino for each main window facing west, east and north. I keep a small bino at the entrance of the house and one near the door to the balcony. Besides that, i have a bino at the office which is near an open -non obstructed area.

Maybe this is overkill...grin.gif

Carlos

Is each one a Zeiss?

#52 Corcaroli78

Corcaroli78

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: 55N, 9E, Denmark

Posted 14 December 2018 - 02:40 AM

Is each one a Zeiss?

Hi Astroman007, 

Almost....laugh.gif    but I only own vintage Zeiss Jena that I buy from house clearances and flea markets. I have nystagmus and wide field is a must for me. I do not get them in auctions because the hunt for them is by itself a hobby.  I do not put them in a vitrine, I enjoy them as much as i can.  Regarding new Zeiss binos....I do not have any of them....yet,    my eyes are very far to be alpha :-)

At this moment, a Zeiss DF 7x40 NVA (from the East German Army), is on its way to my home, after maintenance, i will use it for my walks in the forest as it is green :-)

I have a few other Japanese and Russian vintages but I do not have enough windows....  wait!   there is a small window in the bathroom...maybe the KOMZ 4x36 ... grin.gif

Clear bino-viewed- skies to all!!

• Mad Matt, Thomas Marshall and Astroman007 like this

#53 Mad Matt

Mad Matt

Vanguard

• Loc: Frankfurt, Germany

Posted 14 December 2018 - 03:03 AM

At this moment, a Zeiss DF 7x40 NVA (from the East German Army), is on its way to my home, after maintenance, i will use it for my walks in the forest as it is green :-)

I think there are a few of us here that would love to hear your impressions of the NVA 7x40. I have been thinking about picking one up for a while.
  • Corcaroli78 likes this

#54 Corcaroli78

Corcaroli78

Messenger

• -----

Posted 14 December 2018 - 03:58 AM

I think there are a few of us here that would love to hear your impressions of the NVA 7x40. I have been thinking about picking one up for a while.

Hi Mad Matt,

Of course, I will share my first impressions about the NVA´s in general and for astronomy. I expect they will arrive in DK next week (they come from Berlin).

One year ago, I was in Rathenow buying some spare parts for the Dekarem when the dealer showed me his personal collection: Octarems, Nobilems, Zeiss West, and of course, the 7x40 DF (porro). At that time I was looking for the 7x40 EDF (roof) but when he handled me the DF´s,  i was surprised by its robustness. they are heavy and had very relaxing views. That is what I remember back then.  I will provide a detailed report of them in the Vintage forum!

MfG / best regards!

Carlos

• Mad Matt likes this

#55 Dutch Countryman

Dutch Countryman

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Central Pennsylvania

Posted 14 December 2018 - 07:42 AM

46/P seems brighter.  Easily seen directly in 7x50s despite crummy conditions here in central PA and light pollution from neighbor's Christmas display (which he'll probably keep up until March again).

• Illinois, Corcaroli78, CAAD9 and 1 other like this

#56 ianatcn

ianatcn

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Hampshire, UK

Posted 14 December 2018 - 10:15 AM

Out to look for comet 46p/Wirtanen last night. The sky had areas of high hazy cloud but occasional clear areas of good transparency.  Weapons of choice were Vixen 2.1x42 SG and Zeiss 7x42 FL. 

As soon as there was a good clear area around Taurus I could just make out the comet with averted vision. It was a lovely sight surrounded by a rich star field through the Zeiss.  Best view though was through the Vixen which allowed the Hyades, Pleiades and comet to fit in the same field of view.  Easy to hold the comet with direct vision in the Vixen.  In fact I was surprised just how easy it became with 2.1x magnification.  As an experiment I viewed M33 which was easily seen in the Zeiss.  Through the Vixen, M33 was very similar to the naked eye view of the comet - just seen with averted vision.

It is on nights like this that the Vixen really punches above its weight in revealing vistas that are unique to this instrument.  I consider it to be money well spent!

• Erik Bakker, EverlastingSky, Illinois and 5 others like this

#57 duck2k

duck2k

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Fountain Hills, AZ

Posted 14 December 2018 - 05:26 PM

I tracked the Wirtanen Comet again last night.  I looked at it through the APM 120’s, and the 12.5 Morphs.  I did have my 10x50’s on hand too.

At 53x, the comet had the fuzzy halo, but with a little averted vision there was the little dot of light in the center.  I tracked the object with the 10x50’s for the rest of the hour session.

With the 120’s, I saw NGC 2264 (the Christmas Tree Cluster) the Cone Nebula was listed at 3.9 magnitude, but it was difficult to detect visually.  I swung over to NGC 2244, the Rosetta Star Cluster.  This is a very beautiful cluster, and another example of a young star nursery (like the Trapezium in M42).  The nebula itself is again difficult, because of the skies in my area.  It requires low power in very dark conditions.

I finished off the session with M46/47, NGC 2477, NGC 2453, and M44 (Beehive) before calling it a night.:)

• Beg, Corcaroli78, Thomas Marshall and 2 others like this

#58 Astroman007

Astroman007

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 14 December 2018 - 09:59 PM

9:00 PM to 9:35 PM local time. Sky transparency very good, seeing quite good. Temperature a pleasantly mild -3*C, high mild and refreshing winds at the beginning of the session which tapered off to a peaceful stillness by the end of the same. Bright pure white First Quarter Moon close to ruddy Mars at medium altitude in the SW sky.

I was primarily outside in order to both enjoy the fresh air of this lovely night and watch for Geminid meteors one night after the shower's peak, but for some reason I saw but three, all in the SE sky. Not one was particularly bright or noteworthy, although they were all a little slow, but not particularly so. While watching for Geminids, I roamed over the sky looking for old friends; the constellations, by eye, and DSOs, by optics.

Using my trusty 16x70s that are ever about my neck when I am out under the starry nighttime skies, I observed the Pleiades, comet 46P / Wirtanen (just visible by naked eye to the lower right of the Pleiades, would have been more easily visible if it were not for the Moonlight, big and bright through the binoculars), the Hyades, the Pirate Moon Cluster (NGC 1647), the lovely Orion Nebula M42 (of course), Orion's Sword, Orion's Belt, M78 (just barely visible), Betelgeuse, Rigel, M38, NGC 1907, M36, M37, the glorious Double Cluster overhead (NGC 869 and NGC 884), the Alpha Persei Cluster, M34, Deneb and the North America Nebula (a mere ghost of its true dark-sky self, visible best with averted vision), the Andromeda Galaxy (M31) and its two small companions (M32 and M110); the Andromeda system, located in the high SW, was somewhat washed out by the Moonlight. Next, the famous Triangulum Galaxy (M33), which was even more washed out due to its lower position in the high SSW, and thus very faint indeed. I tried for the Silver Coin in Sculptor, low in the southern sky, but the light of the Moon was simply too strong in that region of sky to allow for more than a mere possible detection of a ghost at the right spot. Lastly, that beautiful asterism known as the Engagement Ring.

A meteor-poor but relaxing, peaceful, lonely, Spring-like, beautiful night.

• Erik Bakker, Corcaroli78, ianatcn and 3 others like this

#59 duck2k

duck2k

Apollo

• -----

Posted 15 December 2018 - 12:18 AM

Cloudy tonight, but they opened up briefly in the area of Taurus.  The comet is close to Pleiades as my illustration (Sky Safari) indicates.  Great sight with the 10x50’s. Clear skies hopefully tomorrow night.

watching.gif

Attached Thumbnails

• 1374718A-054E-41C2-A235-4D32C1320232.jpeg

• Illinois, Corcaroli78, Dutch Countryman and 2 others like this

#60 Astroman007

Astroman007

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 15 December 2018 - 12:29 PM

Also last night, I observed Bode's Galaxy and the Cigar Galaxy (M81 and M82), both nice and bright in Ursa Major low in the NNE.

I remembered as soon as I woke up this morning. How could I possibly have forgotten? I must have been tired!

• Corcaroli78, duck2k, CAAD9 and 1 other like this

#61 duck2k

duck2k

Apollo

• -----

Posted 15 December 2018 - 05:08 PM

Martin, I keep forgetting to check up on those two as well.  Oh well, next clear sky I get.:)

• Astroman007 likes this

#62 MikeHC8

MikeHC8

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: San Diego

Posted 15 December 2018 - 07:03 PM

I'm using 10 by 25 right now with sky view and sky safari and having a good time.  I just came back to astronomy and just enjoying.  I like bring out my patio chair, nice jacket and picking of objects.  I have seen M31 which I feel is a good target, and enjoy it as a slow motion wreck that going to happen with out Milky Way.  I realy like Deneb and it's one my first star I goto around 6 San Diego time or RA 20 hours.  I am lucky that with my binoculars give me around 6 to 7 mag. most of the nights.  It has field of view around 6.5 which is good for me.  I plan to get larger pair but for now this works.  I also have C8 and teaching myself, and planning to join a club soon.  I am learning now with the above programs.  I watch Pleiades, with Mars and the Moon going through phases.  I have a month of observations now, and feel in a few months it will just get better.  I try to repeat each night the constellations and locating stars that I can hope to different sky objects.  I have clears sky now, but worry about the fog.  I would like some input about 7 by 50 or other binoculars which I can make the jump from 10 by 25, they are Nikons.  

• Corcaroli78, CAAD9 and Dutch Countryman like this

#63 CAAD9

CAAD9

Viking 1

• Loc: Australia

Posted 15 December 2018 - 07:48 PM

Had planned a dark sky trip last Saturday but clouded out. bawling.gif

Last Sunday evening from the driveway : thin slither of new moon and Saturn together in one fov in twilight in 18x50IS. Could actually see the rings. Very nice for a mere 3 minutes of observing.

Last Monday night in home backyard hunted down Comet 46/P. It was well past 70 degrees up for us then.  Best views in the two canon image stabilised binoculars.  Dragged the 10" dob out as well for a very good view of the core, but the fov narrows down to just 1.7* with lowest power EP. Just made me regret missing out on the dark sky trip even more. I suspect that's all I'll get to see of that Comet. Enjoy it if you get a chance.

Clouded or rained out every single night since then.  

• Corcaroli78, duck2k and Dutch Countryman like this

#64 CAAD9

CAAD9

Viking 1

• Loc: Australia

Posted 15 December 2018 - 07:50 PM

Also last night, I observed Bode's Galaxy and the Cigar Galaxy (M81 and M82), both nice and bright in Ursa Major low in the NNE.

I remembered as soon as I woke up this morning. How could I possibly have forgotten? I must have been tired!

Ah the two most northern Messiers. Always below the horizon for me.  

• Corcaroli78, Thomas Marshall and Dutch Countryman like this

#65 Astroman007

Astroman007

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 15 December 2018 - 10:02 PM

Ah the two most northern Messiers. Always below the horizon for me.  

And I don't get to see the Magellanic Clouds, the Carina Nebula, the Jewel Box Cluster...

• Corcaroli78, Thomas Marshall and Dutch Countryman like this

#66 Astroman007

Astroman007

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 15 December 2018 - 11:27 PM

10:10 PM to 10:40 PM, local time. Seeing very good, near ideal; transparency excellent. Temperature a chilly and reinvigorating -8*C. Achingly bright waxing gibbous Moon casting its bluish-white enchanted light upon the snowy earth and dominating the SW sky along with the bright and deep orange Mars in the WSW.

First I used my 16x70s on the great Wirtanen, noticeably removed from its last night's position to a spot roughly 3.5* to the lower left of the Pleiades (this figure obtained by noting how the distance between the comet and the cluster was somewhat less than that of one entire FOV of 4.0*). Only one day from its closest approach to Earth, it was large and bright through my glass despite the strong Moonlight, with a diffuse halo extending far beyond the main denser concentration of light. I visited and re-visited the comet numerous times throughout the session, after resting my eyes upon other objects and returning with a new and ever-deepening level of dark adaptation.

In between taking peeks at the comet, I observed the Sword and Belt of Orion (including the lovely Orion Nebula, M42), the Pleiades, the Hyades, Bode's Galaxy and the Cigar Galaxy (M81 and M82), Mars, the Moon briefly behind a filtering spray of bare branches, and glorious Sirius, that queen of stars, scintillating, flashing, exuding countless different and intense kaleidoscoping colors at its low elevation in the SE. But I mainly opted to take in the perfection of the sky by naked eye alone, lulled into a relaxed contentment by the smooth sounds of the transports on the distant highway, the distant bark of a dog, the crisp and refreshing wholesome night air, the delightful cool. At one point, overwhelmed by the sheer grandeur of the night, I dropped my binoculars upon my chest (facing the SE from horizon to zenith), threw back my head, outstretched my arms, and simply drowned for a few minutes' time in the indescribable visual splendors of the principal great winter constellations: Canis Major, Orion, Gemini, Taurus, Auriga, Perseus; an electrical sensation running through my arms from my fingertips into my body as I channeled into my heart the powerful celestial energies of the bright stars and mythical figures. Perhaps such was purely psychological, but it was no less experienced, and but points the intense power of pure beauty upon the human soul. Before I knew it, my designated half-hour of time under the stars had ended, leaving me wondering where the time had gone.

A deeply satisfying and inspiring night.

Edited by Astroman007, 15 December 2018 - 11:32 PM.

• Corcaroli78, duck2k, ERHAD and 2 others like this

#67 Thomas Marshall

Thomas Marshall

Messenger

• Loc: Spring Valley AZ.

Posted 16 December 2018 - 04:29 AM

This am was pretty good. I waited until the moon had set and then went out for near an hour.  Comet Wirtanen was naked eye visible, and much brighter core with big wide lesser glow in 15x70's binoc's. Very near M45, which was way cool. I looked around Eridanus and Orion a bit. Could NOT split Rigel, though I tried, as someone else said they could. M41, M67, M47, M46, and Cluster inside the Rossette were all real good. The double cluster was great, another cluster nearby I can't be sure of ID. One of the Leo Trio was evident, but I couldn't get all 3. The BeeHive was easy/naked eye and real good in 15x70's, and M67 good in bino's also.  Carolines Rose I looked at easy, but I need more power to bring out the individual stars in this big patch of light. Other clusters in Perseus and Cassiopia were evident but not memorized by me to number or name. Kemble's Cascade was a treat, and the Garnet Star, and M81/M82 also. I could not be positive about seeing M101, but the Whirlpool/M51 was identifiable though lower in the sky. M101 needed a little more elevation, for this fainter galaxy to show through. My main goal, was to be positive on Wirtanen as a naked eye sighting, and that was done first off, so I'm a "Happy Camper". I also saw 2 very bright meteors, - naked eye, that were pretty impressive.   

• Corcaroli78, Dutch Countryman, Astroman007 and 1 other like this

#68 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Netherlands, Europe

Posted 16 December 2018 - 05:03 AM

Had a nice view of comet 46/P Wirtanen. Skies were so so, with moist and some veil and the first quarter moon.

In the 8x30's, the comet and Pleiades were beautifully framed, whereas the 10x56 put up a brighter and better view of the comet, with M45 just barely fitting into the same field. The 18x70 did bring in more light and detail, but under these conditions I preferred the views of the smaller instruments. This night, the FL 10x56 was my number 1 choice for 46/P Wirtanen. We'll see how it goes on a better night with clearer and darker skies.

• Illinois, jdown, Corcaroli78 and 4 others like this

#69 Illinois

Illinois

Gemini

• Loc: near Dixon, Illinois USA

Posted 16 December 2018 - 07:51 AM

Last night, I can see M45 and Comet in the same view in my 10X50 binocular. Nice view!

Attached Thumbnails

• 96C6DDF0-81CC-4F77-9FF3-32FE008144BE.jpeg

• Erik Bakker, Corcaroli78, Thomas Marshall and 8 others like this

#70 Binosaurus

Binosaurus

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Northern Illinois (by Chicago)

Posted 16 December 2018 - 09:58 AM

Last night was the first time I took the binos to the sky in I don't know how long! Life's gotten busier, I guess. We also had a ridiculous mosquito infestation toward the end of this summer that pretty much killed my desire to spend any time outdoors at night except in deep winter. But along the way, I've kept looking at the sky with the naked eye and following lunar phases.

At any rate, noticed a bright red star by the moon last night on the way home and knew it had to be Mars. We don't get many clear nights in the winter in Illinois, so I decided it was time to bring the telescope out of retirement. Got to show the kids the moon and got to see Mars for myself, although I couldn't make out any details besides the fact that it was gibbous (which itself was pretty neat, as I didn't know the outer planets could visibly appear that way).

OK, bino part. Saw Mars, of course, but took the laptop out and with Stellarium was able to star hop to both Neptune and Uranus. I'm not sure if I've ever seen Uranus before, and I definitely had never seen Neptune, so it was pretty neat to find both. Neptune was actually easier to find than Uranus due to it being relatively close to Mars, although it was much harder to see; had to use averted vision the entire time, and per Stellarium, it's around 7.9 mag. I suppose the nearby turbo moon made it harder than it otherwise would have been. But overall, great night! I'll keep an eye out for more clear nights this winter.

• jdown, Corcaroli78, Thomas Marshall and 5 others like this

#71 Corcaroli78

Corcaroli78

Messenger

• -----

Posted 17 December 2018 - 03:34 AM

Martin, I keep forgetting to check up on those two as well.  Oh well, next clear sky I get.smile.gif

Hi,

Same here. For some reason these two galaxies are very always elusive to me. With telescope or binoculars i really suffer to find them!  I took me many nights to find them with the 10x50s, but now i know the reason is that here,  they are almost at the zenith, so the neck and the arms forced me to make several pauses, thus loosing the concentration and dark adaptation.

• duck2k likes this

#72 Corcaroli78

Corcaroli78

Messenger

• -----

Posted 17 December 2018 - 03:41 AM

I'm using 10 by 25 right now with sky view and sky safari and having a good time.  I just came back to astronomy and just enjoying.  I like bring out my patio chair, nice jacket and picking of objects.  I have seen M31 which I feel is a good target, and enjoy it as a slow motion wreck that going to happen with out Milky Way.  I realy like Deneb and it's one my first star I goto around 6 San Diego time or RA 20 hours.  I am lucky that with my binoculars give me around 6 to 7 mag. most of the nights.  It has field of view around 6.5 which is good for me.  I plan to get larger pair but for now this works.  I also have C8 and teaching myself, and planning to join a club soon.  I am learning now with the above programs.  I watch Pleiades, with Mars and the Moon going through phases.  I have a month of observations now, and feel in a few months it will just get better.  I try to repeat each night the constellations and locating stars that I can hope to different sky objects.  I have clears sky now, but worry about the fog.  I would like some input about 7 by 50 or other binoculars which I can make the jump from 10 by 25, they are Nikons.  

Welcome Mike,

My personal recommendation would be a 10x50. No other binoculars give me the right balance of detail, weight, FOV  and pleasure to use. Nikon has nice models in that size.  With the time, you will get more binoculars for sure!

Carlos

#73 Corcaroli78

Corcaroli78

Messenger

• -----

Posted 17 December 2018 - 03:46 AM

And I don't get to see the Magellanic Clouds, the Carina Nebula, the Jewel Box Cluster...

I would happily exchange 5 years of M81 /M82 observation for a pair of nights observing of Eta Carinae, Crux, the Magellanic clouds with any binoculars....

• CAAD9, Dutch Countryman and Astroman007 like this

#74 Corcaroli78

Corcaroli78

Messenger

• -----

Posted 17 December 2018 - 05:03 AM

Weather has been cold, windy and cloudy here in Denmark, but coming back home I saw the Moon against a clear sky, so i decided to make some time from a binocular observation from the balcony.  My aim was to observe the 46/P/ Wirtanen.  I started with the Skymasters 15x70. I panned through the Hyades to check the focusing, then moving to the Pleiades to pay my winter observation toll and then I look for the comet...  I did not found it despite the good transparency. I decided to go lower in magnification and I took the Zeiss 10x50 and voila! the comet was there!!  In my view it was slightly brighter than 3 days ago, but certainly an easy target with the right exit pupil. I tried again with the 15x70s and the view was not satisfactory.  I was surprised how much is the influence of a 5 mm vs a 4.6 mm exit pupil. In the 10x50, all was brighter, while in the 15x70 a little bit darker despite the extra aperture. 

Well, taking advantage of the night,  I did some shoots with the D90 and a 50 mm lens. Disclaimer:  I am not in astrophotography, but I wanted to keep a postcard of this comet.  My apologies for the quality of the picture. It is my first photo of a comet ever.

Clear -binoviewed- skies to all!!

Carlos

Attached Thumbnails

• 46P_1.jpg

• Mad Matt, Erik Bakker, Thomas Marshall and 4 others like this

#75 chrysalis

chrysalis

Hubble

• Loc: North Central NC

Posted 17 December 2018 - 05:21 AM

I too saw Wirtanen in my 7 x 35s and 10 x 50s. Quite diffuse, certainly not naked eye, at least from here with the just-past-quarter Moon flooding the sky with light!

• Corcaroli78, Dutch Countryman and StarDustBin like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics