•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Help to identify what I see (or not see) in Andromeda, PVS-7 prime focus

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 DMala

DMala

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 09 December 2018 - 12:25 PM

After solving some focus problems with my Galaxy S5 and the Snap Camera app, I took some HDR pics of Andromeda. Due to sub-freezing temps, I kept things simple and I had my Televue 70mm F6.8 refractor on an altaz mount. Picture specs: ISO 1600, 1/10", average of seven shots in HDR night mode (I presume this means that seven 1/10" pics were averaged into one image, but I have not yet found documentation to explain the final exposure values of the HDR mode of this app). Filter was the DGM NPB nebula filter. PVS-7 in prime focus mode with MX-10130D/UV tube, contract W9124Q-05-D-0821.  The Andromeda picture below is the original HDR image flipped R-L to eliminate the diagonal's inversion and cropped to meet attachment requirements. No other processing.

On Stellarium I see that M32 (one of the two tiny galaxies next to Andromeda) is positioned with nearby stars HIP 3293 and HIP 3494 in a right triangle shape. Nu Andromedae  is further above.

In my pic I seem to see a match with these objects (and others that I am not mentioning here). However M110 (the other small galaxy on the other side of Andromeda) is not clearly visible.

Can anyone comment if it is correct to presume that M32 is visible in my pic? If you click on the image it blows up a bit. Thx 

Attached Thumbnails

• Andromeda_Stellarium_7 Dec 2018 23_30h.JPG
  • IMG_20181207_232417_Flipped L_R _Edited in Corel_a.jpg

Edited by DMala, 09 December 2018 - 12:27 PM.

#2 starblue

starblue

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Austin, TX, USA

Posted 09 December 2018 - 02:07 PM

Your photo is misoriented plus at the wrong scale. Try this:

Attached Thumbnails

• t1.jpg

• DMala likes this

#3 DMala

DMala

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 09 December 2018 - 02:26 PM

Yes! Thank you so much. Later I will revise the pic and post it. So then also M110 is there?

#4 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Voyager 1

• Loc: Bornholm, Denmark

Posted 09 December 2018 - 03:31 PM

Yes! Thank you so much. Later I will revise the pic and post it. So then also M110 is there?

M110 is outside the picture frame.

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

• DMala likes this

#5 DMala

DMala

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 09 December 2018 - 05:41 PM

OK did I get it now? To remove the flipping due to the diagonal, in Corel Paintshop Pro I now flipped the original pic vertically, instead of laterally as I did before. I did not alter the scale and orientation of the original pic, but adding the text and arrows in paint made the image more grainy than it was originally. 

This seems to me that matches Starblue's suggestion and Stellarium but it is obvious that my matches are not so hot!  Anyhow I am amazed at the amount of info that I can gather with the PVS-7.

And thanks so much for the help.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20181207_232417_Flipped Vertically in Corel.jpg

Edited by DMala, 09 December 2018 - 05:43 PM.

#6 starblue

starblue

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 09 December 2018 - 10:53 PM

No, you still don't have it. I've overlaid your map on your photo to show where M110 is; its position is (just barely) inside the picture's framing, but you didn't record it--either the NV device's tube isn't as sensitive near its edges or there's vignetting. Also, the tube's optics aren't fully rectilinear--I had to contort your map to kinda fit the photo and even then they still don't quite align, but I'm calling it good enough. (If you're on a computer, resize the browser so the 2 photos sit side-by-side, and it should be more obvious how things line up.)

Attached Thumbnails

• m110_map.jpg
  • m110_photo.jpg

• DMala likes this

#7 DMala

DMala

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 10 December 2018 - 11:49 AM

Thanks for helping again, I really appreciate it. It looks like I have to build up my skills on how to superimpose a pic to a map.

To come up with my revised estimate above, with a divider I measured the distance between HIP 3293 and HIP 3494 on the Stellarium printout, and used it as a unit to roughly estimate the distance between HIP 3293 and M110  (slightly over 2 times the HIP3293-3494 distance). Going back now, I see that I made a mistake and the expected location should be where you (and Astrojensen) pointed to.

I will go back to check other pics of the area that I took, to see if I have any other good pic better centered around the possible M110 location.

Regarding the distortion towards the edge, I am not surprised considering that it was a cell phone lens rather precariously (and not really evenly, probably) affixed to the PVS-7 eyepiece. I am aware that I am using an entry level setup, but still I find it interesting to try to squeeze out of it as much as I can..... and this also shows that my NV setup still exceeds my own ability to fully use it, proving it was a good choice to get started with.

#8 DMala

DMala

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 10 December 2018 - 10:56 PM

Now? I tried to maintain the orientation of starblue's explanation and to reproduce his star hopping path. This also was a 0.1" ISO 1600 HDR composite shot.

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20181207_230822. Flipped Vertically Cropped Rotated.jpg

#9 starblue

starblue

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 10 December 2018 - 11:18 PM

Looks good.

• DMala likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics