•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Upgrading to a Meade DSI 4?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#26 skyler

skyler

Surveyor 1

• Loc: TGPNW

Posted 22 June 2019 - 12:10 PM

I promise I will let you know.  I also wondered what you thought of any "banding" in images. Not sure if you see it or not but if you look up banding issues especially in a post in QHYCCD QHY163M (mono version) you will see what I mean.

You seemed to clear it all up in the M27 photo (through post processing?) since there is no hint of it there.

https://www.qhyccd.c...g33158#msg33158

Edited by skyler, 22 June 2019 - 10:03 PM.

#27 Paul AZ

Paul AZ

Explorer 1

• Loc: AZ

Posted 23 June 2019 - 10:19 AM

I promise I will let you know.  I also wondered what you thought of any "banding" in images. Not sure if you see it or not but if you look up banding issues especially in a post in QHYCCD QHY163M (mono version) you will see what I mean.

You seemed to clear it all up in the M27 photo (through post processing?) since there is no hint of it there.

https://www.qhyccd.c...g33158#msg33158

Here is a single frame of the Dumbbell Nebula. It is a 1 min exposure. I don't see any banding. I did have the temp at 32 F.

Attached Thumbnails

• DumbbellNebula_singleFrame_1min.jpg

Edited by Paul AZ, 23 June 2019 - 10:22 AM.

#28 skyler

skyler

Surveyor 1

Posted 23 June 2019 - 01:36 PM

Did you see anything in the stretched/unstretche bias frames?

#29 Paul AZ

Paul AZ

Explorer 1

Posted 23 June 2019 - 07:19 PM

In the stretched stacked image you can see a bit of it in the last two photos I posted of the Eagle Nebula and Trifid Nebula. For those two I did not run through the astro flats pro tool. So I think there is a slight band across top ir bottom but when run through the astro flats it would get cleanwd up.

#30 skyler

skyler

Surveyor 1

Posted 23 June 2019 - 07:46 PM

Thanks for offering the info. I did see that in those frames but am wondering just as discussed in the QHY discussion if it is in those bias frames. There is an interesting note in the following about finding a partial fix in the ASCOM dialogue box. I don't use SGP (yet) nor have the camera but maybe it can be useful to you or others.  Also I have not received the information regarding the beta ASCOM file from Meade but I am hopeful for a reply. I think the beta driver resides in the primary setup file but you have to have the right one since it probably has the same name unless you can differentiate it from version 1.0.

I think I gather that this is the particular beta driver or application name where is resides:  ASCOMMEadeCamSetup

This is the other information I mentioned above regarding the ASCOM dialogue box working with SGP:  https://www.qhyccd.c...hp?topic=5877.0

Edited by skyler, 23 June 2019 - 08:09 PM.

• turchinc likes this

#31 turchinc

turchinc

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 15 September 2019 - 04:17 AM

Did anyone ever get updated (beta) drivers for dsi-iv? I'm at my wit's end with it, it has some critical, utterly broken detail that is a deal breaker for productive imaging in every software I've tried (apt, sgpro, sharpcam). Crashes on temperature sensor, properties window not working, crashes in ascom diagnostics program, recording random white noise (based on the histogram), laughably poor service, etc. Hoping to avoid buying a second OSC camera within a year, but slowly resigning to it. It has made AP -already a challenge- no fun at all. 

Edited by turchinc, 15 September 2019 - 04:22 AM.

#32 Paul AZ

Paul AZ

Explorer 1

Posted 15 September 2019 - 10:33 PM

I have not but then again I decided to stick with the capture software Meade provided. I have separate software for focuser etc. I have not been outside to image anything since my sabbatical ended but hope to get back outside again soon. Just too busy.

#33 skyler

skyler

Surveyor 1

Posted 16 September 2019 - 02:32 PM

This is after the fact...so sorry I was not back here to reply sooner. I returned the DSIIV but it was a tough call and not due to any particular make or break issues. It worked fine and actually quite well compared to the QHY offering.  The drivers on their site was what I used on a few years older I5 Windows Pro laptop. They worked without a hitch first time so I assumed those were the updated ones if I remember correctly. The disk that came with it was cracked so I could not use it anyway so that led me to their website. It actually cooled better than the QHY by about 10 deg C according to SGP which was what I primarily use. The only oddity was that on one session, it took a couple white 1/4" long bands at the top of an image but it may have been a communication issue with SGP since once in a long while when taking more than maybe 10 min worth of focus images, SGP would become unresponsive and a close/restart program was necessary. This never happened, though, in actual imaging sessions. I felt the images were slightly less noisy than the 163m in the mono Ha images  I saw. The other thing I liked was the build quality as it was more robust than the 163m but you paid for that in more weight and size. Given the price point and even getting a pelican style case with it, I would not hesitate to go with the DSIIV for that price point.

Skyler

#34 Crash99

Crash99

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: SF Bay Area, CA

Posted 16 September 2019 - 05:24 PM

So back in December I first posted on this topic having just received a color DSI-IV to find out it did not support Mac OSX despite the information on the website as well as the box. None of the PC laptops available to me would run the software either.

Well guess what. Nine months later, still no Mac software....

I spent $1k on this camera to use with my students and it took exactly zero pictures. Because it was paid for by a grant I can't get the money back nor can I legally sell it.

According to the Meade website:

"Note: Development for Mac OS X compatibility is in progress. Access the latest updates from the SkyCapture Software Downloads in the Support tab."

How long do I have to hold my breath before something happens??

Has anyone found software that will operate this thing using Mac software? Nebulosity didn't work; Astroimager didn't work. The last thing I want to do is to buy another laptop (I already have two MacBook Pros)  just to run this POS...

Help!

Thanks for any advice.

-TC

#35 Eyeheartmono

Eyeheartmono

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 26 September 2019 - 11:01 AM

Also purchased a DSI-IV, APT works well other then accessing the camera settings and sharp cap works.

SGP does not work. I contacted Meade about it and they had no idea what Sequence Generator Pro was but they assured me it was ASCOM compliant.

#36 jgraham

jgraham

ISS

• Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 26 September 2019 - 11:16 AM

You might contact Craig Stark at Stark Labs to see if he has any suggestions. He has developed some very nice software that runs under Windows and MacOS. As for Meade, I'd consider pestering them regularly. Try the squeaky wheel approach.

#37 Eyeheartmono

Eyeheartmono

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 26 September 2019 - 01:35 PM

Anyone get DSI-IV working with SGP with temp control working and gain controls?

#38 turchinc

turchinc

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 13 October 2019 - 03:33 PM

sharpcap2

Do that histogram (DSI-IV in SharpCap) look off to anyone?

The red channel in particular seems "wobbly" - I tried re-connecting cables but stays that way.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics