•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Cool Cats and Careless Claims

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#26 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 14 December 2018 - 01:19 PM

Yes Mike, dry ice would be immeasurably more difficult for all the reasons you list: as we do quite a lot of imaging away from home usually (not so much this year btw) we can stop at any hotel & get crushed ice, anywhere...& we keep a store of salt, but any supermarket/grocery store in any small town stocks it also - the same ones that have hotels & ice. :) 

Dry ice would be way overkill also, something at nearly -80°C being totally ott... ;) 

Even if it wasn't, we'd have to watch how tight we closed the necks of those double-bags if they held dry ice...I can just see it sublimating into CO2 & the bags expanding ridiculously & suddenly exploding..! bigshock.gif :lol:

• Sarkikos likes this

#27 Peter Besenbruch

Peter Besenbruch

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Oahu

Posted 14 December 2018 - 03:26 PM

Would dry ice (solid CO2) be more efficient?  Probably a lot more difficult to acquire, set up and maintain than salted H2O ice.

Liquid nitrogen would be still more efficient. Besides, I can't remember these complex molecular codes. The atomic symbol for Nitrogen is about as complex as I can get.

• Sarkikos likes this

#28 Conaxian

Conaxian

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Smalltown, South western Ohio

Posted 14 December 2018 - 03:44 PM

When the tundra is frozen and the mercury is diving and it all gets to be too much, there's always the good little refractor.

Plop it down, come back in a half hour and rock them stars til it frosts up, call it a night and be happy you got to see anything at all.  Remember that old Galileo himself would have killed for an Orion 80.

• Sarkikos and Deepskyclusterstruck like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics