•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Ordered the Nikon 7x35 E today

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
38 replies to this topic

#1 Swedpat

Swedpat

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 15 May 2006 - 02:33 PM

A large camera dealer in Sweden have been offering some bargains of discontinued binoculars this spring. I found the Nikon 7x35 E CF for less than half of the normal prize. The normal prize has in Sweden been above 3000 SEK (about 400$) but the current prize was 1395 SEK (about 190 $). I asked if it was a used one, but the dealer said that it was new.

I have tried the 7x35 E some years ago, and if I recall right this model provides adequate eye relief with eyeglasses for me. The FOV isn't wide as the cheaper Action models (7,3 deg) but the optical performance shall be better.

What I have read it's a great binocular. If I next week would find the ER to not be adequate for me (I have changed eyeglasses and it's some years ago I tried it so I don't know if I today will perceive the ER the same), I can sell it for nearly the same prize I bought it, so it will in any case not be a loss for me. I will in any case be one experience richer...but I hope it will fully satisfy me!

Regards, Patric

#2 Rich V.

Rich V.

Cosmos

Posted 15 May 2006 - 07:01 PM

Patric,

Congratulations on your new acquisition! The 7x35E is a very good glass. Hopefully it is one of the newer models (later '80s) with FMC glass. I have an '83 7x35E and it is not FMC but still surprisingly bright. The FOV may be a bit more than the spec. 7.3°; Henry Link measured it at around 53° AFOV if I recall correctly, making it more like 7.5+°. The optics are the equal of some much higher priced glass. Eye relief is quite long, long enough that it has the same "blackout" effect that the current SE line is reported to have. No big deal, just that eye placement is a bit sensitive. Anyhow, for the 23 years I've had mine it has proved to be a fine glass and it still gets regular use.

The 8x and 10x EII glasses I use mostly now are still very similar to the old E series; some parts don't look like they have changed at all! Though the EIIs have shorter eye relief and smaller exit pupils, they are a bit easier for me to get the proper eye position compared to the 7x35E. I don't wear eyeglasses when viewing though, so YMMV.

One of the fine points of the 7x35E is that the FOV is sharp almost all the way out to the field stop, making it nearly all usable. The 5mm EP makes it a pretty good 7x astro binocular as well; good enough that I found no reason to keep my Swift Skipper 7x50. The light 21oz. weight of the E was a consideration as well. ;)

Enjoy,

Rich V

#3 Swedpat

Swedpat

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 15 May 2006 - 07:43 PM

Rich!

Nice you deal your impression, I will report my impression when I receive the binocular! I don't know the age of this binocular, but if it's unused it OUGHT to be one of the newer versions. I think this model is out of production some years now...

Today I studied an old brochure of Nikon binoculars (I have quite good collection of binocular brochures since 15 years ago) and could notice that the 7x35 belongs to the high-grade-section...

Regards, Patric

#4 Steve Napier

Steve Napier

Surveyor 1

Posted 16 May 2006 - 08:47 AM

Congratulations Patric,Im looking forward to your thoughts on this little beauty.
Steve.

#5 Swedpat

Swedpat

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 16 May 2006 - 10:23 AM

Thanks, Steve! It will be very interesting, because I have some binoculars to compare with.

Patric

#6 brocknroller

brocknroller

Surveyor 1

Posted 17 May 2006 - 12:46 AM

Patric,

Congratulations! on a rare find at a nice price. I owned a 7x35 E a few years ago. I think it had the purple-bluish coatings (not FMC), but still gave very sharp views.

I really liked it for stargazing, but for birding, I found the AFOV too "tight" for my comfort level.

I then bought a Nikon 10x35 E2, which has a 7* FOV and good edges, but a much wider apparent FOV (70*). The open views were more to my liking, and the 10x brought out more detail on the night sky. Plus, the smaller exit pupil gave better contrast under my moderately light polluted skies. The 10 ft. close focus also made them useful for birding, and the partial rubber armoring was easier to grip.

The 7x35 E showed some "pebbling" in the views. The new owner didn't see it, so perhaps it was my eyes! However, I also noticed this pebbling with the 10x35 E2, though to a lesser degree, but not in any other binoculars I've owned.

Keep in mind that I'm very picky (right, Steve M.? :-).

If you find the FOV acceptable, and only pebbles you see are on the vinyl covering, you should be very happy with the bins. They are one of the best 7x35 binoculars ever made. Enjoy!

#7 Swedpat

Swedpat

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 17 May 2006 - 09:01 AM

That sounds good Brocknroller!
I think it will arrive this week to the post office, but unfortunately I have to wait to the salary next week before I get it...

Patric

#8 Steve Napier

Steve Napier

Surveyor 1

Posted 18 May 2006 - 10:46 AM

What is this "Pebbling"?
Thankyou,
Steve.

#9 mooreorless

mooreorless

Just worried

Posted 18 May 2006 - 11:10 AM

Patric,

Congratulations! on a rare find at a nice price. I owned a 7x35 E a few years ago. I think it had the purple-bluish coatings (not FMC), but still gave very sharp views.

I really liked it for stargazing, but for birding, I found the AFOV too "tight" for my comfort level.

I then bought a Nikon 10x35 E2, which has a 7* FOV and good edges, but a much wider apparent FOV (70*). The open views were more to my liking, and the 10x brought out more detail on the night sky. Plus, the smaller exit pupil gave better contrast under my moderately light polluted skies. The 10 ft. close focus also made them useful for birding, and the partial rubber armoring was easier to grip.

The 7x35 E showed some "pebbling" in the views. The new owner didn't see it, so perhaps it was my eyes! However, I also noticed this pebbling with the 10x35 E2, though to a lesser degree, but not in any other binoculars I've owned.

Keep in mind that I'm very picky (right, Steve M.? :-).

If you find the FOV acceptable, and only pebbles you see are on the vinyl covering, you should be very happy with the bins. They are one of the best 7x35 binoculars ever made. Enjoy!

Brock,Yea I would like to know also what this pebbling is?Yes, Brock you are picky!!! :lol:
Steve

#10 Rich V.

Rich V.

Cosmos

Posted 18 May 2006 - 07:52 PM

Brock,Yea I would like to know also what this pebbling is?

Me too; that's a new one to me! Sounds like some kind of lumps in the image........ :confused:

Rich V

#11 Steve Napier

Steve Napier

Surveyor 1

Posted 19 May 2006 - 08:12 AM

Is it similiar to "Cobbling"?
Do I HATE cobbles.
Steve.

#12 brocknroller

brocknroller

Surveyor 1

Posted 19 May 2006 - 10:32 AM

Y0U MEAN THAT "PEBB1ING" ISN'T THE C0RRECT TECHNICA1 TERMIN01GY? :-)

KEYB0ARD 0N THE FRITZ, HENCE THE CAPS AND A1PHA-NUMERIC PR0SE

I WAS G0ING T0 SAY "SP0TS" BUT THEN KENNY W0U1D HAVE SAID I WAS SEEING SP0TS BEF0RE MY EYES

THEY 100KED 1IKE SP0TS A DIRTY WINDSHIE1D EXCEPT UNIF0RM1Y DISTRIBUTED

I CHECKED THE 1ENSES CAREFU11Y, N0 VISIB1E MARKS

DIDN'T SEE THIS WITH THE 8X30 E2, BUT I 0N1Y USED IT IN MY W00DED BACKYARD WHERE THE SUN1IGHT IS FI1TERED THR0UGH THE TREES

THE "PEBB1ING" IS 0N1Y APPARENT IN BRIGHT SUN1IGHT 0R AGAINST THE SKY, H0WEVER, I D0N'T THINK IT'S DUE T0 F1ARING 0R REF1ECTI0NS

#13 Mark9473

Mark9473

Voyager 1

Posted 19 May 2006 - 01:25 PM

Brock, in very bright sunlight what I sometimes have when looking at a bright sky background, is what I would describe as 'small wriggling worms' packed all over the field. I think of this as the physiological equivalent of detector noise. I only get it when the view is so bright it's almost uncomfortable, like my iris won't close sufficiently to bring the light level within spec.

Could this be what you're describing? Given your keyboard, a simple yes or no will suffice :)

#14 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

Posted 19 May 2006 - 01:42 PM

< Given your keyboard, a simple yes or no will suffice >

L.O.F.L.M.A.O :-) :-) :-)

Kenny

#15 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

Posted 19 May 2006 - 02:03 PM

Patric ,

Congratulations on a good choice !

One of my older brothers has had one of these for YEARS , and it is a very good , no - nonsense , all round binocular .

With regard to this pebbling Brock describes , we in this neck of the woods tend to refer to it as STONING .

Occasionally , when we were younger , my brother and I noticed a definite STONED view through his Nikon 7 x 35 E , most memorably at a Bob Dylan concert at Earl's Court London in the 1970s , the same night , incidentally , on which my Telstar 10 x 50 became the only one of it's kind to have one round and one oval objective housing :-)

Eagle - eyed observers will still be able to see that distinct " bump " on the " WELL BALANCED " photo I posted to this forum a couple of weeks ago !

Regards , Kenny

#16 Swedpat

Swedpat

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 19 May 2006 - 02:38 PM

Thank you Kenny, and welcome back! When you are away it really feels that something missing...

Next week I will get the binocular and it will be a very interesting moment to try it!

Regards, Patric

#17 brocknroller

brocknroller

Surveyor 1

Posted 19 May 2006 - 09:12 PM

Kenny,

Welcome back from your short hiatus (hernia). I once got "stoned" views at a Dylan concert too. The opening act was Phil Lesh, member of the Grateful Dead. Lesh drew hundreds of twentysomething hippie wannabes, with dreadlocks and tie-died shirts, to the university concert (seating capacity is 90K). Management decided to take out the orchestra seats and turn the space into a "mash pit". Instead of general admission tickets, they gave students armbands, and locked the doors to the arena so they couldn't go in the parking lot and drink alcohol and exchange armbands with other students.

Their strategy backfired since the students brought joints to the concert and smoked them in the mash pit. Security couldn't stop them w/out getting mashed to death, so they let them smoke even though it's against the law to smoke (anything) in any building on campus.

The cigarette smokers in the audience, who would normally go outside for a smoke during the breaks, started smoking too since they were also locked-in, and the combined cacinogens and hallucinogens ended up in the balcony where I was sitting. I have asthma so I was suffocating, but since I was high, I didn't care.

I brought my eyestrainer Tasco 8x20 FULLY COATED Model 502 porros, but with the smoke, I couldn't see the person two seats next to me let alone the tiny figure of Dylan croaking out alternate phrased versions of his greatest hits. After I passed out, the bins dropped off the railing and into the mash pit where they were trampled out of collimation by hundreds of stomping sandals and remain so today.

Mark,

I know what you mean about 'small wriggling worms', I see that outside sometimes and think it's raining out even when it's not. I agree with your theory about it being eye "noise".
But that's not the "pebbling", I see it only in the E and E2. It's in the optics somewhere. Since both 10x35 E2 samples were "like new", I can't blame it on dust or fungus in the 7x35 E. I call them MYSTER-E PEBBLES.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They'll stone ya when you're at the Dylan gig,
They'll stone ya when you're hands are long and big,
They'll stone ya when you're tryin' to see the singer,
They'll stone ya and then flip the finger,
Tell ya Kenny, I would not feel so all alone,
Everybody must get stoned.

#18 ngc6475

ngc6475

Fearless Spectator

Posted 19 May 2006 - 09:35 PM

"They'll stone ya when you're at the Dylan gig,
They'll stone ya when you're hands are long and big,
They'll stone ya when you're tryin' to see the singer,
They'll stone ya and then flip the finger,
Tell ya Kenny, I would not feel so all alone,
Everybody must get stoned."

Hey! Them's not the lyrics! What gives?

#19 Steve Napier

Steve Napier

Surveyor 1

Posted 20 May 2006 - 03:33 AM

The "thing" that has been missing Patric is, "RANK STUPIDITY" but,I suppose it"s good to have Kenny back,sort of.
Steve.

#20 Marko F.

Marko F.

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 20 May 2006 - 10:41 AM

Are these "pebbles" everyone is talking about stationary or do they move when you move your eyes?

#21 Rich V.

Rich V.

Cosmos

Posted 20 May 2006 - 11:33 AM

Methinks these "pebbles" are all in the mind!! ;) Against a blue sky any binocular will show "pebbles" in my experience.

Rich V

#22 Marko F.

Marko F.

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 20 May 2006 - 11:47 AM

They're not necessarily all in the mind. Or in the binocular.
I would suggest they are eye floaters, i.e. small clumps of cells floating inside your eye. They cast a shadow on the retina when you view something against a bright background.

#23 Rich V.

Rich V.

Cosmos

Posted 20 May 2006 - 01:27 PM

Hi, Marco,

Yes, floaters are another factor though they are fewer and farther between.

I'm talking about a mottled effect I see against a blue sky, not only through binoculars but without as well. I'm sure it is some neural/optical artifact, but I've seen it all my life!

I remember lying on the lawn and staring into the blue sky when I was a kid, and seeing a kind of kaleidoscopic mottling effect. More a "brain" kind of thing, I suppose, a "detector noise" as Mark put it.

Rich V

#24 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

Posted 20 May 2006 - 01:47 PM

I must confess to having seen no more of this pebbling , either through naked eyes or binoculars , than I have images of orchestral conductors of classical music in shadows of binoculars caused by sunlight .

What I consider to be " visual pebbling " is what I see through the windscreen of certain motor vehicles which have vinyl dashboards .

But I HAVE experienced what I can only describe as " The Sound Of Silence " -- a very eerie sound which I heard when out on a fishing boat on a very calm sea off the south coast of Australia in the early hours of the morning .

Kenny

#25 Marko F.

Marko F.

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 21 May 2006 - 01:12 AM

I remember lying on the lawn and staring into the blue sky when I was a kid, and seeing a kind of kaleidoscopic mottling effect. More a "brain" kind of thing, I suppose, a "detector noise" as Mark put it.

Rich V

I guess our vision can "do tricks" under certain circumstances. I may also have experienced what you describe, I have a faint memory of something like that. But seeing floaters happens frequently to me.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics