•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Pixinsight Blink image order control?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 rms40

rms40

Messenger

• topic starter
  • Loc: NW of Harper, TX

Posted 11 December 2018 - 10:36 AM

I have finally started using Pixinsight. I always start off with Blink for my images to examine them and throw out the obviously poor ones before using Subframe Selector script. Recently, I have had a dew and frost problem. I want to put the images into time order so I can see when dew/frost becomes a problem and throw out the rest of the images. (I have another post about using a dew strap)

How do I order the images in Blink by time/date? I have tried sorting by date in the open image dialog but they still come out in seemingly random order. How does Blink determine the order?

Thanks, Randall

• josh smith likes this

#2 CharlesW

CharlesW

Long time member

• ***--
  • Loc: Chula Vista, CA

Posted 11 December 2018 - 03:35 PM

I’m traveling now so I can’t play with Blink but it probably just loads them in file name order. That should also, as it turns out, be in time order. You may not have noticed this, but I have better stretches if I do L by itself, then lump RGB together, then H by itself, followed by O and S together. And if you are discarding a fair number, it works better to start with the last image and go backwards. 

#3 D_talley

D_talley

Gemini

• Loc: Albuquerque, New Mexico

Posted 11 December 2018 - 04:08 PM

I have also noticed that loading numbered files does not put them in order. File1, File10, File11 comes before File2, File3.  I would like to know how to order them by time as well.

#4 tcchittyjr

tcchittyjr

Sputnik

• Loc: Orlando, FL

Posted 11 December 2018 - 07:38 PM

I found this article on the PixInsight forum:

https://pixinsight.c...g60115#msg60115

TomC

#5 rms40

rms40

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 12 December 2018 - 09:04 AM

Maybe it's the way SKYX is naming them. I have some control over that. I'm glad to see that others have this issue and I am not just making a silly mistake. I am new with PI and have not quite finished my first image yet. I have captured more data in the meantime and really like the auto stretched Blink images for checking out the data.

TomC, I will check out the article. I looked at  it briefly and it looked like it was about SGP. I will look at the article in detail. Surely Blink has some type of sort algorithm for images.

Randall

#6 BenKolt

BenKolt

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 12 December 2018 - 12:00 PM

When loading a group of files all at once into Blink it will order them alphabetically, so as was suggested elsewhere, naming the files in such a way that alphabetical order and time sequential order match is your easiest option.  I also note that if you then add another group of files to Blink they, are listed after the first group regardless of any other order.

Ben

#7 rms40

rms40

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 13 December 2018 - 02:36 PM

Thanks, Ben. I will have to look at the SKYX naming and see if I can make it come out alphabetical. I have temp in there and it does change slightly. Maybe that is it. I will see about taking it out of the file name. I could just put it in as a fixed "set" temp so I can stay organized and use the right darks.

Randall

#8 rms40

rms40

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 20 December 2018 - 07:35 PM

I think I have it working in capture order the way I want. I took out temperature from the file name since it varies. I put it in the fixed part of the file name. Then, I sorted by date on the open screen and the images came out in the order I wanted. Maybe I didn't need to do the date sort since it may be alphabetical but I did and it worked. I will try it again when I have some time.

Randall

#9 pbkoden

pbkoden

Mariner 2

Posted 20 December 2018 - 07:39 PM

I was just looking for a solution for this this morning. I agree that it would be great to be able to sort by timestamp as well.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics