•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

150 MAK vs. Comet 46P/Wirtanen

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 k5apl

k5apl

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Arkansas

Posted 11 December 2018 - 12:31 PM

Looked at the comet last night from our "dark" observing site.  Could see it naked eye. With my MAK and a 40mm eyepiece I

could see the difuse circular glow with a bright small core close to the center.  Seemed the comet was sightly skewed so it wasn't

exactly circular.  It was a really nice view, and also looked good in binoculars too.

Wes

TEC MAK6

ES 40mm 62* eyepiece

Baader BBHS diagonal

Edited by k5apl, 11 December 2018 - 12:32 PM.

• Lewis Cason, Jaimo!, eros312 and 3 others like this

#2 StarMike8SE

StarMike8SE

Apollo

• Loc: Florida

Posted 11 December 2018 - 01:29 PM

I have been thinking of a 150 Mak.  Good to know it gave you good views

#3 Codbear

Codbear

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Novato, CA

Posted 11 December 2018 - 01:44 PM

I observed it last night with my TEC180 at 100x and it looked very similar to your description. I am in a semi-rural setting, so timing counts.

I couldn't see it naked eye at 8:00 pm when I was observing, but at 12:30 am, even though it was significantly lower in the sky, due to the reduction in ambient light with most everyone asleep, I could easily see it as a diffuse ball with just my astronomy glasses.

#4 k5apl

k5apl

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Arkansas

Posted 11 December 2018 - 02:21 PM

I like that picture of your astronomy glasses...it was very faint but naked eye in our location it was visible with straight on vision.  I'm going to try to view tonight at my house in town (if the clouds cooperate).

I like my TEC MAK6 because it has great contrast and sharpness; in fact stars are sharp to almost the very edge

with my set-up.  The 50X is about right for me to cruise the sky.  Its light and easy to balance on the mount, so

I can recommend a 150 MAK (I have Rumak version) for you.  I think you'll like it.

Wes

• StarMike8SE likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics