•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

11" RASA + ZWO mini filter wheel?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 andysea

andysea

Gemini

• topic starter
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 11 December 2018 - 10:11 PM

Question for the group: has anyone used the 11" Celestron Rasa with a ZWO mini filter wheel and a ZWO mono camera?

#2 akulapanam

akulapanam

Vanguard

Posted 12 December 2018 - 06:12 PM

I think you are going to have significant issues with that setup. Really the only option for filters on Hyperstar or a RASA is a qsi or filter slider. Even an Atik One is problematic. It’s not just diffraction either but also vignetting at corners of the field even on a 1” chip like a 694

Full 2” filters are ideal here

Edited by akulapanam, 12 December 2018 - 06:16 PM.

#3 andysea

andysea

Gemini

• topic starter

Posted 12 December 2018 - 08:31 PM

Yeah full 2" filters and a filter drawer should work as I have seen some images taken with that setup. ZWO says that the 31mm unmounted filters can be used with f/2 systems so that's why I was thinking of the mini FW.

The other issue that I was worrying about tho was the FW sticking out into the light path. Do you know how large is the secondary assembly on the 11" RASA?

#4 akulapanam

akulapanam

Vanguard

Posted 12 December 2018 - 08:36 PM

Yeah full 2" filters and a filter drawer should work as I have seen some images taken with that setup. ZWO says that the 31mm unmounted filters can be used with f/2 systems so that's why I was thinking of the mini FW.
The other issue that I was worrying about tho was the FW sticking out into the light path. Do you know how large is the secondary assembly on the 11" RASA?

115mm . The diffraction artifacts can be an issue but it isn’t horrible. On my F3 RH200 I need a 36mm filter with the 694. On Hyperstar I needed 2” for the identically sized 814. However distance to the chip is a big consideration, the closer it is the smaller the filter needed.

Edited by akulapanam, 12 December 2018 - 08:37 PM.

#5 andysea

andysea

Gemini

• topic starter

Posted 12 December 2018 - 08:43 PM

Hm thanks! Lot's to think about. Off topic question: is your RH200 the new one with the carbon fiber tube or the original one? And what focuser do you use with it?

#6 akulapanam

akulapanam

Vanguard

Posted 12 December 2018 - 11:55 PM

Hm thanks! Lot's to think about. Off topic question: is your RH200 the new one with the carbon fiber tube or the original one? And what focuser do you use with it?

I use an Optec Leo.  Easy to access the tilt adjustment screws, can handle a large train, very thin, and uses the same controller as my existing feathertouch focusers.

Mine is a MY2017 and the shell is carbon fiber.  Focus shift over the past couple of nights has been about 200 steps (.079 microns each) over about 5 hours with 10 degree temp drop.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics