•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Big Scope Flat Frame Automation

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jsowens

jsowens

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 December 2018 - 03:20 PM

I'd been using the EL panel system for my flat frames for months.  I taped the EL sheet to the rear of a 1/8 sheet of HIPS and attached to my observatory wall.  For each filter I would slew to it and expose.  This worked well but I noticed while slewing that I would lose focus as the OTA traveled and the mirror shifted/flopped.  The 4 additional slews also complicated automation. All of this was manageable but enough of a hassle that I went seeking something better.  I looked at the Flatman, but no automated product for a 14" scope, same was true for Aurora and the others.

I realized I would need to engineer something on my own.  I tried many EL configurations to address these issues (reticulating arms, booms, lampshades, attaching it to the dome shutter) but all had tradeoffs and were less than perfect.  In the end, a shaft/disk/stepper assembly worked the best and was the most stable.

Cost was about $600 all-in (I already had the Astrozap shield) which included the Arduino, stepper motor, stepper driver, shaft, pillow blocks, flanges, EL disk, EL inverter and the sheet of HIPS.

I figured I'd share as a flat alternative to those who are also looking for a fully automated solution for a big scope.

See it in action here:
https://www.youtube....eature=youtu.be

Edited by jsowens, 12 December 2018 - 03:26 PM.

#2 jsowens

jsowens

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 December 2018 - 03:21 PM

1-min.JPG

#3 jsowens

jsowens

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 December 2018 - 03:22 PM

2-min.JPG

#4 jsowens

jsowens

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 December 2018 - 03:22 PM

3-min.JPG

#5 jsowens

jsowens

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 December 2018 - 03:23 PM

4-min.JPG

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics