•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Clear night in the rainy season

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Araguaia

Araguaia

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: deepest, darkest Brazil

Posted 12 December 2018 - 04:10 PM

Today is the * first * day where the sky is clear at day's end since early October.  That is the rainy season at the edge of the Amazon-Cerrado ecotone for you.  A good one this year too!  The river has risen almost 3 meters already and we are hoping for a big flood.

It caught me completely off guard.  I will not be setting up the 12" Dob in a hurry, and I will not be obsessively dark adapting.  The Moon is out anyway.  But I might go out with the 10x42 binoculars and have a look at the Moon, Mars, rising Orion, Andromeda, and the Sculptor Galaxy.  No doubt it will be the last for many months.  But I will have to brave a swarm of stinging biodiversity, so it will be brief.

Now, if the 127mm wooden refractor were built, instead of a bunch of parts sitting in a box waiting for me to have the time, that would be a different matter.    

• DHEB and Thomas Marshall like this

#2 B l a k S t a r

B l a k S t a r

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Posted 12 December 2018 - 04:49 PM

Good luck and greetings from Canada. If you are able, as I'm not sure it's in your sky, try to get a look at comet 46P/Wirtanen. Many in NA and EU are seeing it in binos. It's in Taurus tracking toward Pleaides. Pleiades 

Edited by B l a k S t a r, 12 December 2018 - 05:01 PM.

• Astroman007 likes this

#3 Astroman007

Astroman007

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Northern Ontario, Canada

Posted 12 December 2018 - 05:02 PM

Good luck and greetings from Canada. If you are able, as I'm not sure it's in your sky, try to get a look at comet 46P/Wirtanen. Many in NA and EU are seeing it in binos. It's in Taurus tracking toward Pleaides. 

Seconded. It is also an easy catch by naked eye from a dark site (like where I live).

#4 Araguaia

Araguaia

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 13 December 2018 - 03:46 AM

Well, it turned out to be a perfect evening for observing planetary detail.  Near the terminator, I was able to see wonderful atmospheric scattering and diffraction effects on the light of a nearby star.  Gaseous H2O and dust particles were easily inferred, with local density variations expressed as color differences.  Later, a few nearby stars were also briefly observed, heavily extincted by the intervening molecular gas clouds.  Somewhere behind it all, no doubt, there was a comet.   grin.gif

• B l a k S t a r likes this

#5 Araguaia

Araguaia

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 13 December 2018 - 03:46 AM

Well, it turned out to be a perfect evening for observing planetary detail.  Near the terminator, I was able to see wonderful atmospheric scattering and diffraction effects on the light of a nearby star.  Gaseous H2O and dust particles were easily inferred, with local density variations expressed as color differences.  Later, a few nearby stars were also briefly observed, heavily extincted by the intervening molecular gas clouds.  Somewhere behind it all, no doubt, there was a comet.   grin.gif

#6 B l a k S t a r

B l a k S t a r

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Posted 13 December 2018 - 04:04 AM

I can confirm it!  Glad you got some sights in. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics