•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Ideal planet scope.

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#101 Deep13

Deep13

Skylab

• topic starter
  • Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 19 January 2019 - 01:14 AM

focuser.jpg

Installed the new focuser. It's kind of odd. It has a small range of motion with the knobs, but the draw tube has another drawtube that I guess one puts in the right vicinity and then uses the knows to complete the focus. Weird.

#102 Deep13

Deep13

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 19 January 2019 - 01:16 AM

focuser 2.jpg

#103 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 19 January 2019 - 10:15 AM

Here is a planet killer as far as optics go. Mount is worthless junk that jitters at the touch and a image will dance around for 8 secs.  This was a 1975 Cervit mirror by Cave that was refigured by Galaxy in 1988. Every bit as good as my Zambuto's were. Mars was super last week at 500x.  But it will need a pricey mount like a used AP1200 non GO-TO mount or maybe a AP 900 can do ok with it.

2rogxld.jpg

• Deep13, Paul Morow and Bomber Bob like this

#104 ltha

ltha

Viking 1

• Loc: Bend, Oregon

Posted 19 January 2019 - 10:19 AM

Nice installation! I am slowly restoring a unique Cave 12.75” and replaced the old focuser with a Moonlight dual speed. The scope was commissioned by Dr Henry Paul who specified a Skymicro 1.25” focuser. By the time it came to me it had an old 2” focuser that was period correct but a pain to use. Much better now!

You have an absolutely beautiful scope!

Attached Thumbnails

• 84B2118F-6B22-427D-A0CF-B64B031DE12B.jpeg

Edited by ltha, 19 January 2019 - 10:20 AM.

• Deep13 and Bomber Bob like this

#105 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 19 January 2019 - 11:50 AM

Nice installation! I am slowly restoring a unique Cave 12.75” and replaced the old focuser with a Moonlight dual speed. The scope was commissioned by Dr Henry Paul who specified a Skymicro 1.25” focuser. By the time it came to me it had an old 2” focuser that was period correct but a pain to use. Much better now!

You have an absolutely beautiful scope!

You have the same finder i do, but newer rings.

#106 ltha

ltha

Viking 1

• Loc: Bend, Oregon

Posted 19 January 2019 - 03:18 PM

Another beautiful scope Charles! I would agree about Cave mounts, they can be OK, but lots of play in the ones I owned. The AP 1200 would be a nice upgrade, or an old Schaefer if you can find one. The Schaefer I bought from Chuck Burton is a world better than the Cave. Very stable, tracking is excellent and it looks great with the scope. Downside is the connectors and plugs being a bit dated and hard to find. I am still searching for a dec controller....

Edited by ltha, 19 January 2019 - 03:19 PM.

#107 Deep13

Deep13

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 27 January 2019 - 12:50 AM

Only thing I'm waiting on is the 8" f/8 mirror from Ostahowski. I'm wondering if I should replace the secondary holder (and, therefore, the spider) with an Astrosystems model. The old secondary cracked at that leading edge in the holder. I would know that a new holder would be exactly the right size as my new Antares secondary. Also, the collimation screws on the old holder are slotted and a bit dodgy. For another thing there are only three screws, not the usual 4. The holder is proprietary to that spider, so replacing one means doing both.

How does one install a spider since it is wider than the tube?

#108 Deep13

Deep13

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 29 January 2019 - 01:22 AM

Got the main mirror. That was quick. I will install it this weekend assuming it's not subzero weather.

#109 Deep13

Deep13

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted Yesterday, 01:17 AM

I have the optics. The secondary holder is pretty old and it has three slotted machine screws for collimation. They seem a bit nackered and the guy at the hardware store can't figure out which size they are. I'm also not absolutely sure the secondary will fit properly in the supplied holder. So, for a little more than nominal cost I ordered a new holder and spider (the old spider only fits its holder) from Astro Systems. So, I've got a few weeks to wait for it, then I will install the mirrors.

My favorite way to attach the primary to the cell is with three blobs of silicone glue. Unfortunately, the primary has a raised edge on the non-aluminum side that will prevent that attachment method. So, I'll have to use the clips.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics