•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

NOW AVAILABLE! Our New Explore Scientific iEXOS 100 PMC-Eight $399

• Please log in to reply
311 replies to this topic

#301 Jerry Hubbell

Jerry Hubbell

Vendor-Explore Scientific

• Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Locust Grove, VA, USA

Posted 12 July 2019 - 12:00 PM

Hi Jerry, tried to find the information on when I would need to use the reset button and what it actually does but couldn't find anything.

I would appreciate it if you could provide some info on that button functionality.

Thanks!

Newfie, that last shot is outstanding! What power adapter are you using? Is it actually in balance with just the two counterweights?

Hi asanmax,

The little reset button on the iEXOS 100 momentarily removes power and restores the power when released to reboot the system and reinitializes the WiFi module also. On the G11 and EXOS 2, the reset button will reboot the controller (without removing power) and leave the WiFi module running, so the WiFi connection does not drop and remains established. The difference is related to the differences in the WiFi modules.

#302 asanmax

asanmax

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 12 July 2019 - 12:53 PM

Hi asanmax,

The little reset button on the iEXOS 100 momentarily removes power and restores the power when released to reboot the system and reinitializes the WiFi module also. On the G11 and EXOS 2, the reset button will reboot the controller (without removing power) and leave the WiFi module running, so the WiFi connection does not drop and remains established. The difference is related to the differences in the WiFi modules.

Thank you Jerry, so I won't blow any factory configuration to the point of no return? It's just the same as if I would unplug and plug back in the power cable?

#303 Jerry Hubbell

Jerry Hubbell

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 12 July 2019 - 02:39 PM

Thank you Jerry, so I won't blow any factory configuration to the point of no return? It's just the same as if I would unplug and plug back in the power cable?

Yes

#304 wanthalf

wanthalf

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 14 July 2019 - 07:14 AM

I managed to install ExploreStars on a custom Android device, but I cannot find how to change the location of the database to the internal storage. It is still looking for the database in an alternative location. There is no place for another SD card in the device, so I have to use the main storage.

Edited by wanthalf, 14 July 2019 - 07:14 AM.

#305 Jerry Hubbell

Jerry Hubbell

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 14 July 2019 - 03:47 PM

I managed to install ExploreStars on a custom Android device, but I cannot find how to change the location of the database to the internal storage. It is still looking for the database in an alternative location. There is no place for another SD card in the device, so I have to use the main storage.

Hi wanthalf,

I think the location in the ExploreStars app for the database file is not currently user settable. I will talk to Dan our ExploreStars developer to see if that can be changed to a user settable value.

#306 wanthalf

wanthalf

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 14 July 2019 - 06:57 PM

Hi wanthalf,

I think the location in the ExploreStars app for the database file is not currently user settable. I will talk to Dan our ExploreStars developer to see if that can be changed to a user settable value.

Thank you very much. I am sure that should not be difficult to implement and would help many people. Beginners would probably prefer the app to download and manage the data by itself, but I am happy with manual installation which can be customized. At the moment it just feels like everything were done just to prevent me using this app... :-D

#307 asanmax

asanmax

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 15 July 2019 - 10:16 AM

Thank you very much. I am sure that should not be difficult to implement and would help many people. Beginners would probably prefer the app to download and manage the data by itself, but I am happy with manual installation which can be customized. At the moment it just feels like everything were done just to prevent me using this app... :-D

Good points, I would also like to see this in the future.

After having using the app for some time, I can definitely see the bright future for it. Finding objects using the graphical interface instead of looking up the names on the standard hand controller is a huge change and I like this a lot.

At this point I personally would like to see the following improvements:

1. DB integrated with the app so there is no need to use the external DB.

2. Adaptation to regular 6"-ish smartphone screens. Considering iEXOS-100 as a portable setup, I would prefer to carry my smartphone around instead of a 10" tablet.

Other than that, good job on creating a universal portable mount! I also appreciate all the help that Jerry and Kent have been providing, it's always nice when you know that your questions will be answered in a timely manner.

#308 PatrickVt

PatrickVt

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Vermont, US

Posted 15 July 2019 - 12:18 PM

Good points, I would also like to see this in the future.

After having using the app for some time, I can definitely see the bright future for it. Finding objects using the graphical interface instead of looking up the names on the standard hand controller is a huge change and I like this a lot.

At this point I personally would like to see the following improvements:

1. DB integrated with the app so there is no need to use the external DB.

2. Adaptation to regular 6"-ish smartphone screens. Considering iEXOS-100 as a portable setup, I would prefer to carry my smartphone around instead of a 10" tablet.

Other than that, good job on creating a universal portable mount! I also appreciate all the help that Jerry and Kent have been providing, it's always nice when you know that your questions will be answered in a timely manner.

Jerry will probably chime in here but I'll provide what I know and suspect...  

1.  Scott Roberts explained in one of the videos that the database is separate from the app for two reasons...   a) to keep the size of the app small which allows them to keep it free in the usual app marketplaces.  And b), keeping the app and database separate allows ES to occasionally update the database with no affect on the app and vice versa.  

2.  I admit that I originally thought that using this app on a phone would be convenient.  However, after using the app on various tablets, I can honestly say that a smaller screen size would probably cause more 'fat finger' issues.  As it is, people are having some fat finger issues with 8 inch tablets.  After using this app myself, I know that there is no way I could ever get my fingers to fluidly use the app on a smaller screen.  (And yes, I do have big problems with fat fingers when using any apps on my phone...  so my phone only gets turned on when I need to make a call which turns out to be about four times each year.)  I'd rather keep using Explore Stars on a tablet in the 8-10" range to avoid any confusion as to whether a problem is an app problem or a fat finger problem.  The one possibility for a phone app would be if they could divide the current "Home page" into separate screens so they could make each section large enough to be used on a phone.  A swipe-able four page 'Home page' might be possible.  Although, I'm still not sure I would not have a fat finger problem.  It could potentially be useful for others, however.

Patrick

• Jerry Hubbell likes this

#309 asanmax

asanmax

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 15 July 2019 - 12:36 PM

Jerry will probably chime in here but I'll provide what I know and suspect...  

1.  Scott Roberts explained in one of the videos that the database is separate from the app for two reasons...   a) to keep the size of the app small which allows them to keep it free in the usual app marketplaces.  And b), keeping the app and database separate allows ES to occasionally update the database with no affect on the app and vice versa.  

2.  I admit that I originally thought that using this app on a phone would be convenient.  However, after using the app on various tablets, I can honestly say that a smaller screen size would probably cause more 'fat finger' issues.  As it is, people are having some fat finger issues with 8 inch tablets.  After using this app myself, I know that there is no way I could ever get my fingers to fluidly use the app on a smaller screen.  (And yes, I do have big problems with fat fingers when using any apps on my phone...  so my phone only gets turned on when I need to make a call which turns out to be about four times each year.)  I'd rather keep using Explore Stars on a tablet in the 8-10" range to avoid any confusion as to whether a problem is an app problem or a fat finger problem.  The one possibility for a phone app would be if they could divide the current "Home page" into separate screens so they could make each section large enough to be used on a phone.  A swipe-able four page 'Home page' might be possible.  Although, I'm still not sure I would not have a fat finger problem.  It could potentially be useful for others, however.

Patrick

Thanks Patrick, always appreciate your opinion.

If the size is what keeps the app free than I'm all for it.

As to the fat-finger issue, I agree with you that the app as it is now is not convenient to be used on a smaller screens.

The user interface of the app can/should be redesigned to adjust to the smaller screens. They could make it a tabbed version where the joystick would be on the first screen, you swipe right and you see the numeric keypad and navigation keys, one more swipe and here is your catalog, and so on...

It may just be the funding that prevents ES from adapting to the smaller screens. App developing/testing cycle is brutal.

For fat fingers there is an inexpensive solution from ES:

https://explorescien...c-eight-tsb4-00

• Jerry Hubbell and PatrickVt like this

#310 ssa2294

ssa2294

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 15 July 2019 - 09:08 PM

I just ordered an iexos-100, and downloaded the PMC-Eight ASCOM drivers. Getting myself somewhat familiar with the configuration utility I see the option to select scope, and in the list is iExos-300. So I have to ask, is there a newer or different mount soon on the way?

#311 Jerry Hubbell

Jerry Hubbell

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 15 July 2019 - 10:13 PM

I just ordered an iexos-100, and downloaded the PMC-Eight ASCOM drivers. Getting myself somewhat familiar with the configuration utility I see the option to select scope, and in the list is iExos-300. So I have to ask, is there a newer or different mount soon on the way?

I'm not saying!!  

• PatrickVt likes this

#312 wanthalf

wanthalf

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 16 July 2019 - 03:01 PM

The user interface of the app can/should be redesigned to adjust to the smaller screens. They could make it a tabbed version where the joystick would be on the first screen, you swipe right and you see the numeric keypad and navigation keys, one more swipe and here is your catalog, and so on...

I agree completely! The app is a crucial component of the mount, replacing clumsy and expensive single-purpose hardware hand controllers. It is worth to invest at least as much effort into its development as into the product itself, in order to make it as usable as possible. A badly designed controller app can ruin the value of the product, even if it were mechanically perfect. And the great advantage of software is that you can always improve your software and release updates with fixes and new features without additional manufacturing/shipping cost, unlike in the case of hardware. A tabbed compact phone controller would be great, of course. For me, the open documentation is an even more important factor - even if the official app weren't perfect or wouldn't suit me well, I can always create my own app or other software controller. I just wonder that people behind the SkySafari app still ignore the device.

And the database does not need to be a part of the app. Many applications can download, install and manage (update, move between locations, etc.) their own additional (free or paid) databases, maps, catalogues, extensions or plugins, according to the needs of particular users.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics