•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

NOW AVAILABLE! Our New Explore Scientific iEXOS 100 PMC-Eight $399

• Please log in to reply
507 replies to this topic

#26 Jerry Hubbell

Jerry Hubbell

Vendor-Explore Scientific

• Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Locust Grove, VA, USA

Posted 21 December 2018 - 12:11 AM

Thanks for posting the link to the manual.  

I had one more question which I did not see answered in the manual though...  the 12v power jack...  is it the same size as on the EXOS-2GT?  (5.5mm x 2.5mm)  Or is it a 5.5mm x 2.1mm jack?  I just want to ensure I have all the right parts and pieces here before I order everything.

Thanks again.

Patrick

Hi Patrick,

The 12 Vdc jack is the 5.5mm x 2.1mm one:

https://www.digikey....ords=CP-037A-ND

The center pin is + (positive) and the barrel is -  (negative, common).

Edited by Jerry Hubbell, 21 December 2018 - 12:13 AM.

• PatrickVt likes this

#27 PatrickVt

PatrickVt

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Vermont, US

Posted 21 December 2018 - 10:21 AM

The description is accurate in that you would look through the tunnel and sight Polaris. This tunnel diameter is not as large as a standard polar alignment scopes that you would put on an EXOS 2 mount or the G11. One suggestion is that you could possibly use a laser mounted in the tunnel to point to Polaris. Of course you need to follow the guidelines for pointing the laser at the sky and steer clear of aircraft. 

If the polar alignment hole is smaller than on the G11, I guess I might need to somehow manufacture my own mounting adapter to mount my Polemaster.  That might be the one let down on this mount.  I wish that QHY provided mechanical drawing spec sheets for each of their mounting adapters so I tell whether one of the smaller ones or generic ones might fit or be easily adaptable.  Of course, by the time my sky clears up here in snowy, cloudy Vermont, QHY may have an adapter made for this new mount. 

Then again, I may find that just sighting Polaris through the narrow finder is good enough especially if I use my autoguider.  

Patrick

#28 Jerry Hubbell

Jerry Hubbell

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 21 December 2018 - 11:15 AM

I have been discussing with Scott Roberts the possibility of us offering an adapter to mount the PoleMaster on the iEXOS 100 PMC-Eight mount as you suggest. We are not offering anything at this time we are just in the discussion phase.

• ChrisMoses likes this

#29 PatrickVt

PatrickVt

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 21 December 2018 - 11:57 AM

I have been discussing with Scott Roberts the possibility of us offering an adapter to mount the PoleMaster on the iEXOS 100 PMC-Eight mount as you suggest. We are not offering anything at this time we are just in the discussion phase.

For what its worth, I'd purchase one!  That would be great.

Patrick

• Tjn58 likes this

#30 PatrickVt

PatrickVt

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 21 December 2018 - 01:23 PM

I installed the app...  seems to work but obviously not showing a database.  

Then I downloaded the Celestial Database...  followed the instructions in the video....   unzip...  then drag the three files to the Pictures folder (in the video, he literally says "drag the three files to the Pictures folder but, really, I'm uncertain whether he means the three files AND the Images folder... common sense tells me it should be the Images folder too)...  when I try to open Explore Stars app, is says no database.

So then I deleted what I moved to the Pictures folder and started over.

I unzip...  drag the three files and the one folder over to the Pictures folder...  Explore Stars still says no database.

I again delete what I had moved into my Pictures folder...  this time I decide to unzip by extracting everything to the Pictures folder...  now when I attempt to open Explore Stars, it is in indefinite "Please Wait" mode.  It has been well over twenty minutes and it still tells me to "Please Wait".  

What am I missing?  Is the "Please Wait" prompt simply because it is trying to connect to a telescope that has not arrived yet (I ordered it last night) and really has nothing to do with the database?  

Patrick

Post Edit:  I went back to the app to see what happens when I click on any of the object icons at the top...  all the image files and data seems to load.  So, this is probably a silly question at this point but, am I correct in now thinking that "Please Wait" means the app is trying to connect to a telescope that has not yet arrived yet?  

#31 Jerry Hubbell

Jerry Hubbell

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 21 December 2018 - 01:49 PM

I installed the app...  seems to work but obviously not showing a database.  

Then I downloaded the Celestial Database...  followed the instructions in the video....   unzip...  then drag the three files to the Pictures folder (in the video, he literally says "drag the three files to the Pictures folder but, really, I'm uncertain whether he means the three files AND the Images folder... common sense tells me it should be the Images folder too)...  when I try to open Explore Stars app, is says no database.

So then I deleted what I moved to the Pictures folder and started over.

I unzip...  drag the three files and the one folder over to the Pictures folder...  Explore Stars still says no database.

I again delete what I had moved into my Pictures folder...  this time I decide to unzip by extracting everything to the Pictures folder...  now when I attempt to open Explore Stars, it is in indefinite "Please Wait" mode.  It has been well over twenty minutes and it still tells me to "Please Wait".  

What am I missing?  Is the "Please Wait" prompt simply because it is trying to connect to a telescope that has not arrived yet (I ordered it last night) and really has nothing to do with the database?  

Patrick

Post Edit:  I went back to the app to see what happens when I click on any of the object icons at the top...  all the image files and data seems to load.  So, this is probably a silly question at this point but, am I correct in now thinking that "Please Wait" means the app is trying to connect to a telescope that has not yet arrived yet?  

Hi Patrick,

Yes, the Please Wait is what you get when it is trying to connect to the controller over WiFi. To startup the system, you first turn on the PMC-Eight controller, connect to it via WiFi on your device (example SSID: PMC-Eight-C6), and then after that you start the ExploreStars application. Once the Please Wait goes away you will see the compass rose virtual joystick. The data transmit light (amber LED) will be lit up on the controller so you know it is communicating with the ExploreStars application. You can find out more about the operation of the system from this Knowledge Base article:

http://hosted.comm10...21&siteid=56501

• PatrickVt likes this

#32 PatrickVt

PatrickVt

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 21 December 2018 - 02:18 PM

Thanks, Jerry.  I guess I'm getting ahead of myself.

Patrick

Edited by PatrickVt, 21 December 2018 - 02:29 PM.

#33 Jerry Hubbell

Jerry Hubbell

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 21 December 2018 - 02:49 PM

No worries Patrick, I like your enthusiasm!

#34 tkottary

tkottary

Ranger 4

• Loc: San Jose,CA

Posted 22 December 2018 - 03:11 PM

Is the mount   software compatible with Indi? 

#35 Jerry Hubbell

Jerry Hubbell

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 22 December 2018 - 07:44 PM

Is the mount   software compatible with Indi? 

Yes, the iEXOS 100 PMC-Eight mount is fully compatible with the INDI driver developed by Michael Fulbright. If you run Linux with INDI and KStars and other INDI clients I would be interested in hearing about your experience and I am sure that Michael would be glad to work with you and talk to you about the PMC-Eight INDI driver.

Thanks for your  interest.

• tkottary and PatrickVt like this

#36 lordhope

lordhope

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 23 December 2018 - 07:27 AM

Hi, Jerry.

how can European citizens buy?

ES does not deliver in the EU, as far as I know.

#37 Jerry Hubbell

Jerry Hubbell

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 23 December 2018 - 03:47 PM

Hi, Jerry.

how can European citizens buy?

ES does not deliver in the EU, as far as I know.

Hi,

I think you can order from our online store and we ship anywhere in the world. I don't know how much it would cost to ship to Europe though.

https://explorescien...ts/es-iexos-100

You should call our customer support line +1 (866) 252-3811 ext 2, or email service@explorescientific.com to verify this.

Edited by Jerry Hubbell, 23 December 2018 - 03:48 PM.

• PatrickVt likes this

#38 PatrickVt

PatrickVt

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 23 December 2018 - 10:24 PM

Until a specific adapter for the PoleMaster becomes available for the iEXOS-100, I think I'll use this adapter to mount my PoleMaster (when the mount arrives and I get some clear skies)...  https://www.highpoin...unting-vpa-pole

Patrick

#39 Startex

Startex

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 24 December 2018 - 10:06 AM

So the payload capacity includes the weights? Meaning for photography the max is a 10 lb. scope and the two 2.5 lb. counterweights?

#40 Jerry Hubbell

Jerry Hubbell

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 24 December 2018 - 11:23 AM

The mount can carry 19 lbs, of which 4.5 lbs is the counterweights. So if you reduce the 15 lb instrument capacity down to 10 lbs for astrophotography that would be reasonable.

#41 Startex

Startex

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 24 December 2018 - 11:30 PM

I am considering this scope on it.  https://explorescien...matic-refractor

Can I get a combo deal?!

#42 Jerry Hubbell

Jerry Hubbell

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 25 December 2018 - 01:14 PM

Hi,

If you go to explorescientificusa.com you can get 10% off your purchase as a new customer. 

• PatrickVt likes this

#43 Startex

Startex

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 26 December 2018 - 03:12 AM

How long is the 399.00 price good for?

#44 Jerry Hubbell

Jerry Hubbell

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 26 December 2018 - 06:09 AM

I don't know. It may last a few months or a few weeks.
  • PatrickVt likes this

#45 Startex

Startex

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 27 December 2018 - 05:03 AM

So in regards to the PMC 8 unit, it will run the mount/scope with the simplicity of a handheld controller via phone and app? Laptops, tables and chairs etc.. are not conducive to a quick observing session on a weeknight.

#46 PatrickVt

PatrickVt

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 27 December 2018 - 06:30 AM

So in regards to the PMC 8 unit, it will run the mount/scope with the simplicity of a handheld controller via phone and app? Laptops, tables and chairs etc.. are not conducive to a quick observing session on a weeknight.

Yes, Explore Stars runs on android, Windows, and iOS.  It actually has more functionality than the hand controller for the EXOS-2GT and it seems far easier to use.  Plus, no cord so I'd say setup is quicker and easier than the EXOS-2GT with its corded hand controller. As long as everything is charged up and ready to go it is a piece of cake.  You are replacing the hand controller and cord with a tablet, phone or computer, if preferred.

Here is the link for the apps...  https://explorescien...mc-eight-system

One disclaimer I'd add is that a tablet would probably be far easier to use than a phone that is on the small side.  Newer phones are larger though.

Patrick

PS...  You could always install the app and see how it works before you purchase the mount.

Edited by PatrickVt, 27 December 2018 - 06:32 AM.

• Jerry Hubbell and Ahab like this

#47 Jerry Hubbell

Jerry Hubbell

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 27 December 2018 - 09:51 AM

One disclaimer I'd add is that a tablet would probably be far easier to use than a phone that is on the small side.  Newer phones are larger though.

Patrick

PS...  You could always install the app and see how it works before you purchase the mount.

Currently ExploreStars only works on Windows Tablets/PC, Android tablets, and on the Apple iPAD. We have plans to adapt the user interface to the small phone screens but there is no release date planned yet.

• PatrickVt likes this

#48 Startex

Startex

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 27 December 2018 - 03:52 PM

Well I ordered the EXOS2-GT with PMC, while watching the video on the PMC system Jerry mentioned mounting a 102 with a DSLR on the iEXOS-100 would be pushing it. With the current sale and a 10% first purchase discount I'm upgrading the maximum payload capacity by almost 50% for just 230.00 more which opens it up to many more scopes. I currently have a Burgess Optics 127 achro that weighs 15 lbs so that won't be a problem and in the future I plan on using a Celestron 8SE on it.

Edited by Startex, 27 December 2018 - 04:27 PM.

• Jerry Hubbell and PatrickVt like this

#49 darkjuan

darkjuan

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 29 December 2018 - 11:02 AM

Im really really interested in this ...  gotta get the $ first !!!!

#50 Rmorales6

Rmorales6

Sputnik

• Loc: Virginia Beach

Posted 29 December 2018 - 06:32 PM

Would I be able to put the mount head on a CG-5 tripod? I'm curious if I can put it on my SVP pier extension. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics